Vizio SV471XVT 47-inch LCD TV Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
I love progress and Vizio seems to be making it in strides as it seeks to bring value-minded products to consumers with ever-increasing features and capabilities that help it stand out amongst a sea of products. Their latest 47-inch LCD, the SV471XVT, is packed with a 240Hz SPS system with Smooth Motion, a revised LCD panel and a power supply that exceeds Energy Star 3.0 guidelines. Priced at only $1499 ($200 less than where the prior model debuted) this is a television force to be reckoned with.

Discuss "Vizio SV471XVT 47-inch LCD TV Review" here. Read the article.

AccessGuy

AccessGuy

Audioholic Intern
Holding out for the web-connected version

Thank you for the informative review. Thanks to the internet (and previews from CES Jan 2009) I am holding out for the XVT "2" series, which implements web-connected TV as well as the QWERTY remote, supposedly for NO price premium over the "1" series. It will also be interesting to see whether Vizio decides to make some improvements in their calibration and 240Hz interpolation methodology to create an even better overall viewing experience from the "1" series. I thought the review was excellent overall, but am puzzled as to why the "Value" section wasn't 5 or at least 4.5, given that they are already the price leaders and dropped their price $200 while improving the features!

I love progress and Vizio seems to be making it in strides as it seeks to bring value-minded products to consumers with ever-increasing features and capabilities that help it stand out amongst a sea of products. Their latest 47-inch LCD, the SV471XVT, is packed with a 240Hz SPS system with Smooth Motion, a revised LCD panel and a power supply that exceeds Energy Star 3.0 guidelines. Priced at only $1499 ($200 less than where the prior model debuted) this is a television force to be reckoned with.

Discuss "Vizio SV471XVT 47-inch LCD TV Review" here. Read the article.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the review. I recently bought a SV470M which includes teh Real Cinema mode but its 120 Hz model, not a 240 Hz model as you tested. I payed $1100 Cdn for it and am quite pleased. For the money, they hard to beat.

S

sheepsimulator

Audiophyte
Torchwood

Props to Clint for mentioning/using Doctor Who and Torchwood in reviews!

I guess I now have another reason for getting a BluRay player...

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
For less money one could buy a 50in plasma that smokes this tv...not to mention their customer service is arse.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
For less money one could buy a 50in plasma that smokes this tv...not to mention their customer service is arse.
This is the 2nd time you slammed Vizio's customer service and without proof. Anty up or be still. My a/v sales guy dropped selling Samsung becuase of their poor customer support. I've read many threads were Vizio's customer support was first rate.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
This is the 2nd time you slammed Vizio's customer service and without proof. Anty up or be still. My a/v sales guy dropped selling Samsung becuase of their poor customer support. I've read many threads were Vizio's customer support was first rate.
This is what some people equate to poor customer service, not saying that the reseller might provide better.. From Vizo

”Service Labor
During the one (1) year warranty period, VIZIO will provide, when needed, service labor to repair a manufacturing defect at its designated service center. To obtain warranty service in the United States, you must first contact VIZIO Technical Support via email at techsupport@VIZIO.com or via phone at (949) 428-2525. The determination of service will be made by VIZIO. PLEASE DO NOT RETURN YOUR UNIT TO VIZIO WITHOUT PRIOR AUTHORIZATION.

Service
During the one (1) year warranty period, VIZIO will, at its option and sole discretion, repair or replace defective parts, which may be new or remanufactured, including replacement of the entire unit. The Customer will be required to ship the product to the service center indicated by VIZIO when the return authorization is provided. The Customer is responsible for all transportation charges to the service center. VIZIO is not responsible for the de-installation or re-installation of the product.

Packaging and Shipping Instruction
When shipping the product to an authorized VIZIO service facility, the original carton box and packing material, or an equivalent as designated by VIZIO, must be utilized.”

According to Vizio, all TVs 37” and larger must go by truck to California. Fed Ex Ground from NY to Vizio in Irvine, CA is $88.95 for its 42” LCD TV and $108.95 for its 50” plasma. You threw out the TVs packing carton? If you are in the warranty period, it’s no problem, Vizio will ship you a new cardboard box at no charge (according to its CS rep).

If the Vizio flat screen breaks after the one-year warranty expires is where it gets expensive. The prices are shocking.

For any Vizio 42” LCD, the carton and packing material with shipping is $300. Its out of warranty service is at a “Flat Rate” of $300 parts + $140 labor. Outbound shipping (FED EX ground) to Vizio cost $89. For return freight, Vizio charges $250 bringing the total cost of an out of warranty repair cost a staggering $1079. The current cost of a new Visio 42” LCD at Circuit City is $1099. Think of it, twenty bucks more and you get a brand new disposable TV with a new one-year warranty. What a deal!

I think it's clear that the only people who should contemplate fixing TVs are those with electronics knowledge, and access to service manuals and parts. For the rest of us, they are disposable and we certainly hope they last at least 5 years.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
This is what some people equate to poor customer service, not saying that the reseller might provide better.. From Vizo

”Service Labor
During the one (1) year warranty period, VIZIO will provide, when needed, service labor to repair a manufacturing defect at its designated service center. To obtain warranty service in the United States, you must first contact VIZIO Technical Support via email at techsupport@VIZIO.com or via phone at (949) 428-2525. The determination of service will be made by VIZIO. PLEASE DO NOT RETURN YOUR UNIT TO VIZIO WITHOUT PRIOR AUTHORIZATION.

Service
During the one (1) year warranty period, VIZIO will, at its option and sole discretion, repair or replace defective parts, which may be new or remanufactured, including replacement of the entire unit. The Customer will be required to ship the product to the service center indicated by VIZIO when the return authorization is provided. The Customer is responsible for all transportation charges to the service center. VIZIO is not responsible for the de-installation or re-installation of the product.

Packaging and Shipping Instruction
When shipping the product to an authorized VIZIO service facility, the original carton box and packing material, or an equivalent as designated by VIZIO, must be utilized.”

According to Vizio, all TVs 37” and larger must go by truck to California. Fed Ex Ground from NY to Vizio in Irvine, CA is $88.95 for its 42” LCD TV and $108.95 for its 50” plasma. You threw out the TVs packing carton? If you are in the warranty period, it’s no problem, Vizio will ship you a new cardboard box at no charge (according to its CS rep).

If the Vizio flat screen breaks after the one-year warranty expires is where it gets expensive. The prices are shocking.

For any Vizio 42” LCD, the carton and packing material with shipping is $300. Its out of warranty service is at a “Flat Rate” of $300 parts + $140 labor. Outbound shipping (FED EX ground) to Vizio cost $89. For return freight, Vizio charges $250 bringing the total cost of an out of warranty repair cost a staggering $1079. The current cost of a new Visio 42” LCD at Circuit City is $1099. Think of it, twenty bucks more and you get a brand new disposable TV with a new one-year warranty. What a deal!
An update to the shipping;

“Service
During the one (1) year warranty period, VIZIO will, at its option and sole discretion, repair or replace defective parts, which may be new or remanufactured, including replacement of the entire unit. Please note that it may be determined that the unit cannot be repaired and must be replaced. In this case, the Customer may be required to ship the product to the service center indicated by VIZIO when the return authorization is provided. For displays forty-two inches (42″) and larger, VIZIO will cover the transportation charges to replace the unit. For displays under forty-two inches (42″), the Customer is responsible for transportation charges to the service center. VIZIO will be responsible for the return transportation charges from the service center to the Customer. VIZIO is not responsible for the de-installation or re-installation of the product.”

according to http://hdguru.com/?p=108

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
I am certain that Vizio are not the only company with less than desirable customer service as you clearly mention. "First rate"...concerning what specifically? In support of my "claim" there are several forums dedicated to Vizio products, their failure, and the companies reluctance to do much or anything to remedy issues with their products. In fact, most issues have been resolved not by Vizio but by the customer returning product to store where unit was purchased and getting a refund or exchange. This did not always go so well and management had to become involved with some owners. I own an earlier plasma that is known to be a lemmon...blowing up literally left and right that Vizio are very aware of and have not acted upon the situation.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I am certain that Vizio are not the only company with less than desirable customer service as you clearly mention. "First rate"...concerning what specifically? In support of my "claim" there are several forums dedicated to Vizio products, their failure, and the companies reluctance to do much or anything to remedy issues with their products. In fact, most issues have been resolved not by Vizio but by the customer returning product to store where unit was purchased and getting a refund or exchange. This did not always go so well and management had to become involved with some owners. I own an earlier plasma that is known to be a lemmon...blowing up literally left and right that Vizio are very aware of and have not acted upon the situation.
Lets hope that Vizio keeps on improving their customer service as they are at least native to North America even though they buy their panels from other manufaturers such as LG. BTW, thanks for chiming in with your response. :) I still would have to pay an additional $500 more for the same resolution and screen size here in Canada. :(

AccessGuy

AccessGuy

Audioholic Intern
Vizio LCD TV's slightly above average in reliability according to CU

Flat panel TVs (Percentage needing repairs between 2005 and 2008) based on a sample size of 168,000 reports: (I was surprised at the Sanyo figure, but actually I have a 32" Sanyo in the guest bedroom I bought in 2005 and it's still fine, though the picture quality is certainly not nearly as good as Samsung, Sony, or Vizio)

Sanyo 1
Sony 2
Sylvania 2
Panasonic 2
JVC 2
Sharp 2

Toshiba 3
Vizio 3
Samsung 3
Philips Magnavox 3

Olevia 4
LG 4