After Only 2 Years, Sony Drops OLED in Japan

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Once trumpeted as Sony’s return to high technology leadership, the company has stopped production of OLED TV in Japan. A Sony spokesman says the company intends to continue sales overseas, but what happens in Japan is often a foreshadowing of what will follow in the rest of the world. With worldwide shipments of just 2000 units it's not entirely an unexpected move.

Discuss "After Only 2 Years, Sony Drops OLED in Japan" here. Read the article.

Patrick_Wolf

Patrick_Wolf

Audioholic
Sony needs to stop jumping the gun. This TV shouldn't have been released. The PS3 did not need a fancy Cell processor that's a pain to develop for.

T

Techlord

Audioholic
Sony's loss will become someone else's gain! OLED was supposed to improve viewing angles, but with LED displays suffering from bad viewing angles where will one go for good viewing angles? I can only think of one technology that offers excellent viewing angles for a flat panel display other than front projection!

Regards,
Techlord.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Sony needs to stop jumping the gun. This TV shouldn't have been released. The PS3 did not need a fancy Cell processor that's a pain to develop for.
They should have just focused more on the PS3 like they did with the PS2 which was an enormous success and a significant provision of their profit.

C

clouso

Banned
Sony's loss will become someone else's gain! OLED was supposed to improve viewing angles, but with LED displays suffering from bad viewing angles where will one go for good viewing angles? I can only think of one technology that offers excellent viewing angles for a flat panel display other than front projection!

Regards,
Techlord.
yep and we all know what technology you mean..and i will stick with it for my next purchase...im not giving up about panny...all companys have issues at some point but that doesnt mean its a bad company...plasma will and is still the best..

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
yep and we all know what technology you mean..and i will stick with it for my next purchase...im not giving up about panny...all companys have issues at some point but that doesnt mean its a bad company...plasma will and is still the best..
Yeah, Sony has been struggling to find a direction and their place in the market this decade. OLED sounds promising if they could have delivered it in the sizes and the prices that would have allowed people to purchase it. Until then, it's another gimic that eats money in a market with continuously shrinking margins.

Whoa...I'm like in a funk of a mood tonight, geez...

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
Rumor has it that Sony is inventing a new display technology since they pulled out of their investment with FED. Dumping OLED makes sense, too, since most manufacturers cannot get large displays as quickly and cheaply as they hoped.

C

clouso

Banned
Rumor has it that Sony is inventing a new display technology since they pulled out of their investment with FED. Dumping OLED makes sense, too, since most manufacturers cannot get large displays as quickly and cheaply as they hoped.
curious to know what other technologie?...i really tought oled would be the next best thing!...with plasma!.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
OLED was supposed to improve viewing angles, but with LED displays suffering from bad viewing angles where will one go for good viewing angles? I can only think of one technology that offers excellent viewing angles for a flat panel display other than front projection!
OLED is a type of LED based display; and true LED displays have great viewing angles. What manufacturers now sell as "LED displays" are simply LCD displays with LED backlights instead of FL backlights, they both suffer the same viewing angle issues because the screen itself is the same display technology.

There will be actual LED-based displays released by somebody (OLED is just one form of LED); it's the natural progression of display technology. The viewing angle advantages of "anything except LCD" will still exist.

Sony is losing money on most of it's divisions; it needs to think about staying in business long enough to be around when the next display technology arrives in profitable numbers. This is not an issue with the technology itself; it won't go away. If not Sony, someone else.

This is really just the accountants putting their foot down and spelling out the future in plain language to the board ... "smarten up and make a dollar somewhere, or there won't be a Sony in a while" might be a good guess as to what they say behind closed doors.

C

clouso

Banned
OLED is a type of LED based display; and true LED displays have great viewing angles. What manufacturers now sell as "LED displays" are simply LCD displays with LED backlights instead of FL backlights, they both suffer the same viewing angle issues because the screen itself is the same display technology.

There will be actual LED-based displays released by somebody (OLED is just one form of LED); it's the natural progression of display technology. The viewing angle advantages of "anything except LCD" will still exist.

Sony is losing money on most of it's divisions; it needs to think about staying in business long enough to be around when the next display technology arrives in profitable numbers. This is not an issue with the technology itself; it won't go away. If not Sony, someone else.

This is really just the accountants putting their foot down and spelling out the future in plain language to the board ... "smarten up and make a dollar somewhere, or there won't be a Sony in a while" might be a good guess as to what they say behind closed doors.
Sorry but oled is completly different then base ''led'' displays...led are lights beeing placed around or in the display..oled is...''organic light emmiting''...the best comparison with it is plasma and thats why oled was to be offering such a great viewing angle cause it will emit its own light...no more led lights in the back or around the edges...as you know plasma creates its own lights so was promising oled...if im wrong please someone tell me!..

C

clouso

Banned
i forgot ''diods'' in my sentence...oled...organic light emmiting diods..:mad:..i hate when i forget somehting like this..:p

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The real problem with OLED is the cost to produce and the yeilds. It is VERY expensive to manufacture large size screens, which is why they are probably dropping it. Plus it still suffers from one key issue - they dim over time. So as bright as they may be at first, they won't stay that way.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Sorry but oled is completly different then base ''led'' displays...led are lights beeing placed around or in the display..oled is...''organic light emmiting''...the best comparison with it is plasma and thats why oled was to be offering such a great viewing angle cause it will emit its own light...no more led lights in the back or around the edges...as you know plasma creates its own lights so was promising oled...if im wrong please someone tell me!..
That's what I said. A so-called modern, for sale, "LED TV" is a Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) with a strip of LED's for a backlight, instead of a fluorescent tube for a backlight; aside from a different lamp it's the same as the LCDs we've been buying for the last seven or eight years.

OLED is a form of Light Emitting Diode. There are probably a dozen different kinds of OLED; but the kinds you can, if you look hard enough, buy today from Sony or Samsung (Samsung = 50% of current world production) are Low Temperature Poly-Silicon (LTPS) Amorphous Organic Light Emitting Diode (AMOLED) displays. OLED displays are also manufactured by Philips, GE, DuPont (generally, along with Kodak, those three own most of the patents) as well as LG and a few OEM firms you've never heard of.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis