Sony PS3 Upgradable to 3D Blu-ray and Gaming

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Sony PlayStation 3 is being set up for another huge transformation, one that will further its reputation as the "buy it once, use it forever" Blu-ray player. As the first product to offer HDMI 1.3, Sony is now pouring it on to bethe only existing Blu-ray console that will be able to be upgraded to 3D. We're hoping that "compatible" TVs aren't the limiting factor here and that the PS3 is fully upgradable with all TVs designated as 3D. To limit this technology to their Bravia line would be a shame, and lower the "amazement" factor of the firmware update. It would, however, explain all other manufacturers' claims that 3D functionality requires HDMI 1.4.

Discuss "Sony PS3 Upgradable to 3D Blu-ray and Gaming" here. Read the article.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
As long as goggles are required 3d isn't for me :/

A

AVTguy

Audioholic Intern
3D is for WE (and the PS3 too!)

At CES this year I got a chance to play the new version of ASTEROIDS in 3D. I think I remember the SONY rep. at that demo booth telling me that this game was going to be available as a download and you didn't even have to worry about going out to of the house to buy it. Now that's fantastic and all, but the game was ADDICTING!!!!

I was a big Asteroids fan back in the day of my Atari 7600, and this new version of the old favorite was absolutely amazing. What was really amazing about it was that in such a basic game, the 3D aspect completely changes the experience. In another booth I dropped some lead in the Jungle's of Pandora in the new AVATAR video game. While I thought the game kind of hard to control and the gaming dynamics definitely could have been better, the 3D was REALLY cool. Texturing needs to be improved upon a bit, but the extra depth of field was AWESOME.

And here's some other thoughts of mine about 3D that popped up in my head during the opening ceremonies of the Winter Olympics last night.

As Posted on my FACEBOOK page (modified slightly for this thread)...

"So I have decided that after having watched last nights Winter Olympic Opening Ceremonies, 3D television is definitely going to be a cool thing. The hi-def broadcast was amazing, and the sound was excellent. One could tell that the Olympians in the procession were absolutely captivated by their achievement of even just making it to the Games.

However, imagine it in 3D!?!?! With all of the advanced imaging technology that was used for the actual ceremony itself, a 3D broadcast would have been absolutely incredible. A couple weeks ago I watched the 3D representation of the Michael Jackson tribute during the Grammys over a friends place. Even on a standard-def. tube with RED BLUE basic glasses the experience was clearly more immersive and complete. Putting the glasses on and then "being in the picture" separates the experience from the standard experience, and that really is cool. I mean hey why do we even watch blu-ray when we can get the DVD anyways? ITS THE EXPERIENCE.

Over the last ten years or so the home theater concept has really come into full effect. Surround sound enabled us to "feel" like we were in the action, but with HD display technology, and ESPECIALLY the upcoming 3D Televisions, we're now experiencing the broadcast in a different way.

What kind of Television do you own? Will you be upgrading to a 3D set this year or next? Do you think 3D events will be a good home experience, or should it be left to the silver screeen? What kind of events would you want to watch if 3D was available?"

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Personally they can keep it, It's cool and all just not in my living room. It's great at the movie theater and that is where it should stay I don't feel like using glasses to watch TV. I'm married and have a kid so you know those glasses are going to get lost or broken and I don't feel like paying for a new pair glasses every time this happens just so I can watch TV or play a game.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Just saw this little blurb that 3D would be added in 3.2 firmware, which means pretty soon:

According to video games site VG247, the upcoming new firmware for the PS3, version 3.20, will enable 3-D video output, presumably for games only. Support for 3-D movies will be added in another upgrade later in the year. Note that you also need a 3-D TV and the required glasses to get the full experience.
There is only one game out that supports this capability AND you have to have the TV and glasses as noted, and that is Avatar. Presumably others will be released around or soon after this update comes out though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis