Yamaha RX-V665 Receiver plus Line Upgrades

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
In Yamaha's continuing commitment to making your new receiver obsolete each and every year, they have released updates to their RX-V line lead by the RX-V665. The RX-V663 was the best selling receiver in 2008 and Yamaha wants to build on that success. Included in the new releases are the RX-V765, MSRP: $649.95; RX-V565, MSRP: $479.95; RX-V465, MSRP: $379.95; and RX-V365, MSRP $249.95 The RX-V665 will retail for $549.95.

Discuss "Yamaha RX-V665 Receiver plus Line Upgrades" here. Read the article.

C

chronos56

Audioholic Intern
Think I found a serious limitation

I just finished looking at the manual for the RX-V665 and found what to me is a deal breaker. Digital inputs, optical and coaxial, are permanently tied to video inputs. This means that if you have a digital video input, from say a PC, you cannot get the audio off of either a digital or analog input.

I thought that this type of limitation was eliminated several years ago, guess i was wrong.

Sorry Yamaha, when I upgrade it will be with a receiver that had assignable digital inputs.

The other thing that is really bugging be is that just about every new receiver introduced this year still does not support HD Radio, come on, its being broadcast by a fairly large number of stations, lets take advantage of it.

How about this for a reason, its a conspiracy by the XM/Sirius to keep it away form home audio. :rolleyes:

Chronos56

A

Austin M

Enthusiast
No S-video

Are these receivers also being cleaned-up around back by eliminating the S-video ports? I thought I saw an article about more manufacturers jumping on that band wagon this year. Or was Yamaha already doing this?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
If they really did make the receiver's audio inputs no longer assignable, that would be a huge mistake, but I have a feeling that isn't the case.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I fear Yamaha and Pioneer are releasing a series of lame duck receivers this year. The 659 had a good amp section, the 661 and 663 skimped, and now with the 665, even more. Just looking at the weight, power consumption, and how they're measuring specs. It'll be interesting what others come out with.

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
I fear Yamaha and Pioneer are releasing a series of lame duck receivers this year. The 659 had a good amp section, the 661 and 663 skimped, and now with the 665, even more. Just looking at the weight, power consumption, and how they're measuring specs. It'll be interesting what others come out with.
QFT and awareness.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
If you want a nice yamaha receiver, it's best to stick to the RX-Vxx00 or RX-Vxx3 line, and not the RX-Vxx5 line.

G

ggunnell

Audioholic
Are these receivers also being cleaned-up around back by eliminating the S-video ports? I thought I saw an article about more manufacturers jumping on that band wagon this year. Or was Yamaha already doing this?
Another proof of Yamaha's recent inept management, IMO -- anyone using S-VHS connectors can cross off Yamaha's xx5 receivers.

A

AVTguy

Audioholic Intern
Denon For me Please...

I'll take the upcoming new Denon AVR-1910 over the Yamaha RX-V665 any day. Same price point, same stated power (90 watts, but its a Denon, so you know...), and it's a DENON.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I'll take the upcoming new Denon AVR-1910 over the Yamaha RX-V665 any day. Same price point, same stated power (90 watts, but its a Denon, so you know...), and it's a DENON.
Do you have a link to the 1910?

H

HTGuy

Audiophyte
Quoting from the article: " One of the biggest cosmetic changes for the new line of Yamaha's is the switch from the amber display color to blue. While we understand that blue is the new pink for audio equipment and is often quoted (somewhat sarcastically I might add) by reviewers as being "soothing," the fact is that the amber was Yamaha's signature. It will be interesting to see how consumers react to this change."

For years I have thought that Yamaha needed to update the displays on their receivers. It wasn't so much the amber color as it was the size of the display. Its always been difficult to read much useful display information from across the room. It looks like they've made some progress with these new models.

H

hubb170

Audiophyte
I'm kinda new to the audiopyle world. Will the 465 be enough of a receiver to push speakers rated at 6 or 4 ohms? If not, what would be a good entry level receiver for the job?

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I'm kinda new to the audiopyle world. Will the 465 be enough of a receiver to push speakers rated at 6 or 4 ohms? If not, what would be a good entry level receiver for the job?
May I ask you what are your speakers (make & model#)?
Or the ones you intend to use?

1. The Yamaha RX-V465 should be use with 8 ohm speakers, 6 ohms minimum,
and certainly not with 4 ohms.

2. Another entry level receiver good with speakers down to 4 ohms?
If you can find it, the Onkyo TX-SR805 (for around $500 on the used market), would be your best candidate.

Last edited:
dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
It might do 6, but I would not use it for 4 ohms.

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
Ditto on what rnatalli said....and it appears calculated...in the past, you had to spend about $450 with Yamaha to escape "entry level"...now they are baiting you near the $1,000 level to get there. I hope everything from the RXv765 on down languishes on store shelves....only way they will change.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
It's about flexibility to some extent, but with that receiver, it would be a necessity for me to ever recommend it.

Here's one example of why: If you have a source with component video and two-channel analog audio (such as a Playstation 2) that you want to decode (e.g. for Pro-Logic), you're boned if you want to run both through the 665. The only video connection that can be coupled with a two-channel audio input (that is processed) is a composite video connection.
I don't really like doing this here (so I'll cross post :)) but I would only want to run HDMI to the rec'r from the cable box, the oppo and I guess from the laptop to use for Netflix. I guess I would need to know how to get that REW business working on it with a sound card and I wonder if I would be able to be as cool as Greg with that whole music server thing.

That's probably kind of a lot to expect for 300 bucks. You'd think I would be smarter about all this with all the time I spend here. I'm already using an external amp for the mains. I don't ever want to have a PS2 or 3. Why should I not get the deal of the week? :confused:

Because I don't want to spend $800 when I don't have a job? Oh, yeah ... :rolleyes:

... but I still want to talk about it 3 times a day for years ... and years ... and years ... etc :p :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'd say if you really want that Oppo and really want that Yamaha, then it's a good deal. Otherwise, I'd pass.

If you're connecting the blu-ray through HDMI, then you don't have any reason to care about the internal DACs. If you were to buy something today, I'd recommend the Panasonic DMP-BD60 for about $120. If you can wait, the players are just going to get faster and cheaper.

Want to send some money back Matt's way? Ask him if he still has his 663 for sale. I think he had it for around $350 shipped, maybe less.

Want SACD and DVD-A over HDMI? I recall a Toshiba that will do it, and you could try to get a hold of an Oppo DV-980H (like I got for $170 new), which might be more difficult because they discontinued them.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Actually the 2 HDMI thing on a 663 is not enough. I'll be needing 3.

For SACD and DVD-A the 6/8 channel in thing is cool. Not sure if you get similar quality through HDMI.

I am figuring out that I want to pull an anti-Phil and enjoy the gear that I have until it rusts. :D

As soon as Obama fixes the economy and sends Buckeye to Guantanamo I'll look into new gear. :D

new mantra: ... "will not spend" ... Clenches @ss cheeks ... "will not spend" ...
wakes up in Arizona ... "will not spend" ... knows mechanical engineering ... "will not spend"
locks keys in car ... "will not spend" ... goes for a long walk ... "will not spend" ... :D

I don't know ... :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You have quite a memory, my man. :)

I can't speak to how well SACD and DVD-A over HDMI compares to those signals over multi-channel analog inputs on some systems, but HDMI is far superior on my Pioneer. Granted, I didn't try the analog inputs on my VSX-23, but it won't apply the MCACC or bass management settings to those inputs (just like my VSX-1015, and I thought the multi-channel inputs on that sounded bad because of it). Heck, I bought my receiver and the Oppo in large part so that I could listen to SACD over HDMI (and finally enjoy your recommendation of Dire Straits).

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
You got the Oppo? I just died a little inside ... envy. :eek:

That's it! I'm getting the $900 one !!! :mad:

... "will not spend" ... I just shrunk a foot ... "will not spend" ... my car really needs an oil change ... "will not spend" ...

Seriously I would love to know that the Oppo SE did sound better but it probably doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis