Is This the End of DVD Copying?

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
At time when content seems to be pushing towards Blu-ray, it seems almost surreal that California courts are undoing a two-year old ruling that paved the way for content owners to finally back up their DVDs to hard drives and push forward into the digital millennium. To say that this has been a week of setbacks for the industry as a whole is an understatement.

Discuss "Is This the End of DVD Copying?" here. Read the article.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Since the content industry is making little progress in successfully providing a means of growing the digital libraries of consumers - and forcing the physical disc upon them -
The whole problem is that they want to make the physical media disappear. What do you think will happen when movies are distributed in a totally streamed fashion? Much more lock down.

I cringe the day that the physical media disappears. I guess I am a pessimist.

K

kevon27

Annoying Poster
This is a problem for companies like Real, Kaleidescape and the rest who want to "SELL" dvd/bluray management on hard drives.

For US people with the know how, this ain't an issue. Ripping DVD's, CD's to a media server is nothing to do. Bluray is just as easy (take longer though).
There is free software out there to convert bluray rips into formats media center and the likes can read and play, with all the quality in sound and video retained.

So, for me this is not an issue. For the people who want to make media servers a business, they're screwed.

split0101

split0101

Junior Audioholic
NPR Science Friday had a good segment on content "ownership" in the digital age with a focus on the Amazon Kindle debockle. With all the young kids growing up with iPods and the such the kids dont have that connection to media as some of us older folks do.

Be it right or wrong I feel when I buy a CD or a DVD I should be able to do with it whatever I please. Obviously Im dont agree with ripping a CD/DVD and putting it out there for the world to DL for free, but I should have the right to backup my physical media and play it on whatever device I choose.

F

fteixeira

Enthusiast
That's the arse judge from Pink Floyd's "The Wall". Very appropriate.

fteixeira

jinjuku

jinjuku

NPR Science Friday had a good segment on content "ownership" in the digital age with a focus on the Amazon Kindle debockle. With all the young kids growing up with iPods and the such the kids dont have that connection to media as some of us older folks do.

Be it right or wrong I feel when I buy a CD or a DVD I should be able to do with it whatever I please. Obviously Im dont agree with ripping a CD/DVD and putting it out there for the world to DL for free, but I should have the right to backup my physical media and play it on whatever device I choose.
Do you know when that aired, or better yet have a direct link to the NPR podcast?

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Its my understanding that studios were going to implement "managed copy". Ill try to find the link I posted awhile back.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Its my understanding that studios were going to implement "managed copy". Ill try to find the link I posted awhile back.
'Managed Copy' is nothing more than Charlie Brown (the consumer) attempting to kick the football held by Lucie (Big Content).

I wouldn't hold my breath for anything resembling reasonableness even if they do it.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Would DVDFab Decrypter be the little red haired girl in that analogy? :)

jinjuku

jinjuku

Would DVDFab Decrypter be the little red haired girl in that analogy? :)
Nah, any CSS decryption software would be pig-pen. The idiots that wrote CSS in first place are the squawking adults.

Me, I'm Snoopy:p

R

rancarl

Audiophyte
California's Fault?

What's with the gratuitous remark "gotta love those Californians who want the rest of the country to fall in line with them." I'm a non-native Californian, and I can tell you authoritatively that we have plenty of our own problems without worrying one iota about whether anyone else falls in line.

There's a myth that "Everything new starts in California" which is only 90% true.It can be argued that the DVD itself originated at the Almaden Research Center near San Jose.The judicial ruling in question was probably made in California because we're still a center of technology and entertainment, not because our understanding of the law is different from the rest of the country.

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
The judicial ruling location has to do with where the lawsuit was levied. Everything else is coincidence.

RealNetwork's litigation site

What is not coincidence is that the US Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit has quite possibly the highest reversal rate at the Supreme Court level.

The basis for the lawsuit comes down to this: The Film/Music Industry does not want anyone to "own" the product they buy. By keeping ownership out of the consumer they don't have to abide by fair use laws because the product is not actually owned.

-pat

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
That's the judge in The Trial animation sequence from Pink Floyd's The Wall.
Ahhh. Thanks. I figured that it was from something, but I didn't know what. It's just that it looks like a few different body parts. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis