Bheestie Bag Personal Electronic Water Removal System Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
We've all had that sinking feeling when we hear the plop of an electrical device hitting the water. The Bheestie company decided to do something about this problem by inventing a bag with little pellets in it. This bag is compact enough to be taken nearly anywhere. The directions are simple - place waterlogged device in bag, seal tightly, wait. While they didn't add "pray" onto the end of that, you probably won't need to be reminded to do so (especially if it is your brand new iPhone).

Discuss "Bheestie Bag Personal Electronic Water Removal System Review" here. Read the article.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Tom,

It is an interesting idea. I would like to see you do a second test with a wrung out sponge (to provide a more realistic amount of water, to go along with what the MFG commented on) but also with the amount of rice = to the "beads". I also wonder if you could use the boil in a bag rice to absorb the moisture, then you don't have to worry about rice getting everywhere.

birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
Dina dropped her iPhone in the toilet. (Thankfully, BEFORE any business had taken place). After staring at it in disbelief, sitting at the bottom of the bowl, she grabbed it and took it to the kitchen, put it in a ziplock full of rice. We left it in there for 48 hours. Took it out, and it has worked fine for over a month now.

Hard to beat that solution, and it's cheap!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Dina dropped her iPhone in the toilet.
I would have loved to see the look on her face. :D I'm like Seinfeld when it comes to toilet bowls - if something touches one, it's dead to me. I suppose I might try to sanitize an iPhone, though...

(I'm waiting for the Apple haters to chime in. "Yeah, that's where that piece of s**t belongs." :p)

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Nothing that drops in a toilet is being pressed against my face.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Nothing that drops in a toilet is being pressed against my face.
The local news did a special on germs on cell phones (or maybe it was a national story that got reported...I can't remember). Anyway, there were more germs on cell phones than in toilets.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
The local news did a special on germs on cell phones (or maybe it was a national story that got reported...I can't remember). Anyway, there were more germs on cell phones than in toilets.
LA-LA-LA-LA-LA...I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!:p

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
innuendo.
I don't get it.:confused::)

Back to the OP, if you save all the dessicant packs that come with all your electronics and put them in a plastic bag, would you not have a product the same as this product?

I'm going to have to read the whole article now to see if this has been addressed.:D

Edit...I guess the teaser is the whole article.

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
I would say that the manufacturer has a point about the actual application for which the product was made: a piece of electronics will retain much less water than a sponge, so providing a package that will absorb a ton of moisture is overkill. You had 16 times as much rice as you had of the desiccant pellets, and that extra mass provided at least 3.5 times as much absorption after three days (and three times as much after two days). The pellets would seem to be more efficient. A few other tests might be of value.

The first is to adjust the quantity of water involved. Find a broken (or breakable) device, weigh it, drop it in a bowl of water for a few minutes, shake it to get rid of the collected puddles, and then weight it again. How much water will tag along will depend on the device, but a test or two like this would give a good measure of how much water might be left to remove. Then you could re-run your sponge test to see how the two stack up and if the Bheestie Bag can eliminate the critical moisture in a timely fashion. The one possible wrinkle here is that the way the sponge is trapping moisture may not be the best parallel for how a device like a cell phone holds water.

Another test would be to try to create a rice-based equivalent to the Bheestie Bag: put around four to eight ounces of rice in a porous bag (maybe thin cloth or even the foot from some panty hose) and toss that into a zip-lock bag. If the rice can still absorb a useful amount of moisture while in the porous bag, then you avoid the one big pitfall of rice: getting it stuck in the device. It may be that a DIY package like that (with rice as the desiccant) could do a satisfactory job. It may also be, however, that rice isn't efficient enough a desiccant and doesn't get the moisture out as effectively when deprived of that "stuck in all the inner workings" contact or reduced to such a small quantity.

Of course, the best test would be to do all of the above and determine the optimal DIY solution, then take two actual devices and throw them in the drink.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
...Anyway, there were more germs on cell phones than in toilets.
Oh, that is so wonderful to read after some posts saying it would be dead to them. ;):D
I wonder after this if they will ever use a cellphone again.:eek:;):D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Since this test was somewhat easy to do, I wonder what the cost of desiccant is and how that would compare? :D

Also, how would an oven at about 100F do? or perhaps 150F.

One could also test an old broken cellphone, how much water would it really pick up after a dunk, then test again.

B

bheestie

Audiophyte
Bheestie

Hi Tom and all,

We appreciate your reviewing the BHEESTIE Bag and also posting our response to your testing methods. BHEESTIE's value comes in its size and power of adsorption. When tested with an amount of water that is within its adsorption capacity BHEESTIE outperforms rice, kitty litter, and air. Now I will admit we haven't gone head to head with a pound of rice - because that doesn't fit the intent of our product, which is to be portable, convenient and effective. It does work very well, and has saved many of our own cameras, iPods and cellphones (more than once I sheepishly add :) ), not to mention our customers. Again, we appreciate you reviewing it and letting us explain our position on your testing methods. Cheers, the BHEESTIE bosses

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis