Budget Bookshelf Speaker Shootout 2009

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Budget bookshelf speakers are a great first step into the world of high fidelity. But which ones to choose? A few of our forum members decided to take on the daunting task of comparing some of the more popular (and available) affordable bookshelf speakers. The list included Yamaha NS-6490, Polk Audio R15, Behringer B2030P, Yamaha NS-333, Aperion Audio Intimus 4B, Infinity Primus P162, EMP EF30, and more! The results may surprise you as spending more money doesn't always equate to better performance.

Discuss "Budget Bookshelf Speaker Shootout 2009" here. Read the article.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
No Cambridge Audio S30s and no very low cost speakers

Interesting article, I wish you had included the Cambridge Audio S30s at $219 per pair. It is an excellent bookshelf speaker!

The Behringer B2030P did well and has been recommended fairly frequently in the audioholic forums.

I hadn't seen anything on the Yamaha speakers previously. H'mm interesting ;)

I think the lowest price speakers was $150/ pair and even that is too expensive for some beginning audiophiles. There are some good speakers for less than $100 per pair, example Sony SSB-3000

However, overall very good article and shoot-out THANKS!

MidCow2

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I am surprised the $150/pr Yamaha's did so well. Those are an old design but I guess an oldie but goodie ;)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I read these reviews and actually root for the speakers that I either own or have chosen for others. I was glad to see the Behringer B2030P's do so well. I will say that Primus 150's might perform better than the 160's in regards to off axis response and the street price on any of the Primus stuff is really low.

That's a fun read for a lot of people. It's great to hear about guys getting together and doing something they like.

Restrain yourself this one time Rick. :D

C

cpa5oh

Audiophyte
This is the second budget shootout in which the Yamaha NS-333 did well.

I don't get it...I have a set with an NS-444 center...and I feel like I get zero mid or low(er) range out of them. I recently bought Energy C-100's and a CC-50 and it's like night and day in the mid and low(er) ranges.

Anybody here have the NS-333/444 and have any thoughts about them?

I may try them again...

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Alex2507;515159 I was glad to see the Behringer B2030P's do so well.. Restrain yourself this one time Rick. :D[/QUOTE said:
I was pleased with their sound and am sure if eq'd right with sub/s most would agree, i just didnt have the time. If got them in place with "touchtunes" setups running with behringer a500's and crown xls202's and sound great paired with svs pc12p's.

not thats there is anything wrong with that:D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I just noticed that Tomorrow got honorable mention in the review for music choice but it just happened to be in the most boring part of the review, right at the bottom of the rules. :)

We don't need no stinkin' rules. :D

E

eddie

Junior Audioholic
How was it that the AV123 ELT 525M's were not included?

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
This is the second budget shootout in which the Yamaha NS-333 did well.

I don't get it...I have a set with an NS-444 center...and I feel like I get zero mid or low(er) range out of them. I recently bought Energy C-100's and a CC-50 and it's like night and day in the mid and low(er) ranges.

Anybody here have the NS-333/444 and have any thoughts about them?

I may try them again...
I have both the 333 and a 444 center. The 444 I no longer use. It was replaced by a Polk center. The 444 never impressed me much. I feel the Polk that replaced it does a much, much better job.

The 333s I purchased for and still use as my surrounds. I can't remember how much I paid, but it was no where near $200 for the pair. I'm not surprised they fair well when compared to other sub $200 speakers. As surrounds they do quite a good job. Out of curiosity, I tried them as main speakers. They were fairly unremarkable in that role, but not terrible. They certainly don't compare with the Polks I have now or the 1980s Technics before that.

Take the review for what it is these are just $200/pr speakers.

I'm constantly considering replacing the 333s, but have always been afraid the extra cost wouldn't be justified. Maybe this shoot-out confirms that.

R

RacineBoxer

Audioholic Intern
A user on the AVS forums had a mini budget bookshelf GTG recently and that same Yamaha NS-6490 either won or was one of the top couple performers. Odd design but obviously a good performer at the pricepoint.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I just noticed that Tomorrow got honorable mention in the review for music choice but it just happened to be in the most boring part of the review, right at the bottom of the rules. :)

We don't need no stinkin' rules. :D
That's where my wife puts me...at the bottom of the rules. :eek:

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
A user on the AVS forums had a mini budget bookshelf GTG recently and that same Yamaha NS-6490 either won or was one of the top couple performers. Odd design but obviously a good performer at the pricepoint.
Same GTG. :)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I am surprised the $150/pr Yamaha's did so well. Those are an old design but I guess an oldie but goodie ;)
As I recall, the Audioholics store had them on sale at the time of the shootout for 99 bucks for a pair!! Five of those with an entry level receiver and a Crysalis sub would make for a fine little system at a killer price. Even at the current price, I would easily recommend that system to a budget-minded shopper.

I must say, though, with its styling, the NS-333 was my overall favorite of the bunch. It's a pretty cool looking set that I would strongly consider for a small room, such as a bedroom, surround setup.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
damn. i should have bought the 333 instead of the rti4's for my pc.

great job AH.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Cheap Yamaha speakers don't get a lot of respect on audiophile web sites, though I seem to recall Consumer Reports liking some in the past. Frankly, they are not very pretty, so people are naturally going to be prejudiced against them. And, they are often more neutral sounding than some of the competitors, some of which make boomy bass or some other thing to draw attention to them right away to get them sold. I have also observed that there seems to be a lot of prejudice against speakers made by companies that make more than just speakers; people seem to believe that if a company makes other things, that somehow means that they are not experts on making speakers. I think, at their price point, Yamaha has made some pretty good sounding cheap speakers. But having gone to more expensive speakers, I still don't want them.

T

TimPFla

Audioholic Intern
Cheap Yamaha speakers don't get a lot of respect on audiophile web sites, though I seem to recall Consumer Reports liking some in the past. Frankly, they are not very pretty, so people are naturally going to be prejudiced against them. And, they are often more neutral sounding than some of the competitors, some of which make boomy bass or some other thing to draw attention to them right away to get them sold. I have also observed that there seems to be a lot of prejudice against speakers made by companies that make more than just speakers; people seem to believe that if a company makes other things, that somehow means that they are not experts on making speakers. I think, at their price point, Yamaha has made some pretty good sounding cheap speakers. But having gone to more expensive speakers, I still don't want them.

Those Yammy NS6490 or whatever they are are at radioshack online for 79.99
on sale I think until Jan 30...Reg price 89.99 NOTE* Check the size of the speaker. They are huge

Last edited:
S

stevo238

Banned
Interesting that 3 of the top four are speakers that you sell. I don't recall you mentioning that before the test for full disclosure's sake.

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
Interesting that 3 of the top four are speakers that you sell. I don't recall you mentioning that before the test for full disclosure's sake.
A fair observation in my eyes.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis