KRK Rokit Powered 6/10s Speaker System Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
While KRK may not be a well known name in the world of home theater, they do have a reputation in the studio market. One of the dangers of getting involved in home theater and high fidelity is that you become incapable (or at least unwilling) to tolerate poor sound - even in your office. Overall, I was extremely impressed with the overall performance of the KRK Systems Rokit 6's. Unfortunately, I wasn't as impressed with the system as a whole.

Discuss "KRK Rokit Powered 6/10s Speaker System Review" here. Read the article.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
While KRK may not be a well known name in the world of home theater, they do have a reputation in the studio market. One of the dangers of getting involved in home theater and high fidelity is that you become incapable (or at least unwilling) to tolerate poor sound - even in your office. Overall, I was extremely impressed with the overall performance of the KRK Systems Rokit 6's. Unfortunately, I wasn't as impressed with the system as a whole.

Discuss "KRK Rokit Powered 6/10s Speaker System Review" here. Read the article.
Are there supposed to be actual pages to the review? They are missing.

As for the price/value; it seems price has increased quite a bit. You used to be able to buy the ROKIT 5 pair for about $300-$400(the PAIR). Measured performance was absolutely superb for the price - even if they were passive - and these are active! I have not measured/analyzed the new generation II, but I hope they are nearly as good. All too often, 'new' versions are reduced in actual quality/performance in order to save production costs.

Here is the complete analysis of the Rokit 5 Generation I: http://www.linaeum.com/productinfo/other/krk_rokit5/

-Chris

B

biz97

Junior Audioholic
I think the actual prices haven't changed much. MSRP might be higher but the G2 5's can be had for around 300 /pr.

M

mudrummer99

Senior Audioholic
Pricing in this review is inaccurate, the Rokit 6 g2s MAP for $199/each, $399/pair. I love these speakers, I'm actually listening to the Rokit 8's as I type this. There are few better values for near-field listening that I have heard.

Mike

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
No grills on the monitors and 'large sub' are cons?

%99 of studio monitors don't have grills. Unless one of the features of the sub is "Small form factor" I can't see 'large sub' as being a con.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Are there supposed to be actual pages to the review? They are missing.

As for the price/value; it seems price has increased quite a bit. You used to be able to buy the ROKIT 5 pair for about $300-$400(the PAIR). Measured performance was absolutely superb for the price - even if they were passive - and these are active! I have not measured/analyzed the new generation II, but I hope they are nearly as good. All too often, 'new' versions are reduced in actual quality/performance in order to save production costs.

Here is the complete analysis of the Rokit 5 Generation I: http://www.linaeum.com/productinfo/other/krk_rokit5/

-Chris
The off axis response is very impressive. I don't see that kind of off axis response all too often. These may be good for a home theater with wide seating. Or even for parties as you will get more music coverage.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
It's very clear that the KRK Rokit speakers are marketed as "nearfield" speakers, but I am very curious to know how they would perform in the midfield (1-3m). Obviously, the built-in amp will limit maximum output, so the farther away you sit, the lower in dB the maximum undistorted output will be, but I'm more interested in the sound quality at that farther seating distance.

Can a "nearfield" speaker sound equally good if you are sitting in the "midfield"? Can there be anything specific about the design of the speaker that would make them good when you are 1m or closer, but somehow make them bad (or at least, less good) when you are farther away?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Can a "nearfield" speaker sound equally good if you are sitting in the "midfield"? Can there be anything specific about the design of the speaker that would make them good when you are 1m or closer, but somehow make them bad (or at least, less good) when you are farther away?
Yes good nearfield monitors are deliberately designed for that purpose. They usually taper off the highs a bit so they aren't overbearing. The crossover is usually tweaked per this type of application.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Gene - thank you very much for your reply! That is the first time I've had someone give a very clear, understandable and plausible reason as to WHY a nearfield monitor would not sound as accurate when sitting farther away from it.

Without taking up too much of your time, could you elaborate just a little bit on what sort of differences are made in the cross-over? Rolling off the highs and altering the bass output a little bit - those things I totally understand, but I do not have a really good grasp on what the cross-over would be doing to alter the sound at various distances.

Last question - If I were to take a "Studio Monitor" (as in, a speaker made and marketed as "professional" rather than "consumer") that specifically says it is for "midfield" listening (I've seen this classification on speakers from brands such as Focal, Genelec, JBL Pro, etc. If it is specifically marked as a "midfield" 1-3m speaker and I use it in my home theater at that distance, is there any reason to expect that it would not sound accurate, good and essentially very close to the way it would sound in a professional recording studio with a midfield mixing position?

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
The KRK, at least the Gen 1, was equally suited to near or mid or far field applications. Off axis response was very good and there was a treble shelving function switch with 3 relative levels. Refer to the measurement sets I provided in my first post in this thread.

-Chris

R

retrace4nothing

Audiophyte
Duh

Why would a home theater type person be using studio monitors or even expect them to perform for this type of duty?

These monitors are designed for an entirely different purpose.

You are reviewing them using music that is already mixed down, processed and designed to be listened through a typical 'colored' home system.

Ridiculous.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Why would a home theater type person be using studio monitors or even expect them to perform for this type of duty?

You are reviewing them using music that is already mixed down, processed and designed to be listened through a typical 'colored' home system.

Ridiculous.
who said we were all home theater type persons?

we are audioholics. i have an HT setup, bedroom setup, exercise setup, PC setup and a living room setup.

guess where i would use something like the KRK speakers? Duh

what music would you like them to review with?

crazy.

G

griffinconst

Senior Audioholic

Ridiculous.
First post huh?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis