A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Microsoft has been touting their exclusive relationship with Netflix ever since the partnership was announced at E3 2008. But that's about to change. According to a post on the Playstation blog, the PS3 will get the popular streaming service via a disc. The real question for the PS3 version of Netflix is whether or not HD streaming will be offered and the user-friendliness the interface.

Discuss "PS3 Gets Netflix" here. Read the article.

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
This is great news, how could my wife say no to a netflix account now...

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
In the article it states that an update for the PS3 that incorporates netflix into the main menus of the PS3 is scheduled for release in late 2010, is that a typo? I can't imagine it would take more than a year to get this update.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Another article I read said there would never be an update to allow it to stream directly to the PS3 due to the agreement that Microsoft has with Netflix already on the 360. The disc that Netflix sends you is a java app through witch you stream and this somehow does not violate the agreement that Microsoft has.

Last edited:
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
I'm guessing that any delay in an update to incorporate Netflix into the PS3 is due to the M$ agreement. Anyone that thinks that M$ and Netflix are locked in a permanent contract is kidding themselves. The disc allows Netflix to be accessed through BD-Live which I believe is the workaround on the whole "Xbox exclusive console" thing. It's the Blu-ray in the PS3 that is doing the streaming, not the game console. I'm sure someone over at M$ is talking to a room full of lawyers about this.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
If it streams via BD-Live, I'd definitley pass on it, any BD-Live stuff I've used in the past has taken forever to load, and this is on a PS3 with a turbocharged road runner connection. Then again I'm not a netflix subscriber anyway, but who knows what the future holds.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
One thing I read elsewhere (which I cannot confirm) is that this solution will allow you to access the entire library of Netflix. Currently on my Roku (and I believe also on the Xbox) you can only access movies that you've previously added to your instant queue. It's not a major inconvenience, but it would be nice to be able to access recommendations/suggestions directly from the interface.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You won't be able to access the "entire" library, only those with instant view, but I did read that you would be able to access your queue and add titles via a browser interface. I already put in my request for the disc from Netflix and it says "As soon as it is avalable, the disc will ship to you."

S

Sean_W_Smith

Audiophyte
One thing that will be interesting is that Sony Pictures bans their content from streaming to the Xbox 360 but is allowed to other players. So another benefit will be access to more content. I already own the Roku box but have 6 HDMI devices and only 4 ports on my Onkyo SR-876. So retiring the roku to another TV would be ideal..... Can't wait...

Sean

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
If you need more HDMI ports, you can always get an auto sensing switcher or two.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Got my Netflix disc on Sat. Unfortunately, I still don't have a PS3 so I can't try it out.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
Got my Netflix disc on Sat. Unfortunately, I still don't have a PS3 so I can't try it out.
I got mine on Friday. The menu interface on through the PS3 is slower than the Roku, but I found that the movies/shows loaded much quicker.

The nice thing about using the PS3 disc is that you can browse through the entire instant download collection, not just what's on your queue. This is particularly nice for the recommended movies.

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
I would assume that another benefit to the PS3 Netflix set-up is that there is no Xbox Live Gold fee of $50 a year to pay in order to use Netflix on the PS3.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I would assume that another benefit to the PS3 Netflix set-up is that there is no Xbox Live Gold fee of $50 a year to pay in order to use Netflix on the PS3.
That's what the article said and it is 100% correct.

F

ffk

Audiophyte
Instant Streaming Disc for PS3

Looks like Netflix Streaming to the PS3 is available now.

I just recieved an email yesterday saying my disc for PS3 streaming is to arrive on November 12th. I was expecting it closer to December/January..

I wonder if it'll stream HD.

E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief
Looks like Netflix Streaming to the PS3 is available now.

I just recieved an email yesterday saying my disc for PS3 streaming is to arrive on November 12th. I was expecting it closer to December/January..

I wonder if it'll stream HD.
It does. :D

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
They need to somehow compete with the new Zune marketplace on the 360, wich offers instant on 1080p movies. I am in the beta test for the new update, so I get to try out all the new features, and the last.fm and facebook apps are good, as is the zune marketplace, but I don't think I'll every buy/rent movies that way. At least their HD movies will have 5.1, but I doubt there will be a lossless track available.

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
Has anybody been using PlayOn to stream Netflix, Hulu, etc. to their PS3?

www.themediamall.com/playon/
Yeah, I've been using the trial version to stream from my desktop to my PS3 slim. I'm going to purchase it, mainly for it's hulu abilities. There were a couple days during my trial period where hulu didn't work, but it was because the hulu servers were responding slowly. PlayOn released a patched version that allows a longer server response and now it is 100% functional again.

My desktop has no trouble keeping up with the transcoding, but it is a quad-core with 8gb of RAM so it shouldn't have any problems. If & when they start offering the HD streaming I may have problems since both systems are using 802.11g wireless.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis