Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Last year we reviewed the Oppo DV-983H universal DVD player which, while a couple years too late to market, was still an impressive product that redefined the price points for universal players. Now, with the only other universal Blu-ray/DVD player coming in at almost 10x the price, Oppo has finally beat the market and brings a true universal disc player to the home theater market that not only plays Blu-ray discs, but also DVD-Audio, SACD and, of course, DVD videos and CDs.

Discuss "Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player Review" here. Read the article.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Thanks for the review Clint. I really like the player. Of course I have come from one of the slowest (Samsung 1400) so this player seems lightning quick to me. Oppo has a real winner with this player.:D

sleepysurf

sleepysurf

Junior Audioholic
Nice review! A couple points to add (for those of us with an audiophile slant :D)...
-The BDP-83 actually uses different DAC's for two-channel Cirrus CS4398 vs. multi-channel Cirrus CS4382A analog output. The two-channel DAC is the higher quality chip, and compares favorably to my Benchmark DAC-1 for Redbook CD playback (with the Benchmark yielding a tad cleaner bass and overall detail).
-Oppo also (smartly, as in the 980H model) includes a "pure audio" option (via the remote), which turns off all extraneous video circuitry to minimize noise during pure stereo playback.

IMHO, this Universal player truly meets the needs for both the high-end video and audio setups. Given Oppo's reputation of stellar customer support, I'm sure they will continue addressing the few glitches, and optimizing performance further, with subsequent firmware releases.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Smackrabbit

Enthusiast
A couple of questions, from someone that also has a BDP-83 sitting in their AV rack right now:

- What version of Firmware were you using for the testing? As I've had two firmware updates pushed out in the past week, I'm wondering if the HQV numbers might be improved by the time the firmware is final.
- Do you plan to go back and update this review after the final firmware, if it changes any of the issues mentioned in the review?

I haven't tested Multi-channel SACD via DSD yet, but I will go test that today and mention if I have issues in my system (feeding a Marantz AV8003 preamp).

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
The only thing that I didn't see mentioned is the DVD function region free? The reason that I bring it up is there is quite a bit of DVD concert content out there in region 2 PAL that isn't available in NTSC Region 1. Two of my conventional DVD players are region free and PAL/NTSC agnostic.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Just a quick correction that ought to be made: The 80GB PS3 is $399 these days. The 160GB model is $499 ;)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
The only thing that I didn't see mentioned is the DVD function region free? The reason that I bring it up is there is quite a bit of DVD concert content out there in region 2 PAL that isn't available in NTSC Region 1. Two of my conventional DVD players are region free and PAL/NTSC agnostic.
No, Region 1 only but as I recall there are hacks.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No, Region 1 only but as I recall there are hacks.
All of their previous players had the ability to be hacked to all regions, though I have not seen it yet for this one. I'd suspect it can be done as well, or will be by the time the player is finalized.

F

fitzcaraldo215

Enthusiast
SACD via HDMI/DSD

Nice review. I have had the BDP-83 hooked to my Integra DTC 9.8 for several weeks and DSD via HDMI works. I have no idea why it did not work into the Denon AVR used for the test. According to the AVS Forum, users of other Denon AVR's have also gotten it to work.

One slight issue: there is an occasional, intermittent slight soft "popping" noise using DSD or PCM via HDMI. Some using analog connections have also reported it at AVS. Given Oppo's excellent tech support track record, I expect this to be corrected in a future firmware release. It does not deter me from using it. In fact, I prefer it sonically to my Oppo 980 for SACD.

S

Smackrabbit

Enthusiast
I also tested multi-channel DSD to my Marantz AV8003 this afternoon and it worked perfectly. I did run into that soft-popping sound when playing a CD (over HDMI), but not when playing an SACD (Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks). Hopefully this is fixed soon as well.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
I also tested multi-channel DSD to my Marantz AV8003 this afternoon and it worked perfectly. I did run into that soft-popping sound when playing a CD (over HDMI), but not when playing an SACD (Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks). Hopefully this is fixed soon as well.
I believe there is a setting some say avoids that popping sound, but of course I don't remember what it is. It may be turning off a function you don't use on the player.
Might do a search on avs forum on the '83 topic under 'popping' etc.

N

ned

Full Audioholic
All of their previous players had the ability to be hacked to all regions, though I have not seen it yet for this one. I'd suspect it can be done as well, or will be by the time the player is finalized.
Being a blu ray player it would be difficult to hack this player.

Multichannel DSD works well for me too using the latest firmware .

It's not in beta anymore as it is available for anyone in their website.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Being a blu ray player it would be difficult to hack this player.

Multichannel DSD works well for me too using the latest firmware .
For DVD, not for Blu. These aren't technically hacks, the capability is built into the firmware; users are just finding out the codes to access it. I don't know if this player has this or not, but IF it does, I doubt we would see the info prior to it being finalized.

larry2456

Audiophyte
I have a Denon 4308, which is similar in some ways to the 5308 used in the review. I also had issues playing multi-channel through DSD but there is a workaround. When the unit fails to produce multi-channel DSD and instead outputs only stereo, go into Oppo's setup and change the SACD output to PCM, wait momentarily for it to take affect, then change the setting back to DSD. The SACD will start the track from the beginning and produce multi-channel DSD in all it's sonic glory. I'm trusting Oppo will correct the need to use this work-around in a future firmware.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the review Clint.

Once my Yamaha U-player dies I may take a second look at replacing it and the Panny 35 BD player with this one.

My personal pipe dream is a Universal 5 or 6 disc BD changer.

Call me crazy.:)

N

ned

Full Audioholic
For DVD, not for Blu. These aren't technically hacks, the capability is built into the firmware; users are just finding out the codes to access it. I don't know if this player has this or not, but IF it does, I doubt we would see the info prior to it being finalized.
It's a blu ray player and has to comply with region coding and applies to DVD playback as well.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
More info on Dacs by Cirrus Logic.

Nice review! A couple points to add (for those of us with an audiophile slant :D)...
-The BDP-83 actually uses different DAC's for two-channel Cirrus CS4398 vs. multi-channel Cirrus CS4382A analog output. The two-channel DAC is the higher quality chip, and compares favorably to my Benchmark DAC-1 for Redbook CD playback (with the Benchmark yielding a tad cleaner bass and overall detail).
-Oppo also (smartly, as in the 980H model) includes a "pure audio" option (via the remote), which turns off all extraneous video circuitry to minimize noise during pure stereo playback.

IMHO, this Universal player truly meets the needs for both the high-end video and audio setups. Given Oppo's reputation of stellar customer support, I'm sure they will continue addressing the few glitches, and optimizing performance further, with subsequent firmware releases.
Thanks sleepysurf for the information on the Dacs.

To add further to this, the Cirrus Logic Crystal Dac, the CS4398 (2-channel stereo Dac in one chip), is the exact same Dac used in the Onkyo TX-SR806 and the Integra DTR-7.9 A/V receivers (the 806 and the 7.9 have 4 or 5 of these dual Dacs for all 8 channels).

And the Cirrus Logic Crystal CS4382A Dac (8-channel Dac in one chip) is used in the Marantz AV8003 Surround Processor, as well in the Marantz SR8002 and SR7002 A/V receivers.

These are some of the best Dacs made by Cirrus Logic.

* And finally, to add a comment to the review by Clint, I would have like a deeper analysis into SACD (DSD bitstream), DVD-Audio handling of the various resolutions, and HDCD outputs through Analog (RCA jacks) and Digital (HDMI, Coaxial & Optical outs, through an A/V receiver with HDCD decoder, like some Denon and Marantz models).

But in the end, I do agree that this is a very nice Blu-Ray Universal player. Perhaps not fully "cooked" just yet...

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
It's a blu ray player and has to comply with region coding and applies to DVD playback as well.
This is true, and probably why you will see many other hacks and mods to the player available before not too long, but altering the region code will be on a back burner. Although, I have no doubt someone will try it.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Clint, I read your table, are you sure that the PS3 (all models) has no SACD? Moreover, I would add multi-channel analog outputs in addition to bitstream and HDMI for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA for the Oppo.

Thanks for the review. Hopefully future versions of the Oppo might add Netflix streaming, YouTube, Hulu and HD DVD (Yeah, right!) support.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Clint, I read your table, are you sure that the PS3 (all models) has no SACD? Moreover, I would add multi-channel analog outputs in addition to bitstream and HDMI for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA for the Oppo.
For the PS3, the 60G has SACD for sure. I do believe the second generation 80G did as well, though not sure about the 40G. Not sure about the current models (80G and 160G). So that would mean if current models don't have it, then that would be a true statement, but not all models historically.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis