Denon S-5BD BD/Receiver Integrated First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Don't be confused by Denon's new receiver/blu-ray integrated, this is no Home Theater in a Box. The Denon S-5BD is an audiophile grade 5.1 channel surround sound receiver with advanced Profile 2.0 Blu-ray player sporting HDMI 1.4 ports, small form factor, and extreme flexibility. As you'd expect from Denon, the S-5BD is packed with all the latest technology. Aside from the HDMI 1.4 ports already mentioned the S-5BD includes support of Dolby Pro Logic IIz front height effects channels (you'll need to use the pre-outs for the surround back speakers for this feature). Onboard decoding of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio is practically a given these days and it would make no sense for an integrated unit like the S-5BD not to have it. The Denon S-5BD BD/Receiver is scheduled for availability in March 2010 with a suggested retail price of $1,799.

Discuss "Denon S-5BD BD/Receiver Integrated First Look" here. Read the article.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
At first glance I was ready to dismiss this as another overpriced, overcomplicated modern day gizmo. But then I read the article and saw how simple the back of the unit was and I said, "aaaahaaa". Denon almost has it right........I still think the unit is (typically) loaded with way too many bells and whistles, but nonetheless, it is simple by today's receiver standards. A 5.1 unit is more than enough. And the suggestion that it could be 3.1 with a stereo zone two is not anathema to me. I want simple. I crave simple. I'm tired of the gadgetry and endless menus. Form follows function and modern gear to me represents the asian fascination with complicated gadgetry.
Even though I am heading towards active, I like this unit. I say simplify further, but this is a good start. I would like to see streaming of netflix and pandora, which might be more complicated but I would trade all the codecs and tweaks for these features.
So, I am giving this TwoTrees up..........

RyanNL

RyanNL

Audiophyte
Experiences/Network?

anyone some hands-on epxerience with this model on netwroking or anything lese matter of fact?

I am seriously considdeing buying this beauty but when i did some more research the Denon website stated it needed the add-on Ipod dock for network radio and other connectivity.

Tis can't be right, why put a ethernet port on a unit if you still need anoteher network compnent to connect to the network.

RyanNL

RyanNL

Audiophyte
just bought it

the network stuff seems to require the ipod docking station judiging by the manuals.

something else: the system takes 4ever to play a audio cd.
also it doesn't recognise avi fles on the usb stick.
no folder structure on the front dispaly (since i've got it connected to my beamer i dislike the idea of having to turn on the projector just to browse a usb stick to get to the correct directory).

on the other hand:id3tags and file info of the track are correctly displayed on the front display

Beautiful system, great image and good sound, just the advanced features are not as advanced as expected

A

abolibibelot

Audiophyte
I'm looking for a simple yet good quality solution to play CD's as well as "dematerialized" music (mostly FLAC), and if the same unit is able to play movies as well it's even better. I have an opportunity to buy this unit used for 600€ : would it be a good choice, considering I currently have a Cambridge 540R v2 6.1 amplifier, a Harman/Kardon HD970 CD player (very good reputation for its price level – and I bought it used for 100€ – but quite picky when it comes to CD quality) and an entry level Marantz DVD player, all connected to a set of 5 JMLab Chorus speakers and a Sidney AR12 subwoofer ? Is it true that it takes a long time before it actually reads an audio CD ? What other similar solutions could you suggest ? Is it on the same league, sound quality wise, as, say, an Arcam Solo at least ? (I read a not so enthusiastic review on TechRadar, saying that for the same price buying separate Denon devices would provide much better quality.) I'm quite open, I could go for an all-in-one or separates, a strictly stereo system to complete my current multichannel setup or a better multichannel one to replace it, I even considered active speakers (like the Dynaudio BM6) directly connected to my computer, or through a DAC. The ability to use two channels in stereo in another room (apparently a rarity) is a great plus for me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis