Pioneer Phones Home with new ETAP Networking Product

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Pioneers new magic "ET" box they demoed at CEDIA was out of this world. Pioneer's ETAP focus is downloading, streaming and storage of personal media with a home theater approach to delivering networked media in the living room. Think Media PC without the PC. The ability to copy what they refer to as content managed Blu-ray discs is pretty awesome. The Pioneer reps also talked about the ability of stacking up to 14 hard drives for an almost limitless data storage and streaming solution. During the demo, we watched Blu-ray discs streamed to an iPhone which was icing on this dream cake we are all wanting to take a bite from. Best of all, it seems the retail price is targeted to be less than their flagship Blu-ray player (around $1500-$2k). Availability is uncertain, but you can expect consumers lining up to the door when they start shipping.

Discuss "Pioneer Phones Home with new ETAP Networking Product" here. Read the article.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
Sounds like a PC in sheeps clothing to me. Its probably running linix under all those curls.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
My dream is simple, but making it happen is difficult!

I just want one, central "pool" of content, and then I want to be able to watch/listen to that content on any screen in my home as well as on my laptop over WiFi and on my iPhone over 3G/4G (once 4G arrives, obviously :p )

I don't care whether my content is CD, DVD, Blu-ray disc, downloaded files, recorded OTA television, recorded cable/satellite television or streaming internet content - I just want to put it ALL in one, central "pool" and then be able to watch any of it on any screen, but also be able to simultaneously watch different content on all screens or simultaneously watch the same content on all screens with independant control at each screen!

So far, what seems to make the most sense is a Home Media Server with a HTPC at each display, but I would love a more elegant solution. A Windows Media Center + extenders doesn't really cut it for a couple of reasons:

1) getting cable/satellite recordings into Media Center is a bit of a pain. It can be done with the Hauppauge HD-PVR and some file conversion, but it's a hassle.

2) There is really no way at all to get full quality TrueHD/DTS-HD MA from Blu-ray discs that have been ripped to the hard drive. The extenders just don't handle the lossless audio codecs.

I really hate how restricted we are. To be honest, what I really, really want most of all is to completely do away with having to store any content in my home. I just want to pay a monthly fee and then literally have access to ANY and ALL content in the highest quality possible at the push of a button :D

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
I'm excited about this. Pricey now...but in time folks will be able to take this and turn it into an affordable solution that will make the "dream" come true.

E

en sabur nur

Audioholic Intern
Pioneers new magic "ET" box they demoed at CEDIA was out of this world. Pioneer's ETAP focus is downloading, streaming and storage of personal media with a home theater approach to delivering networked media in the living room. Think Media PC without the PC. The ability to copy what they refer to as content managed Blu-ray discs is pretty awesome. The Pioneer reps also talked about the ability of stacking up to 14 hard drives for an almost limitless data storage and streaming solution. During the demo, we watched Blu-ray discs streamed to an iPhone which was icing on this dream cake we are all wanting to take a bite from. Best of all, it seems the retail price is targeted to be less than their flagship Blu-ray player (around $1500-$2k). Availability is uncertain, but you can expect consumers lining up to the door when they start shipping.

Discuss "Pioneer Phones Home with new ETAP Networking Product" here. Read the article.
I didn't read anything about the Hollywood Studios being on board with this. Until I hear that, I don't think this product will make it to the market.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Movies streamed to an iPhone? That's like a flashback to the Sony Watchman. Why do people want to watch little, tiny movies? Pioneer just pulled out of most consumer electronics- I wish they would make up their minds. I also wish they would make their Kuro plasma TVs again.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Movies streamed to an iPhone? That's like a flashback to the Sony Watchman. Why do people want to watch little, tiny movies? Pioneer just pulled out of most consumer electronics- I wish they would make up their minds. I also wish they would make their Kuro plasma TVs again.
I agree, if you're home already, what's the point? I think they are just doing it b/c they can. I am more interested in copying blu-ray discs but I don't know of any "content managed" discs that hit the market yet and there will be a fee to do this which again raises the question "what's the point"?

I suppose we shall see.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis