Roku gets into Baseball

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Roku has announced a new partnership with MLB.com. MLB.com has offered a streaming service for the baseball fanatic called the MLB.TV Premium subscription. This allows you to watch games that are out of market or just not being shown in your area. With the Roku partnership, you can watch live games delayed approximately 90 mintues from their air time. Cost of Roku + MLB - $135 (first year, $35 a year after) - for DirectTV - $159 a year, every year. You do the math.

Discuss "Roku gets into Baseball" here. Read the article.

S

Slee_Stack

Junior Audioholic
I am the exact target audience for this and yet I would have ZERO interest in watching a 90 minute AFTER THE GAME ENDS contest. Pbbffft.

Why would I not just watch the game (with a <2 minute delay) on ANY computer/laptop like I do already?

What this amounts to is a NON LIVE , ARCHIVED GAME ONLY mlb.tv subscription.

Also, how DIFFICULT is it to connect a laptop to a TV? Seriously. If you can't do that, then forgot about hooking up the Roku to the TV.

I suppose the service is cheaper ($35 a season vs the $100 a season I pay now) but then I can currently watch LIVE games AND archived ones.

Now if I buy the Roku box and I can get MLB premium LIVE subscriptions for $35 thereafter on the PC, then its pretty SLICK!

But then, I doubt that's the case.

So, do the math, $35 for watching OLD, ARCHIVED games, or $100 for watching live GOOD_QUALITY games on the computer, or $160 for watching live HIGH-DEF over satellite. Sorry, but ended games aren't even worth a dime to me.

Last edited:
I think it's a great idea. I want them to add tons of content to this box. Until we start seeing tons of content flowing through set top boxes - and not just the Internet - we won't get to that next level.

That next level, as I see it, is where the direct-content model is ad-supported and the cable/satellite companies are thwarted from throttling us for $100+ /month in cable bills...

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
If anyone gets this thing, open it up and look for a JTAG connector. Maybe I can get into hacking this thing...

C

cherilyne

Audiophyte
How come baseball pitchers don't start every game? If its because they need to rest, than they are really lazy and week.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis