Panamax MX5102 UPS Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Panamax MX5102 delivers exactly what it claims - battery backup and voltage monitoring. While there are other choices out there, the Panamax has its own feature set that may make it perfect for your application. On looks alone the Panamax MX5102 is a winner. The black brushed aluminum case just begs to be shown off. The Panamax MX5102 would make a great addition to any home theater.

Discuss "Panamax MX5102 UPS Review" here. Read the article.

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
Maybe you guys can explain this to me, why in the world do you need a UPS for an AV system? I have all my servers at work on them so that there will not be any data loss due to power failure and I can shut them down safely. but if my power goes out and my HT shuts down no big deal. Now I DO understand the surge suppression side of these units (I have one) but the battery backup seems superfluous. Maybe if you have an HTPC?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Maybe you guys can explain this to me, why in the world do you need a UPS for an AV system? I have all my servers at work on them so that there will not be any data loss due to power failure and I can shut them down safely. but if my power goes out and my HT shuts down no big deal. Now I DO understand the surge suppression side of these units (I have one) but the battery backup seems superfluous. Maybe if you have an HTPC?
I have a music server and when I power it down, it takes a fair amount of time, with "Saving settings- DO NOT unplug at this time". It has a network drive in it and I can't imagine it would necessarily be a good thing to just kill the power to this. Receivers, etc don't care but in a storm, having the power flickering on and off probably isn't what they prefer.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Need? I'm not sure that's a fair word.

Though I believe electric motors can be subject to damage from undervoltage: by and large I don't see a need for a UPS, unless you have one of the many systems that have data storage (say writing to HDDs like a HTPC or good TiVO). I also find my UPS means that my cable doesn't go out for 10min every time the electricity flickers.

I've found a great number of ease-of-use advantages, and find my familiarity with the product, and the relatively low price because of the computer market compared to even a decent power-conditioner in the AV world make it worthwhile to me.

But you don't need it. Put in a good surge suppressor and (assuming a properly wired house) I'd think your equipment as safe as it's gonna get.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
You will need one if you have a projector; just to keep the cooling fan going after it's powered down.

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
see, I knew you guys would enlighten me, thanks! I love this place !

J

jkelly3493

Audiophyte
Voltage Regulation?

Not being familiar with the terminology, I'm looking for a unit that will keep the voltage within a certain tolerance for our home theater system. I'm actually more concerned about day-to-day high voltage, but not surges, although I want to protect for surges too. I see the UPS protects for surges, but from what I can tell, voltage regulation is a separate unit or feature? Can you help me? What terminology should I be looking for? Thanks so much!

Z

ZIPPO

Audiophyte
Were there any noise problems with the Panamax MX5102( audible hum or fan noise )?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis