Denon New Blu-ray Offerings Almost Affordable

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Denon surprised us this week by releasing two new Blu-ray players. It wasn't so surprising that they had new offerings - just that they were almost value conscience, something Denon Blu-ray players have long been lacking. The BD-Live (Profile 2.0) $500 DBP-1610 and $700 DBP-2010CI sound downright bargain basement compared to the flagship universal $4500 DVD-A1HDCI.

Discuss "Denon New Blu-ray Offerings Almost Affordable" here. Read the article.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Not that I dislike Denon as a brand in the least, but once we've got the Oppo BDP-83? We're done. It's over. That's the most we would ever have to pay for a highest-of-the-high-end Blu-ray player.

Oh sure, there will still be those who swear by the non-existant advantage of $2000+ players - but those people are idiots with more money than sense and a need to justify their stupidly wasteful spending. Most of those sales come via custom installers who know that their clients are rich, but clueless about electronics and all they have to do is say, "well you want 'the best', don't you? Why would you buy some cheap $500 player from a brand you've never heard of when there is this $2000 player? It's a $2000 player! So you KNOW it's better." Just like how $4000/foot speaker wire is better too, right? :p

Gotta love Oppo though. Man, if only they had somehow snuck HD-DVD playback into that BDP-83 as well! I could have eliminated every black box except my DVR and videogame systems!

C

ChunkyDark

Full Audioholic
We need Denon around to make us feel smug about our Oppos :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
"Almost" being the key word here...because I don't see those competing with the lower priced players. Those are MSRP prices, so street price should be lower after a while, certainly by the holidays.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Oh sure, there will still be those who swear by the non-existant advantage of $2000+ players - but those people are idiots with more money than sense and a need to justify their stupidly wasteful spending. Most of those sales come via custom installers who know that their clients are rich, but clueless about electronics and all they have to do is say, "well you want 'the best', don't you? Why would you buy some cheap $500 player from a brand you've never heard of when there is this $2000 player? It's a $2000 player! So you KNOW it's better." Just like how $4000/foot speaker wire is better too, right?
I wouldn't be to sure about these statements. Comparing speaker cables to complex electronics doesn't even qualify as an apples to orange comparison. The same was said about CD players many years ago but the advantages of better CD players is quite apparant with carefully setup listening tests not to mention easily measurable as well.

Now that everything is being transmitted digitally, this may level the playing field a bit but HDMI transmisison thru products is NOT flawless. I have a brand new $40k HDMI Audio Analyzer at my disposal now and you can be assured I will be comparing the $4k Denon to the $500 Oppo blu ray player to determine if there are in fact differences that are measurable.

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
I have a brand new $40k HDMI Audio Analyzer at my disposal now and you can be assured I will be comparing the $4k Denon to the $500 Oppo blu ray player to determine if there are in fact differences that are measurable.
I would like to see a pic of this $40k analyzer.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I would like to see a pic of this $40k analyzer.
Goto AP.com and look up their APx585. That is what I have and thats how Audioholics' roll :D

ricks778

ricks778

Audiophyte
That is one test I would like to know the results of. I would also like to see a test of sound quality comparing the $4000 Denon to the $500 dvd players.

I wouldn't be to sure about these statements. Comparing speaker cables to complex electronics doesn't even qualify as an apples to orange comparison. The same was said about CD players many years ago but the advantages of better CD players is quite apparant with carefully setup listening tests not to mention easily measurable as well.

Now that everything is being transmitted digitally, this may level the playing field a bit but HDMI transmisison thru products is NOT flawless. I have a brand new $40k HDMI Audio Analyzer at my disposal now and you can be assured I will be comparing the $4k Denon to the $500 Oppo blu ray player to determine if there are in fact differences that are measurable.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
I have a brand new $40k HDMI Audio Analyzer at my disposal now and you can be assured I will be comparing the $4k Denon to the $500 Oppo blu ray player to determine if there are in fact differences that are measurable.
Would like to see either of the new Denons in the mix as well. And a Panny. And a Sony.:p;):p

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
$20,000,000.00 Universal Blu-Ray player for only $248!

Ok, the Oppo BDP-83 is $499.

Now, you can buy a Universal DVD player (Pioneer) for only $99.
Add a Sammy BD-P2550 for $149, with HQV Reon video processor.
Your new grand total now, $248, half price of the Oppo. :)

* Add an HD-DVD player (Tosh HD-A2) for another $49 extra, grand total: $297. Now we are fully totally universally implemented and integrated. :D

** Why not, not enough connectors behind the Denon AVR-5308ci or the Yammy RX-Z11? :eek:

electric turd

Audiophyte
Ok, the Oppo BDP-83 is $499.

Now, you can buy a Universal DVD player (Pioneer) for only $99.
Add a Sammy BD-P2550 for $149, with HQV Reon video processor.
Your new grand total now, $248, half price of the Oppo. :)

* Add an HD-DVD player (Tosh HD-A2) for another $49 extra, grand total: $297. Now we are fully totally universally implemented and integrated. :D

** Why not, not enough connectors behind the Denon AVR-5308ci or the Yammy RX-Z11? :eek:
obviously you have no idea what universal means. You failed to mention anything that plays dvd audio or super audio cd. Nice try though LOL

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Actually, I owned a Pioneer universal player (588a) years ago, and it played both SACD and DVD-A. Granted, its audio quality was mediocre, but it still played them.

cheers,
supervij

electric turd

Audiophyte
im not doubting that there are players that play those formats. Im saying that you cant really get dvd audio and sacd for $100 to my knowledge. I may be wrong though

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
The Pioneer 588a, which does play both SACD and DVD-A, was $150 CDN when I bought it (2003? 2004? something like that), and retailed in American stores for $100 US. I'm sure if you can find this player at all, it's gone down in price by quite a lot.

cheers,
supervij

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Oups! For your personal information.

im not doubting that there are players that play those formats. Im saying that you cant really get dvd audio and sacd for $100 to my knowledge. I may be wrong though
Well, for your information, my Pioneer DV-563a Universal DVD player cost me only $99, and it plays multichannel SACDs and DVD-Audios quite well, thank you very much! :)
And some people paid as low as $49 for it.
Also the DV-578 and the DV-588 were also as low as $98. And you can buy them online for much less now.

And the Pioneer Elite DV-48a and the DV-58a, could be had for just a bit more.
The DV-48 for example was selling for only $149 at one point, and you might find it for less online.
Plus, these last two Elite Universal players, are comparable to players that cost way more. Their audio quality are high end sounding here.
If you don't believe me, just Google them., and check for reviews, it will blow your brains out. :D

I will not post statements like these if it was not true, that's not like me.
So, my original post still stand very strongly.
You just have to be informed well, and know how to play your cards right. :)

The Oppo BDP-83 is a very nice player, but you can equal it or surpass it with the right combination, and for less money too.
I can keep on with so many other excellent products now (year 2009), from separate Dacs that cost very little ($299 or even less), and have a high end sound comparable to players costing in the thousand of dollars just a few years ago, to some other DVD Universal players when add to a Samsung BD-UP 5000 will cost you less than the Oppo and be very close to it's overall performance, and even eclipse it in some categories.

The Oppo BDP-83 is a special product for a niche market, but it is not the absolute best by any large margin. The thing is that it's price is fixed.
And nowadays, you can get great deals on other products that are close as good for less. It's not another HDMI cable and another couple of inches that are going to make a big difference in your rack.

For what it's worth,...

Bob

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Hmm... I guess that you're the type of person that needs coaching.

obviously you have no idea what universal means. You failed to mention anything that plays dvd audio or super audio cd. Nice try though LOL
I clearly indicated "A Universal DVD player". In our Audio/Video jargon terms, it means that it plays multichannel SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD, CD and usually a bunch of other formats too.

If I wanted to say just a DVD player, I would have say so.

If I wanted to say a DVD/SACD 2-channel player, I would have say so.

If I wanted to say a DVD/SACD multichannel player, I would have say so.

And if I wanted to say a DVD/DVD-A Universal/SACD 2-channel player, I would have made it clear.

No, you have to play with words, and make life complicated, when right from the bat, you knew exactly well what I meant, and you were smart enough to figure that out. But no, you had to play your small little game... ;)

So, here you go now, that should be clear enough for you. :D
(Just a little bit of waisting time, right?) :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis