Converting a Storage Space into Home Theater

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Unless you can build your home theater from scratch, it’s likely that you’ll have to jump a few hurdles to get a room into shape. Often, it’s a choice of the lesser of two evils. The owners of this theater had originally planned on converting a lower-level guest bedroom into their media area, but after a chat with the custom electronics pros at Audio Video Interiors in Medina, Ohio, they decided that the larger storage area was a better choice.

Discuss "Converting a Storage Space into Home Theater" here. Read the article.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Nice looking room but that is about it. Once again, the designers are not qualified or are not able to sell a proper room set up.

Seating against a back wall is a just wrong acoustically. In wall sound systems, another acoustic compromise all in the name of appearace.

Sorry, this is a dedicated space and I see no reason why a "professional" would take acoustics so lightly. Anyone can make a good looking space. It is the true designer that takes everything into consideration and makes it work.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I think that's being a little rough, westcott. Just a little though. Is the back wall a full wall of acoustic panels? It looks like it could be. And every multi row theater has choices to make, whether to compromise between all positions, or make it so that the captain's seat has it best. (And you'll see experts' advice vary on the same question; I know I've asked and received). Maybe in this scenario, front and center has the best acoustical spot, and to hell with the others. Just sayin'.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I think that's being a little rough, westcott. Just a little though. Is the back wall a full wall of acoustic panels? It looks like it could be. And every multi row theater has choices to make, whether to compromise between all positions, or make it so that the captain's seat has it best. (And you'll see experts' advice vary on the same question; I know I've asked and received). Maybe in this scenario, front and center has the best acoustical spot, and to hell with the others. Just sayin'.
Equipment List
Acoustic Innovations Eurotech Seating (10 motorized / Broadway leather)
Integra DTR-8.8 Receiver
Runco RS1100 Projector
Rucno Whitney Anamorphic Lens
Stewart Filmscreen Vertical Electrimask Screen (9’ Wide / Ultramatte 200 / 2.35:1 - 1.78:1)
Control4 HC500 Processor
Control4 TSM10 10” Touchscreen
Control4 LDZ101 Dimmer(s)
Control4 KPZ-6B1 Keypad(s)
Richard Gray’s 1200 Custom
Richard Gray’s RGPC Powerlink
RPG Modex Module(s)
RPG Skyline LP Panel(s)
RPG Skline Panel(s)
Workin Walls Acoustic Absorber(s)
Sony BDPS350
Triad Silver/15 PowerSub (2)
Triad Silver/4 LCR (3)
Triad Silver/4 Surround (4)
MiddleAtlantic ERK Custom Rack
DirecTV HR21 (3)

W

westcott

Audioholic General
I think that's being a little rough, westcott.
I would not be so critical of a system had it been done by someone who is not paid to provide a professional solution. But, once an "expert" enters the picture, I think holding back would be a disservice not to point out the shortcomings. Others may look to these "professionals" only to get the same results.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I would not be so critical of a system had it been done by someone who is not paid to provide a professional solution. But, once an "expert" enters the picture, I think holding back would be a disservice not to point out the shortcomings. Others may look to these "professionals" only to get the same results.
How on earth do you know that the room doesnt provide great sound and enjoyment? Just by looking a couple of pictures and an inwall speakers? Please:rolleyes:

W

westcott

Audioholic General
How on earth do you know that the room doesnt provide great sound and enjoyment? Just by looking a couple of pictures and an inwall speakers? Please:rolleyes:
Your statement is typical of those who do not understand room acoustics, proper speaker placement, and the importance of seating position. To many, they would be perfectly happy with the sound and video in this setup because they do not know any better. Ignorance can be bliss. But for those of us who do know better, it is very apparent that this room was not designed with audio as its primary concern.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Looking at what was done and how it ultimately looks, I suspect it wasn't designed with audio priority in mind. It seems to be a movie room, not an audio room, and that is more likely what the customer wanted. My guess is these people do fall into the category of "wouldn't know any better" as you've stated, and I agree, there are some very obvious compromises in the room's design that I would have had to spend a lot more time pondering before building this room.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Your statement is typical of those who do not understand room acoustics, proper speaker placement, and the importance of seating position. To many, they would be perfectly happy with the sound and video in this setup because they do not know any better. Ignorance can be bliss. But for those of us who do know better, it is very apparent that this room was not designed with audio as its primary concern.
Your right im ignorant when it comes to acoustics;) And for us dont know better please praise us with why this theater doesnt provide meaningful enjoyment. Are you saying that this theater sounds bad?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I would expect it sounds good, but not "bring a tear to your eye" good :D

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
And fwiw are we sure the front 3 are in wall? I can't tell even from the pics of the equipment room. They say the 3.2 are behind the screen.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Nice looking room but that is about it. Once again, the designers are not qualified or are not able to sell a proper room set up.

Seating against a back wall is a just wrong acoustically. In wall sound systems, another acoustic compromise all in the name of appearace.

Sorry, this is a dedicated space and I see no reason why a "professional" would take acoustics so lightly. Anyone can make a good looking space. It is the true designer that takes everything into consideration and makes it work.
I'd take it easy on the criticisms. It seems your being a bit presumptious here about a few things.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja

Although I agree that it is probably not a good idea to put seating up against the rear wall, you should remember that this was not a room from scratch, but was using existing space and changing it to fit 10 seats in a theater. Judging from the pictures, with the space available, the other option would be to put people too close to the screen. If one expects perfection, one will generally need to build from scratch, not merely convert some existing space for new use.

The article specifically states that the space available was not perfect, and there was a strong implication in the very first paragraph that compromise was necessary ("Often, it’s a choice of the lesser of two evils.").

So, no, it is not perfect, and no one ever claimed it was.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Is it just me, or looking at the list of equipment, tells me the budget of this project could be instead put into building whole new dedicated room.
Runco projector by itself is over 12k, LCR's $800 each plus lets not forget the "high-quality" Monster interconnects.....

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Is it just me, or looking at the list of equipment, tells me the budget of this project could be instead put into building whole new dedicated room.
Runco projector by itself is over 12k, LCR's $800 each plus lets not forget the "high-quality" Monster interconnects.....
Honestly, agian what is wrong with the theater?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Building home theater out of storage space seems like very budget minded idea, but 100 to 250k budget spent on this project screaming otherwise...
If I would be in this house owner spot, I might consider paying just a bit more for moving the air ducts or again building out new house extension dedicated for home theater.
My point is, I don't know why he [owner] decided on this project to be done this way, but It seams that budget was hardly his limit.
In his shoes I'd spent half of the amount to get about 99.999% of features on this build-up...

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
The bottom line here is - are the homeowners happy? I'd imagine they are. Is it perfect - no, but it looks pretty damn good from what they evidently had to work with - retrofit installs are often a matter of compromise of one sort or another. I would have liked to see some "before" pictures in the slideshow.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis