2009 $500 Receiver Comparison Guide

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
In a continuing effort to demystify your receiver choices, we come to a price point that is probably one of the most popular - around $500. In this comparison, we'll be looking at receivers from Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, and Yamaha. At the near $500 price point, manufacturers have a bit more room to play with features and their design philosophies become pretty apparent.

Discuss "2009 $500 Receiver Comparison Guide" here. Read the article.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Thanks Tom for this article. I always love these type of quick comparisons.

Again, another Denon receiver, is the winner in my book here. The AVR-790.
But I'm disappointed at the lack of multichannel output.
But then, only the Yamaha RX-V565 sports that feature, from these four receivers.
And besides, nothing new about Denon, on that feature missing from all their mid and lower budget models. What were they thinking?

Seems that Component video is taking a hit also, I think it's on his way out, soon to be extinct.

And the Onkyo, no multichannel input!!! Hmmm... Is it the beginning of the end for Onkyo?

Anyway, the only one winner from that small group, is still the Denon AVR-790. :)
So, Bravo, for at least winning this small contest.
That's my own personal take.

Bob

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
In a continuing effort to demystify your receiver choices, we come to a price point that is probably one of the most popular - around $500. In this comparison, we'll be looking at receivers from Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, and Yamaha. At the near $500 price point, manufacturers have a bit more room to play with features and their design philosophies become pretty apparent.

Discuss "2009 $500 Receiver Comparison Guide" here. Read the article.
The video processing of the Denon, if implemented properly, would probably make it my choice of these, if I were buying one of them at MSRP. But if it is not implemented well, then I think I would rather have the Yamaha.

I am not planning on buying a new receiver in the foreseeable future, but any word on if and when you will test the video processing of the Denon?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
In my mind, the Yammy is the clear winner here espcilly if your considering it as a pre-amp. It has all the featurs required except for "noise items" such as IPOD docks and HD radio such as Syrus. Upscang to componnt video? With the advent of HDMI, why go there? Its not as useful as it once was unless you have an older display and or video sources.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja

Seems that Component video is taking a hit also, I think it's on his way out, soon to be extinct.
I think you are right. HDMI is the connection of the future, insofar as any current connection is of the future. Composite will probably stick around a while, as it can be used with many old things, and it can be used to change the settings on one's source if one has things set incompatibly with the HDMI video choice.

I have never used more than one component source, as I jumped from S-Video to HDMI. I have an old DVD player that is hooked up via component, but otherwise, I have no use for it at all, and even with it, I rarely use that player anymore anyway, as I have a better player now. And for the future, I will not buy a new video source without an HDMI output, unless I buy something to play old format items, in which case I would probably be using composite anyway.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I never used Composite or S-Video in the last what, three years or more, in my main system. Components video, No need for them either, in the last 6 months or so.

SO, give me a receiver with 0 Composite video, 0 S-Video, and 0 Components video.
Just give me 5 HDMI inputs or more, and 2 HDMI outputs, that's all.
Oh, also, get rid of all that junk of way too many analog inputs.
Only very few will do, like perhaps 4 or 5 max.
Analog multichannel input and output (7.1), YES, I want those.

The true receiver of tomorrow is one that has nine (9) internal power amplifiers, three (3) subwoofer outputs and a bunch of HDMI connectors (In & Out), with only few analog inputs, some digital Coaxial inputs and outputs (more digital Coaxial that digital Optical inputs & outputs), a good Phono section, a good Headphone section, a good analog FM radio section, a microphone jack, few triggers, and that's it for me.
I don't want Ethernet port, no USB port, no Sirius radio, no HD radio, no XM radio, no i-Pod port, no nothing else...

In the rear panel of my wishing receiver, there will be enough space to put a car licence plate, without obstructing any connector. :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I never used Composite or S-Video in the last what, three years or more, in my main system. Components video, No need for them either, in the last 6 months or so.

SO, give me a receiver with 0 Composite video, 0 S-Video, and 0 Components video.
Just give me 5 HDMI inputs or more, and 2 HDMI outputs, that's all.
Oh, also, get rid of all that junk of way too many analog inputs.
Only very few will do, like perhaps 4 or 5 max.
Analog multichannel input and output (7.1), YES, I want those.

The true receiver of tomorrow is one that has nine (9) internal power amplifiers, three (3) subwoofer outputs and a bunch of HDMI connectors (In & Out), with only few analog inputs, some digital Coaxial inputs and outputs (more digital Coaxial that digital Optical inputs & outputs), a good Phono section, a good Headphone section, a good analog FM radio section, a microphone jack, few triggers, and that's it for me.
I don't want Ethernet port, no USB port, no Sirius radio, no HD radio, no XM radio, no i-Pod port, no nothing else...

In the rear panel of my wishing receiver, there will be enough space to put a car licence plate, without obstructing any connector. :)
Ya forgot the all important gun rack made from moose antlers :D

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
The RX-V565 does NOT have zone 2 capability. I found this out first hand when I attempted to install one for a customer for that soul reason. The RX-V563 predecessor had it so the salesman assumed the 565 was the same. Wrong.

That's a screenshot from the manual. There are no zone 2 outputs of any kind.

3db said:
In my mind, the Yammy is the clear winner here espcilly if your considering it as a pre-amp.
The 565 has no preouts. It has only a single stereo audio output that is line level.

I must say that I am not impressed at all with the latest Yamaha receivers below the RX-V1900. They are much less flexible in how they're setup. They have strayed from the traditional Yamaha input arrangement and that has, in my opinion, made it more difficult for the average person to use and much less flexible as far as connections. The digital inputs are not assignable and the amps are less powerful. When it comes to receivers with class A/B amps weight is a significant factor. The Yamaha is the lightest in the group. Up until last year I would have said Yamaha was the clear leader in the sub $1000 category but not now. It's a step backwards. Wake up Yamaha before you turn into another Sony in this price bracket. :eek:

At this price point I find the Denon AVR-790 to be the most robust and flexible. All devices have their flaws and the Denon remote is one of them but it makes up for that with everything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Ya forgot the all important gun rack made from moose antlers :D
LOL. Good one. :D

But I did forget: No Zone 2-3-4-5-6.................
Screw that, I got tons of other receivers and speakers and Blu-ray players...
My 5 Zones are all discrete Zones, wireless. :D

Ya, I want everything Wireless now; NO MORE WIRES, NONE, AT ALL, EVER. :D
That's the Way of the Future; WIRELESS. So, 0 connectors (zip, nada), in the rear of my future receiver. And invisible speakers too. :D

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I agree with you entirely.

The RX-V565 does NOT have zone 2 capability. I found this out first hand when I attempted to install one for a customer for that soul reason. The RX-V563 predecessor had it so the salesman assumed the 565 was the same. Wrong.

That's a screenshot from the manual. There are no zone 2 outputs of any kind.

The 565 has no preouts. It has only a single stereo audio output that is line level.

I must say that I am not impressed at all with the latest Yamaha receivers below the RX-V1900. They are much less flexible in how they're setup. They have strayed from the traditional Yamaha input arrangement and that has, in my opinion, made it more difficult for the average person to use and much less flexible as far as connections. The digital inputs are not assignable and the amps are less powerful. When it comes to receivers with class A/B amps weight is a significant factor. The Yamaha is the lightest in the group. Up until last year I would have said Yamaha was the clear leader in the sub $1000 category but not now. It's a step backwards. Wake up Yamaha before you turn into another Sony in this price bracket. :eek:

At this price point I find the Denon AVR-790 to be the most robust and flexible. All devices have their flaws and the Denon remote is one of them but it makes up for that with everything else.
I agree 100% with everything that you just said.

Bob

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Just look at the back of the two receivers.

Keep in mind that the MSRP of the 565 is $20 more than the 563. The 565 also weighs about a pound less.

I'm pretty sure that Tom is confusing the 565 with the 665 because the 565 does NOT have dual sub outputs or satellite radio support and it does NOT have a multichannel input or output.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
^ I know, this is insane! :eek:

And did you noticed those spring clips? :eek:

* Yep, Tom does make some small mistakes once in a while. ;)
He must be checking if we're really attentive to small but important details.
I'll bet he's a busy man, with a lot to do, and a lot on his mind too.

F

Flummox

Audiophyte
Wrong Yamaha

You've listed the Yamaha as the 565 but the features you list belong to the 665 (7.2 pre outs etc.) which is $75 more I think.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Last edited:
C

cynan

Enthusiast
Denon AVR 790 also has Amp Assign (not just 1910)

Note - Denon offers an AVR-1910 for $50 more with enhanced power amp assignability (which is code for B speakers from what I can tell). There may be additional features but they don't seem to be very prominent or important enough to Denon to mention it.

This power amp assign is essentially the ability to delegate the amplifer for 2 channels to either drive:

1) Zone 2 stereo speakers
2) Surround back channels in a 7.1 config
3) Bi-amplification for either Front A or Front B speakers (not sure why anyone would want to do this one..)
4) Front high speakers for Dolby Pro Logic IIz

The AVR-790 also has this feature (not just the AVR-2310ci). Last year's AVR-789 and 889 had this as well. This year's models just added the extra Dolby Pro Logic IIz option.

Edit: You are right that the 1910 does have an extra set of speaker terminals for Front B speakers. I'm just not sure what this has to do with Amp Assign feature..

I guess by "enhanced" Amp Assign, they mean the ability to assign the rear surroud channels to bi-amp the Front B speakers - since this would not be possible on the 790 since there are no Front B speaker terminals.

Last edited:
Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I still feel the Yamaha is more versatile than the Denon and it can be used as a pre-amp where the Denon cannot.
It depends upon what you want to do with the receiver. The Denon evidently has a video chip that, if implemented properly, can give stellar video upconversion. But if you have inefficient speakers, low impedance speakers, or listen at deafening levels, then buying a receiver with the preamp outputs might be necessary, so one can add more robust amplification. Most people, however, do not need them.

By the way, I generally have preferred Yamaha in the past in the price/performance ratio. I have owned three surround receivers, the last two of which (including my current one) have been Yamaha. When it comes time to replace mine, I will look at what Yamaha is offering at that time, and decide accordingly. But among these receivers, I think most people would be better off with the Denon. But, of course, different needs can make different choices better.

Among these that are being discussed, the $550 Yamaha RX-V665 would be my second choice.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
That's too bad about the Onkyo HT-RC160, I'd wish it has more features, to be more competitive with the others. But for my own personal use, I will probably pick it up over the Yamaha, and the Pioneer too.
But that's just me then.

M

menlojoe

Audiophyte
upconver to component for Denon AVR 790?

Hi Tom,

Great article! I was set to buy the Pioneer VSX-1019ah-k as I needed the upconvert to component feature and it seems to be the only one to have this in the $500 range. However, I was reading the blurb on AVR 790 on the Denon site:

and this sentence caught my eye:

------------------
The video section features the latest Video Reference Series processor from Anchor Bay Technologies, providing analog-to-digital video deinterlacing and upconversion to HD, with both component and HDMI outputs...
------------------

It sure sounds like the upconversion goes to the component outputs as well. Am I misreading this statement?

//Joe

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis