Xbox LIVE Update Tomorrow Includes Netflix Browsing

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Don't miss out on the new Xbox LIVE update coming tomorrow (August 11, 2009). The new update is a fairly big one and will allow users to download full Xbox 360 games and play them without a disc. You'll also be able to "party watch" movies online through Netflix. The Netflix system will also receive a much-needed overhaul, allowing users to search and update their Watch Now queues right in the interface - without having to leave the Xbox 360 and use a web browser. Avatars also get an overhaul with both props and "premium" content for those who like to spend money on outfitting animated icons with the latest fashions... but seriously, anyone who does this needs help. The August 11th update also allows every piece of game content on Marketplace to be rated, so you can add your personal ratings and see what others think is cool. We provide the full breakdown of features.

Discuss "Xbox LIVE Update Tomorrow Includes Netflix Browsing" here. Read the article.

majorloser

majorloser

Avatars also get an overhaul with both props and "premium" content for those who like to spend money on outfitting animated icons with the latest fashions... but seriously, anyone who does this needs help.
You know Gene would pay big bucks to outfit his avatar in a Starfleet uniform. :p

Seriously, the Netflix browser is something that's way overdue. Only bad thing is our 360's will be tying up even more of our home network bandwidth from now on. :(

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
How many full game downloads would it take to fill up a 20 or even a 60 gig hard drive? Probably not too many, I think that Microsoft should drasticly reduce the cost of their 120 gig hard drives. The nice thing about the PS3 is that I can upgrade the hard drive myself which means I could add a 500 gig hard drive for a reasonable cost, wheras with the 360 you are limited to what MS wants you to have. Plus without the ability to burn the games you buy, I don't really like it, since the majority of 360 owners have 20 gig hdds and they will have to delete games whenever they want to download a new one, unless MS gives them the ability to move their purchased games to a PC and restore them back when they want to play them again.

I am excited to see how much faster the account recovery process is, as it desperately needs to be a much faster operation.

Last edited:
majorloser

majorloser

I'd love to be able to use an external USB harddrive with the 360.

A

AndrewLyles

Audioholic
I thought I read somewhere that the Netflix browsing will be limited to the Top 50 picks in each category...if true it's not really going to do much for you.

Also, the beta of the new update reportedly had issues with the sharing a movie with friends. For some reason none of the Stars! content was available.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Just updated one of my 360's this morning, will update the other one when I get home from work, and hopefully I'll see some improvements.

I

IndoSlim

Audioholic Intern
High Def Netflix?

I watched a Netflix movie on my 360 the other day and I noticed something interesting--while it was determining my bandwidth, I saw a "HD" symbol next to the status bars. Has anyone else seen this? Is Netflix now offering High Definition movies? Am I late or something? The quality was noticeably better than the usual movies I watch on my 360 through Netflix. I'm not sure if it was HD or not, but it was better. Any word on Dolby Digital?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
It could be that it noted you had enough bandwidth to support hd.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Netflix has had an HD section in instant view for a while. Go to watch instantly on the Netflix site and choose "HD" from the genre list. Whether or not you see it in HD depends on your bandwidth.

The HD streaming looks quite a bit better but it is still stereo audio... most of the time. I tried to watch Leverage last night and while it was in "HD" and looked great the sound was horribly awful to the point that I could not watch. It was monophonic and sounded like it was coming through a 10 foot PVC pipe.

Some things end up streaming in HD that aren't even listed in the HD section. The Office is an example.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I don't think I would even consider using any type of streaming media whether it be netflix or whatever, until the quality is at least dvd quality or better, and also has at least dolby digital 5.1 audio.

I

IndoSlim

Audioholic Intern
It's better than DVD!

I don't think I would even consider using any type of streaming media whether it be netflix or whatever, until the quality is at least dvd quality or better, and also has at least dolby digital 5.1 audio.
My receiver does a pretty good job with PLII so I don't mind watching the streaming, even though I would very much prefer DD. As far as DVD quality, it would seem that as long as you have the bandwidth, which I do, the Netflix streaming movies are actually better than DVD! I will say, however, that Netflix is extremely lacking in the selection of new releases though. Hopefully, one day Sony will stop being so stubborn and petty and release their huge catalog of movies to Netflix. I don't think they realize how much money they could be making from Netflix (dumb a$$e$!). So to sum it all up, don't knock it till you try it.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I guess the big thing that is stopping me from going to Netflix is that Blockbuster offers in store exchanges, which allows me to get new release blu rays quicker. I agree that PLIIx is pretty good, but it's still not as good as 5.1. But I do have the bandwidth to support streaming HD, I just wish gigabit internet was available in my neighborhood since I just upgraded all my hardware to gigabit, and so far I'm loving it.

I

IndoSlim

Audioholic Intern
I Love Blockbuster TOO!

I guess the big thing that is stopping me from going to Netflix is that Blockbuster offers in store exchanges, which allows me to get new release blu rays quicker. I agree that PLIIx is pretty good, but it's still not as good as 5.1. But I do have the bandwidth to support streaming HD, I just wish gigabit internet was available in my neighborhood since I just upgraded all my hardware to gigabit, and so far I'm loving it.
Actually, I have BOTH! I love Blockbuster online and have been a customer for years now; but when I found out that Netflix had streaming over the Xbox for just $9 a month, I couldn't pass that up! So now I have just the bare minimum Netflix option just for the streaming, and the 3-at-a-time unlimited with Blockbuster. Netflix just cannot compete with Blockbuster when it comes to the sheer number of movies it has--AND I can return them in the store FOR FREE!!--you just can't beat that! I think they both have their plusses and minuses, but overall, I'd say that Blockbuster is the way to go. Or you can do like me and just have both. :)

majorloser

majorloser

I agree. I loved being able to return movies in the store for exchanges. I would put older and obscure titles in the on-line queue and pick up new releases in the store on my way home from work. Only reason I went with Netflix was for HD-DVD's and now Blurays. But Netflix's delivery is pretty lame for me. I've been giving Netflix another shot while the Xbox360 streaming gets fully worked out. But I may switch back to BB.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis