Control4 Demos v2.0 at CEDIA

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Control4 is probably most well known as the company that woke up the industry and said "Um, why are you guys killing yourselves over this horrendous AMX/Crestron programming lnguage?" Serious, in an industry where time is money and competition is fierce, Control4 has brought the Apple computer to the Windows convention. And you can see it, While the booth may not be as big as Crestron, the attitude and makeup of the people are different. Control4 installers are curious, excited and energetic... Crestron's booth seem filled with beaten down old-timers who are so entrenched in an outdated obsolete system that they have no choiuce but to cntinue to pay exobitant pricing and allow the gaint freighter to turn slowly towards a future that Control4 brought several years ago.

Discuss "Control4 Demos v2.0 at CEDIA" here. Read the article.

T

TOADSKI

Audiophyte
Control 4 Rocks!!!

This article is over my head and I understood very little, but Control 4 is a great product I have it myself and it is my favorite feature of my home theater. under 2k installed including light dimmers etc 24 months now and no trouble and so easy to use my 6 year old or my mother in law can watch a movie. One remote, press play... lights dim its movie time!
I haven't even tapped into the rest of the house-yet.
That is another beauty thing it can be built over time no wires to run ever!

my only complaint is a non backlit remote

marknlynch

marknlynch

Audiophyte
Backlit Remote

Get one of the new SR250 remotes and that will resolve your only problem!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'm gonna say that the slap at AMX/Crestron is a bit foolish since Control 4 most definitely is not capable of the same levels of advanced programming that is sometimes required for specific environments and talking to installers who have worked with both systems they have been honest about the limitations which Control 4 has in a system that can be extremely complex.

Where Control 4 shines is with the mid-level home systems that don't demand AMX/Crestron level equipment, but definitely need a step up from the URC basic remote control, and perhaps go beyond the advanced URC type remotes.

It certainly isn't dinosaurs using Crestron as they are something like a three hundred MILLION dollar company with half that business coming from residential sales. So clearly, people are buying in and they offer unique product which crosses over and allows nearly 100% integration of all systems whether or not there is already a 3rd party application written.

The plus side of Control 4 is the ease of integration with what has existing macros, graphics, and control written for it. It definitely hits on that mid-tier market which doesn't require the full custom scope which more advanced control systems can deliver upon. They also are doing a great job pushing their product forward and advancing which hopefully will continue to drive the other players into making more product which is more affordable and works even better than it already does.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis