Aragon and Acurus Sold to Indy Audio Labs

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Anyone who has followed the world of high-end home theater may recall the Klipsch-Aragon debacle that resulted in Klipsch buying out, and completely abandoning, the Aragon brand 8 years ago. This occurred when Klipsch purchased selected assets of the privately held Mondial Designs Ltd. in 2001, acquiring the Aragon and Acurus brands of high-end amplifiers, preamplifiers and processors. Now, predictably, the leading global manufacturer of loudspeakers is selling the rights to these electronics brands. What wasn't predicted is that they would sell them to two former Klipsch employees.

Discuss "Aragon and Acurus Sold to Indy Audio Labs" here. Read the article.

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
"one of the poorest (though perhaps not as costly) business decisions we've seen in years."

So the idea of this purchase was right up there with the folks that gave us sub-prime mortgages? "Perhaps" it was less costly? Mike Klipsch is on a par with Bernie Madoff?

I'd rather see more love for Rick Santiago and Ted Moore's current venture, and less hate for Klipsch's 8 year old purchase. I'd like to know more about the new business. Their concept of "providing the A/V realism and operational simplicity" sounds to me like something that could go far.

It's nice that Klipsch has continued to honor warranties on a line that I guess they've lost money on, but the really great story is that Rick & Ted are making an investment in this industry. I wish them much success.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Klipsch has a reputation for buying brands and discontinuing them.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, man. I was in love with Acurus and Aragon back in the days.

I really hope they do extremely well!:D

I love it!!!:D

I see myself changing my name from AcuDefTechGuy to AraDefTechGuy.:D

Last edited:
davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
"............operational simplicity........." I would like to see that. I have no use for products with fifty different menus and gizmos that I have no desire to waste time learning to use. My first pre pro was an Audio Refinement. I've also used a first generation Lexicon. They both shared the same, simple approach to being user friendly. Less is more in my opinion.

D

DaveHo

Audioholic
It would be nice to see those brands revived. I had an Acurus A200x3 in the past & now have an Aragon 8008x3. Never a lick of trouble with either, but I never had much faith in Klipsch being able to service them if they needed it. The Aragon is about 10 years old at this point. Wonder what they would charge for a check-up?

-Dave

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I used to own 4 Acurus 200X3 amps. I was quite happy with them until someone on this forum said that these amps did not have the speaker-protection circuits that are found on the newer amps and receivers.

So I sold all 4 of them.:eek:

I would love to get some new generation Aragon amps and pre-pros, but I'm going to need some assurance that these new amps will have bullet-proof speaker-protection circuits!:D

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I used to own 4 Acurus 200X3 amps. I was quite happy with them until someone on this forum said that these amps did not have the speaker-protection circuits that are found on the newer amps and receivers. So I sold all 4 of them.:eek:
Yeah, I sold two of the same for the same reason! But it was also because I realized what a noob I was "biamping" my mains with those two amps.....

I did like the simple approach to home theatre. It seems to have disappeared from the industry. "Feature rich" seems to rule the day.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I sold two of the same for the same reason! But it was also because I realized what a noob I was "biamping" my mains with those two amps.....

I did like the simple approach to home theatre. It seems to have disappeared from the industry. "Feature rich" seems to rule the day.
I recall reading some lab measurements from 3rd party on the Acurus 200X3 and R10 preamp.

The 200X3 had phenominal measurements. The theme I kept on seeing was "12 times better". What's that one word that means this?:D

Anyway, I read the review on the R10 in The Audio Critic, and they mentioned this same theme - "12 times better", "military-grade quality", "will last 20 years", "better measurements than Krell", etc.

You gotta love a preamp that cost $700 (R10) and measured better than a $4K Krell preamp!

Same thing with the 200X3, which cost around $1K, but measured "12 times better" than many $3K amps.

luisev

luisev

Audioholic Intern
I've sent them an email, so I hope I hear back from them soon.

Has anyone heard any updates? I'm asking as I am the original owner of two Acurus amps, 200x3 and a250, and have enjoyed them for close to 13 years now and need an additional amp. I'm looking to switch from 5.1 to 7.1, so I need two additional channels and would prefer to stay with the same manufacture line. I know I can probably get a used Acurus amp off of eBay or Audiogon, but I'm curious as to what Indy has in mind for the product lines... If anyone knows anything please let me know...

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Aragon, Acurus & Audio Labs? Or?

I've sent them an email, so I hope I hear back from them soon.
Hi luisev,

If and when you hear from them, I'd love to hear back from you. Would you please?
Ask them to send you their last brochure on their products.

* Sorry man that I cannot help you with their latest amp's information.

Cheers,
Bob

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis