Spears Munsil High Definition Blu-ray Benchmark

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Stacey Spears and Don Munsil, acclaimed creators of the DVD Player Benchmark and Progressive Scan Shootout at Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, announce the release of the Spears & Munsil High Definition Benchmark, Blu-ray Edition. This disc is filled with test material and calibration patterns to help home theater enthusiasts evaluate displays and players and adjust their home theater systems to get the best possible picture.

Discuss "Spears Munsil High Definition Blu-ray Benchmark" here. Read the article.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
. . . and on the date of March 23, the year 2009, at 17:46 PST on a pleasant Monday afternoon, did jostenmeat choose not to be outdone by an unsuspecting mperfct, and ordered himself a Spears Munsil High Definition Blu-ray Benchmark . . .

Last edited:
N

ned

Full Audioholic
It would be great if this is integrated with Calman.

mperfct

mperfct

Audioholic Samurai
. . . and on the date of March 23, the year 2009, at 17:46 PST on a pleasant Monday afternoon, did jostenmeat choose not to be outdone by an unsuspecting mperfct, and ordered himself a Spears Munsil High Definition Blu-ray Benchmark . . .
Notice that our posts are separated by 42 minutes, which is significant, of course, by the number 42 and it being the answer to the life, the universe, and everything.

Let it be known heretofore that I have therefore smitten thee, Jostenmeat, with the great sword of Amazon.

I

IndoSlim

Audioholic Intern
Sorry for the noob question....

But how exactly do I use this? Do I need extra equipment, or do I just get the Blu Ray and watch it and do my own settings?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
But how exactly do I use this? Do I need extra equipment, or do I just get the Blu Ray and watch it and do my own settings?
I wish I knew. :eek::eek:

The tests look really cool!

I have no idea what to do with them!

Methinks I need a nice video processor to even begin. Most likely some training as well. Oops.

mperfct, do you have an idea on how you're going to implement these tests?

I seriously just bought it on a whim with barely any research for two reasons. Because mperfct did, and because Oppo sells them (which led me to believe it must be a good disc. Problem is that it's wasted on me. :()

mperfct

mperfct

Audioholic Samurai
I wish I knew. :eek::eek:

The tests look really cool!

I have no idea what to do with them!

Methinks I need a nice video processor to even begin. Most likely some training as well. Oops.

mperfct, do you have an idea on how you're going to implement these tests?

I seriously just bought it on a whim with barely any research for two reasons. Because mperfct did, and because Oppo sells them (which led me to believe it must be a good disc. Problem is that it's wasted on me. :()
I just got it yesterday. There is a large set of instructions that comes with the disc that tells you how to use it, which is nice. I expected to get a color filter to help set tint/color, but nay. Maybe this disc doesn't do that.

I have the HQV blu-ray disc too, and only played around with that for 15 minutes or so.

KU plays tonight, so I probably won't mess with it until tomorrow, or Sunday at some point. Busy weekend.

mperfct

mperfct

Audioholic Samurai
Does anybody want me to look for something specific on the disc or just a general user report?

And J, I'm glad I could lure you down to the dark side. We have all the fun.

S

Stacey Spears

Enthusiast
I will do my best to help answer your questions.

First up, the blue filter. To adjust color and tint, you do this by looking at a blue-only image. This can be done using a filter or by a blue-only mode in the display. Right now we do not include a filter with the disc because we are trying to find filters that work well across all display devices. Some may work well on one type of display, but not another.

Along with the booklet, we also include pop-up help while you are viewing a pattern. At anytime, you can press the up arrow to display help and the down arrow to hide it. For every clip we provide two images, a good and bad example of what to look for. You can also use the left and right arrows to go to the previous or next pattern. The goal was to use the disc without repositioning your hand on the remote.

We also included a hidden title, 127, with SD static test patterns.

I will try and look at this thread at least once a day to answer any questions you may have.

S

Stacey Spears

Enthusiast
The montage was shot with the RED ONE camera at 4096x2048. It is available with PCM, TrueHD and DTS-HD MA audio.

I encoded TrueHD with DialNorm set to -31 instead of -27. This results in matched levels between all three. I believe it to be the first apples-to-apples comparison.

The audio is 16/48. I had 24/48, but I could not mux because I used all the available video bitrate. My goal was to get the video bitrate as high as possible. The PS3 will show peaks as high as 50 Mbps for video thanks to the VBV buffer. The biggest video peaks occur during cross-fades.

F

fast1

Audioholic
Notice that our posts are separated by 42 minutes, which is significant, of course, by the number 42 and it being the answer to the life, the universe, and everything.

Let it be known heretofore that I have therefore smitten thee, Jostenmeat, with the great sword of Amazon.
i don't get it, why is 42 the answer to everything? did you buy it from amazon?

Last edited:
S

Stacey Spears

Enthusiast
I don't have enough posts yet to provide a link, but if you head on over to www.spearsandmunsil.com website, we have published the first article on using our disc.

We have also published a short article on using our new blue filter. The filters should be ready soon and will be sent to everyone who has already ordered a disc. We are also producing a small run of red and green filters that will be available for sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General

I was thinking of that episode from "The Unusuals" :D
42... damn reoccurring theme

majorloser

majorloser

I don't have enough posts yet to provide a link, but if you head on over to www.spearsandmunsil.com website, we have published the first article on using our disc.

We have also published a short article on using our new blue filter. The filters should be ready soon and will be sent to everyone who has already ordered a disc. We are also producing a small run of red and green filters that will be available for sale.
THANKS!

Hopefully I'll receive my copy in the next few days with the OPPO Blu-ray I ordered.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis