HDMI 1.4 Spec Coming Soon

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
HDMI 1.3 not interesting enough for you? Welcome to the wonderful world of 1.4. While it hasn't hit shelves yet, apparently it will soon. According to a press release at HDMI, the new spec will include consolidation of HD video, HD audio and now high speed data with the addition of Ethernet in the HDMI cable, elimination of a S/PDIF cable by allowing a TV to send audio streams upstream to an A/V receiver for processing and playback over the HDMI cable, and 4kx2k and 3D high performance features.

Discuss "HDMI 1.4 Spec Coming Soon" here. Read the article.

C

ChunkyDark

Full Audioholic
"Smaller connector - New smaller 19-pin connector"

So now the manufacturers will have to make gear with 1.3 AND 1.4 style connectors??? Guess I'll hold off ranting until there is some sort of confirmation.
Two way communication is cool though.

Mike19

Mike19

Junior Audioholic
I'm going to commit suicide if 1.4 requires new connectors w/ no adaptor for a 1.3 connection.:eek:

Mike

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Why couldn't they have integrated all that with the 1.3 spec. Now that I have upgraded all my equipment recently, I'm not looking to upgrade again for quite some time, but I'm sure when I am ready, there will be HDMI 1.12 or even a completely different type of connector altogether.

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
As long as they made HDMI 1.4 more stable in terms of connection, I welcome the change. Syncing should be instantaneous at this point.

Also, a connector to make it backwards compatible with existing HDMI is I'm sure is coming.

We'll see when pics arrive.

C

ChunkyDark

Full Audioholic
It's not like that. The smaller connectors are for new applications. They won't migrate to televisions.
Thanks for the clarification.

But, if I read that right, it means they're bringing (or have the potential to bring) HDCP to mobile devices then? Can't have people stealing copy protected material and watching on 2 inch screens :eek:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Conspiracy Theorey # 100005

HDMI committe in bed with vendors to suck more cash from consumers. Will it ever stop? Highly unlikely!!! :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Who cares about HDMI 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.9, 2.0?

You know they will never stop because they want to make more money.

Just like they won't stop at 1080p.

Soon it will be 4K Resolution and HDMI 4.0. Then it will be WORTH the upgrade.:D

F

fredk

Audioholic General
It's not like that. The smaller connectors are for new applications. They won't migrate to televisions.
What about the upstream audio connection for your tv thingy?

I'm still waiting for a $100 player - that works. Until that comes along, who cares.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I swear, if it wasn't for the stupid HDCP, I would stick with Component and Multi-Analog Audio.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Audio Return Channel - Elimination of a S/PDIF cable by allowing a TV to send audio streams upstream to an A/V receiver for processing and playback over the HDMI cable
I love this, it's like stealing ideas from a baby.:D

Firewire has already done a lot of this stuff. Why HDMI didn't have all of this from the get is beyond comprehension (oh wait, moe muhnee!):D

s162216

s162216

Full Audioholic
I would likely upgrade to HDMI, if there was not that stupid HDCP. It would be nice if we could play what WE HAVE BROUGHT how we like.
All this new version is going to do is get released, and then a year later its going to be announced that 1.3 is being discontinued and uncompatiable, so that you have to buy all the TV, bluray etc again if you want anything new.

All they are doing is just milking us of more money, nothings wrong with 1.3 from what I can see.

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
Wont spend a dime...

on upgrade for cables....I wish they would spend their R & D money on wireless tech...would upgrade to eliminate cables completely..

1990Viper

Enthusiast
From ZDnet.com

Many TVs still don’t support HDMI 1.3, which offers Deep Color and xvYCC support, but details about its upcoming successor, version 1.4, have leaked out. The specs include a couple of interesting new features, most notably an HDMI Ethernet Channel (HEC) that allows devices using the cable (like an HDTV and an Xbox 360) to share a 100Mbps network connection. Also intriguing is the spec’s support for emerging video formats like 4k (4,096×2,160-pixel resolution, or roughly double that of 1080p) as well as 3D standards.

While those are promising developments, the rub is that the HDMI 1.4 spec supports two different types of data cables: a high-bandwidth version and a lower-bandwidth one. Considering there are plenty of people who still don’t realize they need to order high-definition programming from their cable providers before they can start seeing shows in HD, having two versions of the same cable is sure to cause all kinds of confusion and plenty of GeekSquad calls. (Not to mention that the low-data version probably won’t support those exciting new features mentioned above.) There should be some time to sort it out, however, as the first HDMI 1.4 devices aren’t expected until 2010.

Patrick_Wolf

Patrick_Wolf

Audioholic
HDMI.org

Nothing is official according to this blurb at HDMI.org. Nothing to get nuts about anyway; Even if the new connector isn't backwards compatible with the previous one, the core technology most likely will be and a simple 1.x > 1.4 adapter will be needed for future 1.4 compliant products.

It has come to our attention that several news agencies have published information about the release of the next HDMI specification called 1.4. The release of information referring to the HDMI 1.4 specification has not been authorized by the HDMI Founders. Nor does HDMI Licensing, LLC confirm the accuracy of any of the information that has been posted online. In January of 2009, HDMI Licensing, LLC published a press release that provided a preview of the features for the next version of the HDMI specification. Please click here to view this press release.

Patrick_Wolf

Patrick_Wolf

Audioholic
Join The Resistance.

Anyone want to update this thread since the speec is out?;)
What for? It's coming... and there's nothing we can do to stop it. This is the beginning of the end, but there is hope... we must do something! We must stop Judgement Day. All of mankind is threatened by this one thing... this... cable. On Dec. 21, 2012 HDMI will become self-aware, targeting consumers...

Oh, sorry. :p

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Some good things like ethernet over hdmi hint hint , more than 1 connecter size hint hint.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis