Harman Kardon AVR 7550HD Flagship Receiver

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Harman Kardon displayed their new AVR 7550HD 7.2-channel audio/video receiver. It features HDMI v1.3a (with Deep Color support) and can pass video signals to 1080p. The receiver employs Faroudja DCDi Cinema digital-video processing utilizing the leading-edge Torino chipset (FLI30436), providing HD upscaling and enhanced 1080p image quality from all video sources. Harman hasn't yet proved itself in the high-end receiver line-up, at least not since the introduction of HDMI and video processing, so it will be nice to see how well this new flagship product is received in the marketplace.

Discuss "Harman Kardon AVR 7550HD Flagship Receiver" here. Read the article.

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
I'd like to get my hands on one of those, to replace my AVR 635

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
MSRP: $2,799

They are a bunch of kidders over at H/K. I remember when they said the AVR 745 was super expensive too. Lots of laughs with these guys. ;) :p :D

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
MSRP: $2,799

They are a bunch of kidders over at H/K. I remember when they said the AVR 745 was super expensive too. Lots of laughs with these guys. ;) :p :D
It doesn't say " super expensive"
What are you implying? That $2799 is chicken feed, or the actual street price will be less.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
the actual street price will be less.
Ding, Ding, Ding !!!
We have a winner !!!

To me that is not chicken feed. I'm so poor that I can't even pay attention. The spec's seem to be missing.

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
Ding, Ding, Ding !!!
We have a winner !!!

To me that is not chicken feed. I'm so poor that I can't even pay attention. The spec's seem to be missing.
Its not chicken feed to me either.
If I use the retail/street price for the HK AVR635 ($1300/800), when I bought it, as a measure, then I would guess the 7550HD will be around $1600.

As of today, the 7550HD is not on HK's web site. And press releases from last Sept said it was to be released this month. But HK has been known to be late on their release dates.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I snooped around some and found that it's suppose to do 110 watts. The former AVR 7300 beast was rated @ 120 watts so this thing should be quite powerful.

808htfan

Junior Audioholic
Is there word on a 6550HD? I see there's a 3550HD available now, though it's not on their website either... :confused:

B

blued888

Audioholic
I snooped around some and found that it's suppose to do 110 watts. The former AVR 7300 beast was rated @ 120 watts so this thing should be quite powerful.
A beast indeed! Knowing how HK rates things, these are 110wpc, all channels driven, right? :eek:

C

cppatin

Audiophyte
Most of the internet regarding this receiver show a release date of Jan. 2009. A couple of post (including this one) show winter 2009. Where did this information come from?

A

AVDOCTOR

Audiophyte
I'd like to get my hands on one of those, to replace my AVR 635
Me too! I'm on Disability now, though, and the cash doesn't compare to when I was working in the A/V industry. I took a killing on my AVR 500 to step up to the AVR 635 primarily to get component video switching ( instead of s-video ),with practically the same amplifier. This, in my thinking, is the only reason to own a Harman Kardon instead of a competeing product - they SOUND better, and its really that simple. As soon as I sacrifice a couple month's income, it would be nice to know that the scheemers in the business don't already have something to replace HDMI with!

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
. This, in my thinking, is the only reason to own a Harman Kardon instead of a competeing product - they SOUND better, and its really that simple. As soon as I sacrifice a couple month's income, it would be nice to know that the scheemers in the business don't already have something to replace HDMI with!
Along with Marantz. I've got a 10 year old 880 I'm still using in this room for a 2.1 system. The problem with this Marantz is no real bass management, only a single xo point @ 100htz.
I don't know if the newer Marantz are as good, now they're part of Denon.

As for my HK635, the auto setup/eq has stopped working, as far as it doesn't "hear" the pink noise. It will send pink noise to each speaker, but then give me a message that it didn't happen and to check the speaker connections and try it again. And its not the mic, I checked it with a VOM.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I will put my stake in and say it will be a monster of an amp. I have an older AVR 7000 rated at 110W in stereo and 100W while in surround. I have been powering a pair of MB Quart QLS 1030's 4 ohm 87 dB and this reciever had been pushes as hard as you you can push a reciever and it has never gone into protection mode. I just bought the Onkyo 805 and it is a strong amp but nothing compared to the HK. I am a HK believer for life. Maybe I will pick up one......two.....

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I will put my stake in and say it will be a monster of an amp. I have an older AVR 7000 rated at 110W in stereo and 100W while in surround. I have been powering a pair of MB Quart QLS 1030's 4 ohm 87 dB and this reciever had been pushes as hard as you you can push a reciever and it has never gone into protection mode. I just bought the Onkyo 805 and it is a strong amp but nothing compared to the HK. I am a HK believer for life. Maybe I will pick up one......two.....
HK and NAD know how deliver on the amplifier sections, thats for sure.

S

speakerking

Enthusiast
well thirsty the avr 25 i also have its now in a box and dont use it cause i have the avr 635 w/out the problems people have but yeah that thing has good sound. And is it just me but i was looking at the avr 7550 manual it states the sub crossover stays at 100 hz wtf on every harman ive owned i can change the sub crossover and also when did harman start rating there recievers driven in 2 channels vs there ALL CHANNEL DRIVEN SPEC like the 7550 says 110 times 2 channels driven and does anyone one now what kind of power capacitors this reciever has ?

Last edited:
A

allargon

Audioholic General
HK power isn't in doubt. What drives me nuts is their video processing (Yes, I know Denon also uses that garbage Faroudja in their lower end receivers, too.) and room correction feature set on many of their receivers seem to be stuck in 2004.

HK, NAD and maybe? Cambridge Audio definitely deliver in AMP. I do love the HK sound of my little AVR 247. I'm not in love with the video processing or other feature sets.

All that said, it's nice to see HK filling out the space between HK and Lexicon. (No, they're not bumping up into Mark Levison territory at all. Truthfully, HK could offer a pricier separate and still not get to Lexicon let alone ML territory.)

BTW the 7550HD is now on HK's web site. (Notice that it doesn't even have HDMI 1.4.)

http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=AVR 7550HD&accT=1&tsT=0&ovT=1

Also what kind of DAC's (assuming it's different than the TI DSP) does this puppy use?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I am repeating myself but I honestly don't see much value to have any video scaling processors on board receivers at all. If HK sticks with the stupid Faroudja because it costs them next to nothing, then I said they are just being smart. IMHO money saved by not having onboard video scaler can be better spent in improving other areas such as power supply, noise reduction, more HDMI and top quality video signal pass through etc. Most HD players and TV have decent scaling capabilities and if more people rely on the TV's build in scaler it will give their manufacturers incentive (competition) to improve on that quality, instead of putting REON/ABT etc. on receivers and HD players that often go to waste. I lost count on how many ABT/Reon and others in my system it is getting ridiculous.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I am repeating myself but I honestly don't see much value to have any video scaling processors on board receivers at all. If HK sticks with the stupid Faroudja because it costs them next to nothing, then I said they are just being smart. IMHO money saved by not having onboard video scaler can be better spent in improving other areas such as power supply, noise reduction, more HDMI and top quality video signal pass through etc. Most HD players and TV have decent scaling capabilities and if more people rely on the TV's build in scaler it will give their manufacturers incentive (competition) to improve on that quality, instead of putting REON/ABT etc. on receivers and HD players that often go to waste. I lost count on how many ABT/Reon and others in my system it is getting ridiculous.
I think the biggest scam going more so than this upscaling is 3D. Another useless fad dsigned to suck money out of the general consumer. I'm telling everyone I know about the assoicated health risks and I recommend against it to all I talk too.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Having the video processor within an AVR has many advantages...
A typical home theater system will have a wide variety of sources connected, each of these sources requires different video post-processing modes.
The video processing modes may include:
a. NR
b. Edge correction
c. Film edit
d. Aspect ratio
e. Gamma gain
f. Sharpness

Connected sources could include a PS3, cable box and a digital camera.
If one expects the video post-processing to be done within the video display, then every time one switches to a different source they need to go back to the display's OSD and change modes...
As when the AVR is connected to the video display through HDMI, all modes within the display are applied globally to the single input from the AVR, a major disadvantage...
For example..
  • On the cable box, one is watching a movie so he wants the film-edit mode ON.
  • On the PS3 one is playing games so most of the post-processing modes should be OFF
  • On the digital camera, one will likely want to adjust the sharpness and gamm gain controls

Perhaps in the future when all sources are HD, there will be less need for changing video post-processing modes, however in today's SD and HD world these mode changes are frequently required.

Regarding choice of video processors, this now comes down to the marketing game which is better..
Anchor Bay, Marvel, ST, TI, Reon..
Just like which audio DSP or DAC is better..:rolleyes:

Just my $0.00.. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis