Oppo BDP-80 Universal Blu-ray Player First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The BDP-80 is the new universal player from Oppo. That means that not only does it play Blu-rays and DVDs but also SACDs and DVD-As. With just a few corners cut, the BDP-80 comes in at only $289. That's right, while others are trying to charge multiple of thousands for universal Blu-ray playback, Oppo keeps dropping their prices.

Discuss "Oppo BDP-80 Universal Blu-ray Player First Look" here. Read the article.

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
Kewl. Love my Oppo 980 (I can't remember the rest of its silly name), but this is a much more affordable (hey, for those of us who live in the Detroit area, every penny counts these days) machine.

My question is, when you look at the comparison chart, what does Oppo mean by, "For home theaters with large screens:"?

How big is a large screen?

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Make it stream netflix and pandora and I'm in. Otherwise my Samsung BD2550 does just fine, and if I 'm dying to listen to some hi rez music I can plug in my Pioneer Uni player in a couple of minutes.

Matt34

Matt34

Make it stream netflix and pandora and I'm in. Otherwise my Samsung BD2550 does just fine, and if I 'm dying to listen to some hi rez music I can plug in my Pioneer Uni player in a couple of minutes.
I currently have a bottom of the barrel Panasonic which is SO SLOW, I have to upgrade....just don't know if I'm going with this or another PS3.

Last edited:
B

BBF

Enthusiast
I was fearing that the article would say:
"Oppo BDP-80, just a BDP-83 with a cheaper case!" :eek: That would have caused another firestorm.

But if the proprietary SOC video processing turns out to be half decent, it would be a complete Budget Videophile's best-choice... it already looks like it's a Budget Audiophile's best-choice.

Unfortunately, since most of the general public doesn't give a rat's bottom about SACD, nor DVD-Audio, the $300 player will probably be more of a niche product than the BDP-83, since anybody who cared about budget high-def audio has already purchased a BDP-83... as for the elite "money is no object" high-enders... well, they've already got their BD-30's (which fortunately is just as good, unlike other high-end audiophile snake-oil.) ;)

I'm looking forward to the complete review of the BDP-80 with BDP-83 comparison measurements and video processing analysis.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
If the audio is up to snuff, and one has a good display(wouldnt need the best video processing), the unit is well priced for what it is.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
My question is, when you look at the comparison chart, what does Oppo mean by, "For home theaters with large screens:"?

How big is a large screen?
My take on it is that they mean projection screens (so probably 100" or larger) because they mention that in the text describing the features.

The larger you blow something up the more susceptible it is to showing jaggies and other artifacts so perhaps the Anchor Bay chip would do a better job in that case, considering it is more of a 'high end' scaler. I think the on chip solution of the bdp-80 will do just fine for more normal size plasma or lcd screens.

Now if they dump the multi-channel analog outs and get rid of sacd and dvd-a decoding, they could get the price around $200 and it would fly off the shelves. Sacd and DVD-A were dead on arrival and anybody considering a Blu-ray player likely already has a receiver that supports HDMI.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
The larger you blow something up the more susceptible it is to showing jaggies and other artifacts so perhaps the Anchor Bay chip would do a better job in that case, considering it is more of a 'high end' scaler. I think the on chip solution of the bdp-80 will do just fine for more normal size plasma or lcd screens.
That's my take as well. The video processing, I'm guessing, is fairly basic but it won't matter too much if you are viewing mostly Blu-rays or have a small screen or are sitting far away. If you have a nice display with good processing (or one of the other devices I mentioned in the first look), it won't matter as long as the BDP-80 sends out a clean interlaced signal (it most likely will in our experience with Oppo).

T

thegreatartiste

Audiophyte
I wonder if the audio DAC(s) and analog output circuitry is identical to the BD83 or a different implementation?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Since it wasn't mentioned, I would guess the DACs are the same, since it still does SACD/DVD-A. It does not have a separate 2ch output, which means no separate 2ch DACs. That would be one place where they shaved some cost.

The remote also says glow in the dark vs backlit.

**Edit - On the DACs, I took a look at the site and I did notice that each of the players have different specs:
83SE
Frequency: Stereo 20Hz - 44kHz (±0.2dB), 20kHz - 96kHz (±1.1dB)
7.1CH 20Hz - 44kHz (±0.4dB)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >117dB (A-weighted, auto-mute off)
THD+N: < 0.002% (1kHz at 0dBFS, 20kHz LPF)
Dynamic Range: >104dB (24-bit unweighted)
Channel Separation: >106dB (24-bit unweighted)

Frequency: 20Hz - 20kHz (±0.4dB)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >110dB (A-weighted)

Frequency: 20Hz - 20kHz (±0.3dB)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >115dB (A-weighted)
THD+N: < 0.008% (1kHz at 0dBFS, 20kHz LPF)

I presume that means they are different in each model. We already know there are different audio sections in the SE vs base 83.

Last edited:
S

sheepsimulator

Audiophyte
83SE
Frequency: Stereo 20Hz - 44kHz (±0.2dB), 20kHz - 96kHz (±1.1dB)
7.1CH 20Hz - 44kHz (±0.4dB)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >117dB (A-weighted, auto-mute off)
Dynamic Range: >104dB (24-bit unweighted)
Channel Separation: >106dB (24-bit unweighted)

Frequency: 20Hz - 20kHz (±0.4dB)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >110dB (A-weighted)

Frequency: 20Hz - 20kHz (±0.3dB)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >115dB (A-weighted)
THD+N: < 0.008% (1kHz at 0dBFS, 20kHz LPF)

I presume that means they are different in each model. We already know there are different audio sections in the SE vs base 83.
I believe, the way this is written, the S/N ratio of the BDP-80 is better than that of the BDP-83, yet the THD+N is worse? That seems surprising to me; you'd think both stats would be better on the BDP-83.

Last edited:
gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
The BDP-80 uses an analog section based on the DV-983H (lower tier Cirrus DAC than the chips used in the BDP-83) while the BDP-83SE upgrades to the ESS DAC's.

A

autoboy

Audioholic
I would have preferred the better video processing and a complete lack of analog audio outputs. But, it's probably the video processor that costs the big $ in this player so it makes sense that they would take that out and focus on the audio features of the player. Especially since there isn't a lot of point to this OPPO over a LG 390 if you don't care about the universal player aspect of it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I would have preferred the better video processing and a complete lack of analog audio outputs. But, it's probably the video processor that costs the big $ in this player so it makes sense that they would take that out and focus on the audio features of the player. Especially since there isn't a lot of point to this OPPO over a LG 390 if you don't care about the universal player aspect of it.
It wouldn't surprise me if we see one more model come out that is like that. There are so many that are HDMI only on the market already maybe Oppo thinks it isn't necessary? It is already a crowded market at the $200 and under range.

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
I want the SACD / DVD-A capability as I'd rather just swap it out for my DV-980H (yeah, I know, I'm soooo behind the times). It's just that, well, even now, Blu Ray hasn't really presented a compelling reason for me to upgrade. Living here in Detroit with my wife laid off, we're focusing our free cash on fun stuff like groceries.

It's good to see them dropping the price. I'd rather just see them drop the analog outputs rather than the audio formats.

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
I currently have a bottom of the barrel Panasonic which is SO SLOW, I have to upgrade....just don't know if I'm going with this or another PS3.
You do realize the length of the movie far outweighs how long it takes to load the movie.

You kids are so impatient these days! :D

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
At $280 I just may be in the market for a universal Blue-Ray much sooner than previously anticipated.

Matt34

Matt34

Are you on a time card when you use one at home? ;):D Paying by the minute?:)
You do realize the length of the movie far outweighs how long it takes to load the movie.

You kids are so impatient these days! :D
When you can go out to the kitchen and pop some popcorn, get a drink, adjust the lights, sit down and get comfortable and still be waiting for it to turn on and load.....yes I'm impatient.:p

H

hedberg

Audiophyte
The BDP-83SE use a ESS Sabre32 Ultra DAC.

The BDP-83 uses Cirrus Logic Crystal CS4398 & CS4382A DACs

The BDP-80 use a Cirrus Logic Crystal CS4361.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis