Wireless Power and Electricity Coming Soon!

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Chinese manufacturer Haier decided to steal the show at CES this week by showing off a 32-inch TV set at CES that is running completely wirelessly. And when we say completely... we mean COMPLETELY. In addition to wireless HDMI transmission the 32-inch TV is also receiving wireless POWER. Look, Ma, no wires. No, seriously.

Discuss "Wireless Power and Electricity Coming Soon!" here. Read the article.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Good read,Just one thing most companies can't get wireless internet to work properly and these guys are talking wireless power. Somethings should be left alone.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Good read,Just one thing most companies can't get wireless internet to work properly and these guys are talking wireless power. Somethings should be left alone.
Why can you imagine your car being an electric motor that runs on wireless power. Imagine getting rid of power lines. I know the argument was lost, but it would be funny if we ended up doing that anyway.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Why can you imagine your car being an electric motor that runs on wireless power. Imagine getting rid of power lines. I know the argument was lost, but it would be funny if we ended up doing that anyway.
It would certainly be cool for all your home appliances, lamps etc. That would be awesome.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
That would be great if and when they are able to do it right, My only gripe is that companies push things into production before they are ready. Now let's say you buy one of these TVs now you have it setup your sitting on the couch drinking a beer watching the game it's the 4thQ 0:30 left on the clock your team is driving to the end zone and the TV blacks out,so you run to the other TV in the house but you missed the game wining touchdown because a company pushed a new technology on to the market before it was ready. Will it be like wireless internet which lags and takes forever sometimes to load up page that's all I asking for make sure that it's ready for prime time. Sorry for the long response.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
That would be great if and when they are able to do it right, My only gripe is that companies push things into production before they are ready. Now let's say you buy one of these TVs now you have it setup your sitting on the couch drinking a beer watching the game it's the 4thQ 0:30 left on the clock your team is driving to the end zone and the TV blacks out,so you run to the other TV in the house but you missed the game wining touchdown because a company pushed a new technology on to the market before it was ready. Will it be like wireless internet which lags and takes forever sometimes to load up page that's all I asking for make sure that it's ready for prime time. Sorry for the long response.
Some companies do that, but not all. Software companies are the worst for it though.

A

Alittlemonster

Nothing new

This really isn't all that new...I demonstrated this very concept in a science project in the early sixties and it can be duplicated. It's really simple...electrical current simply follows magnetic lines of flux to a contact. As long as the flux lines (not to be confused with the Flux Capacitor) can bend around an interference, they can conduct current.

This little tidbit was discovered when an electrical wire going from a 1.5V D Cell battery to a motor using a strong horseshoe magnet in a toy boat broke off and the motor was still running. Found that current was transferred up to about 6 inches away. It stands to reason...more available current with stronger, more focused magnetic lines of flux means farther transfer distances. Anyone can repeat the experiment--I'd use a horseshoe magnet motor.

Can imagine that they are focusing the magnetic field to induce a better transfer of current, but there is still that magnetic field that can raise havoc with everything else. It's not such a good idea--in fact, the class instructor, a stereo buff at the time, did a check of some sort and found all kinds of noise was generated from the transfer (have no idea what the noise was). Maybe they have figured out a way around that problem, and maybe not. But, before passing judgment, there is a need for more info, such as: potential for noise generation in audio/video equipment, interference caused by the magnetic fields, are they using two way DC power transmission or single way AC transmission, etc.

dougg

dougg

Junior Audioholic
Cancer risk,LOL

Some Scientest will Bombard Lab Rats with 1000 times the realworld field strength for a Year, and say it causes Cancer.

I do like the Idea, hope it works out.
Doug S.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I remember going to a seminar a few years ago, showing an Inductive house.
The walls were inductive panels and you could put a light or outlet anywhere you wanted on those panels.
The efficiency wasn't 100%. Pretty cool concept though.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
This really isn't all that new...I demonstrated this very concept in a science project in the early sixties and it can be duplicated. It's really simple...electrical current simply follows magnetic lines of flux to a contact. As long as the flux lines (not to be confused with the Flux Capacitor) can bend around an interference, they can conduct current.

This little tidbit was discovered when an electrical wire going from a 1.5V D Cell battery to a motor using a strong horseshoe magnet in a toy boat broke off and the motor was still running. Found that current was transferred up to about 6 inches away. It stands to reason...more available current with stronger, more focused magnetic lines of flux means farther transfer distances. Anyone can repeat the experiment--I'd use a horseshoe magnet motor.

Can imagine that they are focusing the magnetic field to induce a better transfer of current, but there is still that magnetic field that can raise havoc with everything else. It's not such a good idea--in fact, the class instructor, a stereo buff at the time, did a check of some sort and found all kinds of noise was generated from the transfer (have no idea what the noise was). Maybe they have figured out a way around that problem, and maybe not. But, before passing judgment, there is a need for more info, such as: potential for noise generation in audio/video equipment, interference caused by the magnetic fields, are they using two way DC power transmission or single way AC transmission, etc.
Actually, flux lines don't conduct the current, they induce it in the device that is affected by them. For this reason, I want to see data about how strong the magnetic fields in that area are and what affect they'll have on other things/people. The field diminishes via the inverse square rule and if any appreciable distance is between the pieces, anything between them will be affected.

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
Actually, flux lines don't conduct the current, they induce it in the device that is affected by them. For this reason, I want to see data about how strong the magnetic fields in that area are and what affect they'll have on other things/people. The field diminishes via the inverse square rule and if any appreciable distance is between the pieces, anything between them will be affected.
There's going to be a much bigger effect on nearby electronics than people. MRI uses fields on the order of Teslas and is completely harmless (unless you have a pacemaker). If they have a way to focus the field, then you may be able to mitigate some of the interference with careful planning. If not, then you could always make foil hats for your favorite gear :). Very interesting tech either way.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
It only took almost a century for everyone to catch up with Tesla :p

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
There's going to be a much bigger effect on nearby electronics than people. MRI uses fields on the order of Teslas and is completely harmless (unless you have a pacemaker). If they have a way to focus the field, then you may be able to mitigate some of the interference with careful planning. If not, then you could always make foil hats for your favorite gear :). Very interesting tech either way.
Yeah, well, the plate in my head gets pretty warm sometimes and it's not very comfortable. I really hate when paperclips fly across the room and stick to my forehead, too.:eek:

A

Alittlemonster

Not entirely true. Flux lines can only induce current in a collapsing field. In this case, the field was not collapsing, it was generated by a magnet. Part of the experiment involved finding what part of the magnetic field actually carried the current, and, as you would think, the strongest part or lobe of the flux field carried it. If the field was diminished in any way, the ability to carry the current ceased. You are correct in that a flux field lessens with the square of the distance.

I'm not di

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
It's been consistently shown that there is a higher concentration of brain tumors (cancer) around high power electrical lines, say with 420KV, authorities have never accepted this fact but it seem to be too much of a coincidence that cancer should be much more common around strong magnertic fields, and the must be a reason for this :confused:

now the emagnetic fields around these installations would be much less than around a 420KV power line, but they will still be of significant nature.... and sitting so close to these magnetic fields....

Not sure this is good... or healthy for that sake :p

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall

Indeed Nikola would be proud, but there's a problem. Broadcasting electricity works, but electronic waves don't know what they are supposed to electrify. Any conductor within range will pick up a charge so not only the TV, but also nearby wires, the kid's braces, the dog's collar chain, the metal cabinet that the TV sits on will also be charged up with electricity. You will need to remove your metal belt buckle and sit there in rubber boots, but, you won't need to plug in the TV.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Well....two thoughts.

First, did ya look inside the tv for batteries? ;) Joking aside, isn't the development of smaller, faster, stronger, cooler batteries and lighter, more efficient electronics a more likely implimentation?

Second, if this program gets off the ground, we're gonna have billions of migratory birds flying in little, lost circles over your house, looking for a place to, uh, reproduce and feed. They use magnetic lines of flux to navigate on their migrations. "OH NO! Duck! Honey, here comes that goose again...the one that keeps crapping on the Chrysler." :D

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
It's been consistently shown that there is a higher concentration of brain tumors (cancer) around high power electrical lines, say with 420KV, authorities have never accepted this fact but it seem to be too much of a coincidence that cancer should be much more common around strong magnertic fields, and the must be a reason for this :confused:

now the emagnetic fields around these installations would be much less than around a 420KV power line, but they will still be of significant nature.... and sitting so close to these magnetic fields....

Not sure this is good... or healthy for that sake :p
Field strenght decreases with the square of the distance. You most likely experience a greater magnetic field standing next to your speakers or using a cell phone than standing under power lines. Time to get rid of the HT and phone :rolleyes:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis