Denon DBP-4010UDCI Universal Blu-ray Disc Player First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The DBP-4010UDCI isn't cheap unless all you have to compare it to are the top of the line Denon, Marantz or Lexicon players. Still, for the added money, you are getting top of the line components, cutting edge technology, and the piece of mind that you could have spent thousands more. While we don't expect the DBP-4010UDCI to fly off the shelves at this price point, for the user that has to have (almost) everything, this is the player for them.

Discuss "Denon DBP-4010UDCI Universal Blu-ray Disc Player First Look" here. Read the article.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
If it's got enough speed to do web browsing comfortably load times should be a breeze.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Let's see... $500 Oppo:D or $2000:eek: Denon? Decisions, decisions.:p

W

westcott

Audioholic General
It it were a thousand less, I would consider it.

I am willing to pay more for time clock deactivation and audio via DenonLink.

But $1500 more than an Oppo for the privelage is a bit steep.

Unfortunately, there $800 player does not use ABT video processing so it is not an option. (nor does it support DVD Audio and SACD)

I may just have to wait a couple of years and pick up a used one at a more reasonable price.

I tried the Oppo DV-981HD as a solution but the macroblocking was unbearable on my Panasonic plasma.

Last edited:
MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
Way Cool

The unit's not cheap but the web browser feature is waaaaaay cool. :cool:

A

Alittlemonster

The 4010

It's a nice machine at first blush, and knowing Denon, it's probably worth the price, but I'd still have reservations. After owning a 5910 for a little over 2 years, I'm about 90% satisfied, and that 10% dissatisfied is the rub. It's the Denon Link 4th Edition that is causing me the heartburn--don't trust it. Found that using the Denon Link 3rd Edition on the 5910, which seemed to sound great at first (using CD/SACD/HDCD/DVD), caused everything to sound a bit fuzzy and dull, without the detail and spacious open sound that a good CD (like a Telarc SACD) is supposed to have. Removed the DLIII and, connected a digi-coax and all at once, that dull sound became open, spacious, airy and detailed. Dropped Denon Tech an email and asked what about this? Know what they told me...? They said, connect the 5910 using analog coax. What kind of answer is that? They said it was a better than a digital connection, becuz the 5910 has great DACs. If that's the case, why bother with a "Denon Link" at all? For that matter, why bother telling everyone it's so good?

This sort of answer from Denon makes me seriously reconsider the owning of any Denon product, not to mention their new 4010 or for that matter the new A1UDCI which I was seriously considering until this Denon Link problem became apparent.

Just my two cents worth and I'll vote with my wallet.

P

PhilCohen

Audioholic
Downrezed SACD via HDMI

The only way to get full SACD sound quality from this Denon is via analogue output or via Denon Link(if you have a Denon receiver or A/V processor). While this unit can play SACD via HDMI, it downconverts the SACD sound to 44.1Khz.....in other words, fidelity like that of a regular CD. Denon continues with their policy of trying to pressure people to buy Denon receivers or (mega-pricey $7500) A/V processors, by not allowing SACD playback(or in this case, not allowing full fidelity SACD playback) via HDMI.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
It's a nice machine at first blush, and knowing Denon, it's probably worth the price, but I'd still have reservations. After owning a 5910 for a little over 2 years, I'm about 90% satisfied, and that 10% dissatisfied is the rub. It's the Denon Link 4th Edition that is causing me the heartburn--don't trust it. Found that using the Denon Link 3rd Edition on the 5910, which seemed to sound great at first (using CD/SACD/HDCD/DVD), caused everything to sound a bit fuzzy and dull, without the detail and spacious open sound that a good CD (like a Telarc SACD) is supposed to have. Removed the DLIII and, connected a digi-coax and all at once, that dull sound became open, spacious, airy and detailed. Dropped Denon Tech an email and asked what about this? Know what they told me...? They said, connect the 5910 using analog coax. What kind of answer is that? They said it was a better than a digital connection, becuz the 5910 has great DACs. If that's the case, why bother with a "Denon Link" at all? For that matter, why bother telling everyone it's so good?

This sort of answer from Denon makes me seriously reconsider the owning of any Denon product, not to mention their new 4010 or for that matter the new A1UDCI which I was seriously considering until this Denon Link problem became apparent.

Just my two cents worth and I'll vote with my wallet.
See a doctor.

Also, Denon Link cables can be had for real cheap, Cat5 works fine

A

Alittlemonster

Missed the point

Seth=L has missed the point. Sure CAT 5 cables can be had real cheapie if you like cheapie cables...can even make up one any length needed. However, the CAT 5 cable is not the problem. DLIII is a feature that doesn't seem to work as it should. And why change a digital signal to analog via the player's DAC, then connect it to a Denon reciever via its analog inputs only to have it reconverted back to digital via an ADC in order to use the pre-amps processing, then back to analog via the receiver's DACs? That's a lot of conversions, when, if the DLIII worked properly to begin with, the signal would stay digital all the way and the pre-amp/signal processing within the receiver can be used as intended.

Now, I don't know if the new DLIV also has problems, but until Denon can come up with an answer, I'm not willing to chance my hard earned bucks to find out. That's the point Seth=L.

J

jomark911

Audioholic Intern
Seth=L has missed the point. Sure CAT 5 cables can be had real cheapie if you like cheapie cables...can even make up one any length needed. However, the CAT 5 cable is not the problem. DLIII is a feature that doesn't seem to work as it should. And why change a digital signal to analog via the player's DAC, then connect it to a Denon reciever via its analog inputs only to have it reconverted back to digital via an ADC in order to use the pre-amps processing, then back to analog via the receiver's DACs? That's a lot of conversions, when, if the DLIII worked properly to begin with, the signal would stay digital all the way and the pre-amp/signal processing within the receiver can be used as intended.

Now, I don't know if the new DLIV also has problems, but until Denon can come up with an answer, I'm not willing to chance my hard earned bucks to find out. That's the point Seth=L.
There is no further analog to digital conversion in the prepro , or av receiver ,
as far as denon's , except if you want to activate the bass management.
I own a avp a1hd , and there is a direct menu , as if you want to apply dsp or not on the analog signal.I choose not to, so the analog pure direct signal goes to volume and then passed on to the power amp.

John

W

westcott

Audioholic General
There is no further analog to digital conversion in the prepro , or av receiver ,
as far as denon's , except if you want to activate the bass management.
I own a avp a1hd , and there is a direct menu , as if you want to apply dsp or not on the analog signal.I choose not to, so the analog pure direct signal goes to volume and then passed on to the power amp.

John
Sorry, but this is wrong. ALL CD, DVD, and BR is digital to begin with. Sending it via analog does require a conversion, and as SethL stated, the DenonLink is supposed to be a straightforward way of keeping it digital without any conversions at all.

J

jomark911

Audioholic Intern
I wasn't talking about denon link , which of course is digital transfer , and there is only one digital to analog conversion.
I was refering to the analog output of the player and passed on the analog input of the prepro or the receiver.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
I wasn't talking about denon link , which of course is digital transfer , and there is only one digital to analog conversion.
I was refering to the analog output of the player and passed on the analog input of the prepro or the receiver.
I know you were not but our point is, if you keep it in the digital domain, there are NO conversions, from beginning to end.

J

jomark911

Audioholic Intern
Well i suppose there is one ,the final d to a so that analog signal comes out of the prepro or the receiver.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis