Pioneer Electronics VSX-23TXH 7.1 Receiver Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
When last we looked into the Pioneer looking glass, we reviewed their top of the line model, the VSX-94TXH. This newest product under review from Pioneer isn't their top of the line, but it does have some significant improvements over even last year's top of the line VSX model. Chiefly of interest are the increased number of HDMI inputs, including a front input suitable for the newest camcorders and digital cameras, and the Anchor Bay VRS video processing. The VSX-23TXH also comes certified as one of the first THX Select2 Plus A/V receivers and supports the newest high resolution audio formats. Don't get us wrong – there's not a whole lot of new innovation in this product, but given the value and the relatively low price-to-performance ratio, this A/V receiver certainly has our rapt attention.

Discuss "Pioneer Electronics VSX-23TXH 7.1 Receiver Review" here. Read the article.

T

Tungsten06GT

Audioholic
Hi,

I have the 21txh, but I know the functionality is basically the same, so I have two questions:

1. Do you recommend using the Auto MCACC and leaving it? I'm sort of a newb, so I'm not 100% if I should make any adjustments after. It sounds pretty good, except my surrounds don't seem to really be kicking out that much; is that just the nature of the surrounds, only to extend the fronts?

2. Everything sounds awesome for HT, but for music the bass is realllyyy lacking. Do I need to adjust the EQ everytime when switching from music to HT?

Thanks (that was kind of 3 questions I guess)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. I own the VSX-23, and I'll give you my thoughts.

1. Do you recommend using the Auto MCACC and leaving it?
The one thing that I always change is that I reset the speakers from "Large" to "Small." I don't have full-range speakers, though, so it will depend on your set-up. The MCACC system tends to set speakers to "Large" even when that isn't the optimum setting. Other than that, I've been very happy with the settings that it does.

2. Everything sounds awesome for HT, but for music the bass is realllyyy lacking. Do I need to adjust the EQ everytime when switching from music to HT?
Try what I suggested above and see if that helps. For HT, you probably are listening to audio tracks with an LFE channel, so the sub will kick in. For music, if you have the speakers set to "Large", then the sub won't kick in. If you don't have full-range speakers, that's certainly a reasonable cause for the lack of bass when listening to music.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Maybe you have the subwoofer out disables for two channel music. There should be a setting in the bass management that allows for sub out even if the main speakers are set large. This is a common problem people face when playing back two channel sources. Also make sure you don't have "pure direct" engaged as many receivers simply won't send signal out to the sub in this mode.

T

Tungsten06GT

Audioholic
Sorry, I should have explained my setup a bit. I've got the EMP Impression 5.0 system, so no sub yet. All speakers are set to large, and for HT, these things slam (I could be mildly content without a sub for HT, but I will be getting one). Pure direct isn't on, just Stereo is what I was using. But for music, midbass is awesome, just not enough lower frequencies like from the movies. Is that just the difference in the audio source maybe? I tried all types of music..

Basically, I can clearly hear 40Hz content in movies as explosions rumble. However, with music it only sounds like maybe 80Hz and up is coming through.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
It could be the music sources you are using. Older CD's are usually very bass anemic. If you have your main speakers set to "large" and sub to "no" you should be ok. Turn off the auto EQ and make sure your tone controls are set to bypass or flat. Also check the polarity of your speakers to make sure they are connected correctly.

G

gtaylor0

Enthusiast
I'm not sure this thing weighs 37.5 pounds. I believe it's more like 29 pounds -- I bought and returned it (liked my old receiver better) and it was definately lighter than my 34 pound Pio 52TX (the cousin of the Pio 1014).

K

Krik

Audiophyte
Excellent and timely review! Considering picking this one up as there seems to be great deals to be had on this. What happened to the lab measurements? I always look forward to seeing how these amp sections do in the real world and not according to a spec sheet.

Any chance of a follow up?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Clint,

Hi, and thanks for the review. I was happy to see a review of something that I own!

I finally got around to reading it this morning. One thing caught my attention right off, and I think that it's a misunderstanding. You state that it has four HDMI inputs, and that the front panel HDMI input disengages one of the inputs on the back panel. The VSX-23 actually has five HDMI inputs, and I don't think that any of them override each other. The back panel has four inputs ("BD", "HDMI 1", "HDMI 2", and "HDMI 3"), while the front panel has one ("HDMI 4"). The "BD" and "HDMI 4" inputs are fixed and are not assignable to any other input.

I have not actually connected an HDMI input to the front panel, so my statements are based upon my understanding from what I've read and the set-up menu on the unit. Did you test it and know for sure that the "HDMI 4" front panel input turns one of the others off? If so, which one?

Thanks.

Adam

E

evhudsons

Audiophyte
keep your old reciever

If you upgrade your reciever, keep the old one to serve as power to just the subwoofer. Set your speaker set up to "small" speakers, use your subwoofer out to the old reciever to fully power the sub. You can even turn down the bass a bit on the new reciever so that you can have your speaker louder and clearer without distortion, and still get clean bass from your subwoofer. I found that the subwoofer out directly to the subwoofer gives minimal results as power is taken away from the new reciever, but with the second reciever you can add that power back in a huge way.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
If you upgrade your reciever, keep the old one to serve as power to just the subwoofer. Set your speaker set up to "small" speakers, use your subwoofer out to the old reciever to fully power the sub. You can even turn down the bass a bit on the new reciever so that you can have your speaker louder and clearer without distortion, and still get clean bass from your subwoofer. I found that the subwoofer out directly to the subwoofer gives minimal results as power is taken away from the new reciever, but with the second reciever you can add that power back in a huge way.

Huh? :confused: Im I missing something?

M

mabuhay55

Audiophyte
Response to bandphan blog

this is the first time i've heard of using separate receiver for the sub. i would like to try, how do you connect your old to the new receiver?

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
this is the first time i've heard of using separate receiver for the sub. i would like to try, how do you connect your old to the new receiver?
I have no clue what the benefit is when using a powered sub, and would see very little benefit even with a passive sub :eek:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Huh? :confused: Im I missing something?
Apparently the best crop of shrums in a decade. :p

I have no clue what the benefit is when using a powered sub, and would see very little benefit even with a passive sub :eek:
Okay, for a powered sub, there would be zero benefit - how could there be? There are a number of possible negatives, though, such as having the second receiver attenuate or change the signal.

For a passive sub, an external amp (which could be an older receiver) would be necessary unless we're talking about someone buying a HTIB receiver that has powered outputs for a sub. So, it would be necessary for the VSX-23. I did that with a receiver and some old speakers for fun a couple of years ago (thread here).

J

JackT

Audioholic
The VSX-23TXH has the ABT1015 processor. The ABT2010 found in the Denons is a higher-end product.

P

Parrot_HD

Enthusiast
Does the VSX-23TXH do any redigitizing of the 2-channel analog signal input?

I'm using an Oppo 83se as my cd player using the 2-channel analog outputs into the receiver and wanted to make sure the analog signal it receives doesn't go through any redigitizing process when set to the analog input signal.

I'm thinking about replacing my Anthem AVM30 with this unit.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis