HDMI Releases 1.4a Specification

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
HDMI Licensing, LLC, the agent responsible for licensing the High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) specification, today announced the release of HDMI Specification Version 1.4a featuring key enhancements for 3D applications including the addition of mandatory 3D formats for broadcast content as well as the addition of the 3D format referred to as Top-and-Bottom. The complete HDMI Specification Version 1.4a, along with the 1.4a version of the Compliance Test Specification (CTS), is available to Adopters on the HDMI Adopter Extranet.

Discuss "HDMI Releases 1.4a Specification" here. Read the article.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
so now how long till the next HDMI spec comes out?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
When will the Denon AVP-A1HDCI have HDMI1.4a?

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
funny, everybody hates new HDMI formats but everyone gets in line to wait for the new "1.4" devices.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I don't care about 3D, and I don't need the audio return channel, or etherenet via HDMI, so I don't see how I would benefit from the new 1.4 spec. Not to mention I've already spent a lot of money on my current gear, I don't plan on upgrading everything just to have HDMI 1.4.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Same problems follow computer enthusiasts - new and improved hardware comes out basically weekly... one just can't have the latest the greatest all the time unless very considerable budget is dedicated to that.
HT technology evolution is just beginning to pickup the pace.
HDMI versions race is just one of indicators. Dolby versions I never heard of (z/x) not to mention new video formats and optical disk media types.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Most of the word is that if you have good HDMI cables then they can meet the HDMI 1.4 specification for everything except Ethernet and (I believe) audio return channel.

The cabling will support 3D, and the gear will support the cables. So, a player like Panasonic's new 3D BD player, if anyone is interested, will work with your existing receiver and a direct to 3D display connection.

What I'm wondering is if manufacturers will be under any burden at all to publish owner licensing information at all with HDMI and HDCP for more advanced setups, like Projector & flat panel setups which need/require dual HDMI feeds, yet HDCP often blocks this connectivity.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
When are we going to start using Display Port?

*Profanity*

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
My favorite part is def got to be the *.*a

Same $hit different Pyle.... b should be right around the corner and then c by the end of the year

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Most of the word is that if you have good HDMI cables then they can meet the HDMI 1.4 specification for everything except Ethernet and (I believe) audio return channel.

The cabling will support 3D, and the gear will support the cables. So, a player like Panasonic's new 3D BD player, if anyone is interested, will work with your existing receiver and a direct to 3D display connection.

What I'm wondering is if manufacturers will be under any burden at all to publish owner licensing information at all with HDMI and HDCP for more advanced setups, like Projector & flat panel setups which need/require dual HDMI feeds, yet HDCP often blocks this connectivity.
Then, there are situations like a friend is dealing with in the system he installed. It has a Denon receiver, Sharp flat screen TV, U-Verse, DVD and Wii. If the TV is off and the receiver is switched to play the tuner, no audio comes out. If the TV is turned on, the tuner works, whether the TV is left on or not. Denon said the TV needs a firmware upgrade but that didn't work. He had to create a macro just to use the tuner.

E

egreen1976

Junior Audioholic
The "cable" upgrade cycle is ridiculous. I've been eyeing pre pros for 3 years now, waiting for not so eminent releases, finding offerings that were lacking of features i felt were essential. Not that I care about the 1.4 capabilities at the moment but I would like to drop $2500 on a pre pro without having to worry about desiring 1.4 in a year or so. The computer cycle isn't quite the same, if I want usb 3.0 it's a matter of a PCI card.

Sadly, all the compression, codecs and constant upgrading has drivin me back to analog audio. So now I'll pay top dollar for an analog preamp with HT bypass, I'll by a cheaper processor such as (UMC-1) and then I dont have to have the expectation of the processor being current for 4+years.

Hdmi 1.4 snow leopard - what a joke!

so now how long till the next HDMI spec comes out?
I dunno, at least 15-20 minutes...

What I find extremely funny is that HDMI no longer allows manufacturers to use the release numbers... 1.4, 1.4a, etc... but finds that the most convenient way for themselves to alert others to a new release with unique features. In my opinion, they shouldn't be able to use numbers either if they think that's such a great idea.

Steve Venuti is a smart guy and I think he's doing a great job with what he has, but HDMI - as a format - is simply a complete and utter mess in my opinion.

<rant>Audio return channel and Ethernet are great ideas, however if HDMI had been a more open platform to begin with, you wouldn't need a cable change - Ethernet could simply have been dealt with from a bandwidth standpoint - similar to how I can send audio, video, data, etc over a single Ethernet cable. I don't need a new cable to send data+video. When people started streaming media I didn't suddenly have to update my cable to Cat5Q.

HDMI is like a condensed bundle of shielded coax cables, each carrying complex, proprietary information. It's ridiculous and the entire industry embraced it like puppets.</rant>

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Not that I care about the 1.4 capabilities at the moment but I would like to drop $2500 on a pre pro without having to worry about desiring 1.4 in a year or so. The computer cycle isn't quite the same, if I want usb 3.0 it's a matter of a PCI card.

Hdmi 1.4 snow leopard - what a joke!
Most computers sold now days are laptops & netbooks - for both upgrade options are quite limited. yes, you can get usb 3 express card - but it'll require additional external power supply - so while yes, doable - convenient? hardly.
But How to you upgrade video card or processor of laptop?? and trust me they change much quicker than usb or hdmi versions. Also desktops - newer processor will guarantee to require newer motherboard and memory - basically a whole new computer.

I'd also like to have my electronic gadgets to last and be current, but our realities just disagree. We can embrace it or go back to caves :rolleyes:

What I find extremely funny is that HDMI no longer allows manufacturers to use the release numbers...
:eek: What ?? :confused::confused::eek:
I'm shocked !!

B1-66ER

B1-66ER

Audioholic Intern
<rant>Audio return channel and Ethernet are great ideas, however if HDMI had been a more open platform to begin with, you wouldn't need a cable change - Ethernet could simply have been dealt with from a bandwidth standpoint - similar to how I can send audio, video, data, etc over a single Ethernet cable. I don't need a new cable to send data+video. When people started streaming media I didn't suddenly have to update my cable to Cat5Q.</rant>
Ethernet addition is a great idea, it goes far for those with new profile BR and a true multimedia receiver, I'd hate to have TWO Ethernet cables running from my wall. Of course I expect, like everything in our money see money get economy, HDMI 1.4 Ethernet wont work as desired, but every receiver manuf will be making TONS of receivers that support it, rather than just waiting for 1.4 which will ultimately iron all the bugs out. And your point, Clint, about Ethernet working just fine to do what it took HDMI 1.4 spec to do (and more!). If only I could pass protected signals to my receiver!, of course I don't have a dedicated BR player, I have a nice HTPC and a receiver, so I just rip my BR discs.

<rant>HDMI is like a condensed bundle of shielded coax cables, each carrying complex, proprietary information. It's ridiculous and the entire industry embraced it like puppets.</rant>
A-friggin-men!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis