Toshiba Goes Roman, Blu-ray Player Due out Later this Year

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Ah, the glorious days of the format war, ending in surrender but never a truce signed. Toshiba ceded the war but said they would never make a Blu-ray play. Well, the truce may finally be signed.

Discuss "Toshiba Goes Roman, Blu-ray Player Due out Later this Year" here. Read the article.

bobnegi

bobnegi

Audioholic Intern
Toshiba blu ray

Well if ya can't beat them, join them. I wonder if Toshiba has any intention of making a combo player, for all of us with a HD DVD collection, this would be rather thoughtfull, from a customer service point of view

D

dgreenstein55

Audiophyte
Blu-Ray Nothing new for Toshiba

I think what everyone is forgetting is that Toshiba has been making Blu-Ray drives for quite some time, under the TSST moniker. The joint venture between Toshiba and Samsung has produced nice success in the form of Blu-Ray for quite sometime. It is only my hope now that Toshiba can take the build quality that they were putting into their HD-DVD players and move it on up to Blu-Ray, with things like HQV processing in the upper line as a well as multi-channel discrete outputs!

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Looks perfect.

I like that, a Sony Blu-ray player (from their well known blue box design),
with a big red Toshiba logo brand, right in the middle of the front face. :cool::)

Whoever came with that idea, is a wise fellow.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I like that, a Sony Blu-ray player (from their well known blue box design),
with a big red Toshiba logo brand, right in the middle of the front face. :cool::)

Whoever came with that idea, is a wise fellow.
I can never tell when you are being serious, you do know that's a quick and easy photoshop job right?:D

W

westcott

Audioholic General
I think what everyone is forgetting is that Toshiba has been making Blu-Ray drives for quite some time, under the TSST moniker. The joint venture between Toshiba and Samsung has produced nice success in the form of Blu-Ray for quite sometime. It is only my hope now that Toshiba can take the build quality that they were putting into their HD-DVD players and move it on up to Blu-Ray, with things like HQV processing in the upper line as a well as multi-channel discrete outputs!
+1

There are far too few BR players with quality video processors like the ones found in the HDXA2 and BDP1200 that came out when the format wars were at their peak. Seems like now that the war is over, quality video processors have been left out of the equation on most BR players. Anchor Bay would not be bad either, like the one in the new Oppo.

E

Electone

Audioholic
Just for the record, Blu-ray's acronym is BD, not BR.

Here's hoping Toshiba can come to the market with a high-quality and affordable Blu-ray player. I don't care what anyone says, full-scale adoption of Blu-ray will continue to be hampered by high prices for both hardware and software and this will continue until we have a large assortment of $100-150 players and $10-15 movies.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
+1

There are far too few BR players with quality video processors like the ones found in the HDXA2 and BDP1200 that came out when the format wars were at their peak. Seems like now that the war is over, quality video processors have been left out of the equation on most BR players. Anchor Bay would not be bad either, like the one in the new Oppo.
Anchor Bay would be preferred as Silicon Optix declared bankruptcy.

Moreover, Toshiba was one of the first vendors (before Oppo) to use Anchor Bay scaling with the HD-A20. Unfortunately, the A20, A30 and A35 used Anchor Bay video processing but not Anchor Bay (*cough* NEC) de-interlacing.

A Toshiba BD-XA2 combo or or even Blu-Ray standalone would be very welcome. Unfortunately, competition is now tough as Panny, Samsung and Sony all have profile 2.0 machines that decode everything to multichannel analog outs. Toshiba, at minimum, needs to follow LG and Samsung's example and add Netflix, Pandora, etc.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis