DALI LEKTOR 8 Floorstanding Speaker Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
DALI may not exactly be a household name in speakers - at least not in America - but they should be. The LEKTOR 8's would be right at home in a medium to large room and present a very easy load to amplifiers. The excellent off axis response makes placement a breeze. The real strength of these speakers is the soundstage. Wider than your room (or so it seems), the DALI Lekors wrap the music around you even in a two channel setup. For the price, the DALI's definitely represent a top tier offering.

Discuss "DALI LEKTOR 8 Floorstanding Speaker Review" here. Read the article.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Wow. I really, really never expected to see Sonic Youth's Sister as test material. Great album though. Terrific review, too.

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
The xover looks disappointing as well as the stamped basket woofers. Even the $150 Berry 2030p's have a better xover and cast baskets.

Just from the look of things, I would not pay $1800 for those.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
If you can swing three floorstanders up front, that might be a good option. You'll have to check with Dali if they even sell them individually (they might not).

That being said, we're doing a shootout of $1500-$2000 floorstanding speakers at the end of the month (look for the article some time in March). I'd wait until then before I made any purchasing decisions in this price range.

One thing to say about DALI - they not only agreed to be in the shootout, they practically insisted on it. That shows me that they believe in their speakers if nothing else. I look forward to seeing how they do.

birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
Great review, Tom. Looking forward to the shootout in a couple of weeks.....

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
Tom,

I placed the question for a third speaker for the center channel with Dali, and here is the answer.

My MESSAGE: Do you sell speakers individually? I need three Lektor 8's (one for center channel too).

Their Answer:

Thank you for your email,
Our stereo speakers such as the LEKTOR 8 is paired - this means that there is a LEFT and RIGHT speaker with the same serial number - so from normal stock it's not possible just to sell one. However if wanted we can when doing next production make a single unit at an adiitional 20% cost.
The MENTOR LCR however is sold seperately and is the "normal" center speaker for the LEKTOR series.

Best regards

DALI A/S

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
Is it the Lektor that will be in the shootout or a different Dali speaker? I would love for you guys to review the Ikon 6's. $1800 is about what I gave for a pair when I bought mine last year.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I would get their center. Makes no sense to get their tower speaker, especially at a cost premium.

D

Drag0nFly

Enthusiast
If you can swing three floorstanders up front, that might be a good option. You'll have to check with Dali if they even sell them individually (they might not).

That being said, we're doing a shootout of $1500-$2000 floorstanding speakers at the end of the month (look for the article some time in March). I'd wait until then before I made any purchasing decisions in this price range.
It would be great if you were able to review the Mentor 8s as well (been waiting quite a while for that actually); but I guess they fall a little out of the $1500-$2000 price range... Dali's been among my favorite speakers for some 15 years, and it would be intriguing to see how they stack up against the mid-to-high-end competition these days.

One thing to say about DALI - they not only agreed to be in the shootout, they practically insisted on it. That shows me that they believe in their speakers if nothing else. I look forward to seeing how they do.
That makes two. ;) Interesting review btw.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
The xover looks disappointing as well as the stamped basket woofers. Even the $150 Berry 2030p's have a better xover and cast baskets.

The 'Ikons' have cast baskets, etc. But there are some great speakers out there with stamped baskets that sound very fine indeed ( KEFs come to mind), as well as mediocre ones with shiny aluminum castings.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
After reading the full review, I do have wonder about using iron core inductors.
But then there are decent speakers using air-core, that are far from high-end.
But I don't know any mid to high-end that would not use air core.
The caps are another thing. Dali typically uses Bennic caps which are considered upgrades, but not really audiophile.
Again, have not heard these for myself, but based on 'hardware' alone consider the Dali Ikon 6 sold for the same price ($1750) I think they are higher now...and has cast baskets, air-core inductors, superior finish from what I can gather, not to mention the ribbon-dome tweeters used by Helicon vs. just the domes in the Lektor...well, I guess times are tough.
For that matter even my OnWalls and center use the same ribbon/dome config.

Last edited:
mistergsf

mistergsf

Junior Audioholic

Hearing is believing and looks can be deceiving! Trust me, I just auditioned these speakers this weekend and was totally blown away I bought them.:)

mistergsf

mistergsf

Junior Audioholic

Hearing is believing and looks can be deceiving. Trust me, I auditioned these speakers and was totally blown away. I own a pair.:)

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis