AV Rant #109: CES09

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Live from the show, Clint and Tom report on the press events so far, some of the overarching themes, and how CES is changing. Before you start groaning, don't worry, Dina participated in the podcast as well and offers her unique perspective. Some of the topics include Panasonic's partnership with James Cameron. LG's wireless TV. Monster Cables admits they are wrong... sort of. Oh, and Toshiba's definition of what the customer wants and why we think they are asking the wrong people. Listen in for all this and much more.

Discuss "AV Rant #109: CES09" here. Read the article.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
hey, im at CES too! but my feet are toast. im back at my hotel room putting my feet up.

K

KenC

Audiophyte
Don't Fear the 120Hz!

Comment on the 110 podcast:

120 Hz is not the same as motion interpolation. 120 Hz by itself is not a bad thing and (for instance) allows the display to correctly show 24P content without pulldown.

It's when you enable the motion interpolation option that things go wonky. Samsung calls theirs "Auto Motion Plus". I've done the dog and pony show for several people and have yet to find someone who likes the effect. At best it looks abnormally smooth and "fake" - "Soap Operaish" is what one called it. At worst it introduces glaring motion errors. Honestly, I don't care how "good" this tech gets, I don't want it. Give me 24P over that crap any day. If 120 unique frames are so great, RECORD in 120P then.

120Hz is significant since it is the lowest refresh that allows 60i and 24P to be shown correctly. Only God knows what the heck we need 240Hz for.

But, spread the word. 120Hz = good. Motion interpolation = questionable at best.

The problem is, finding 120Hz without motion interpolation is extremely rare... I certainly can't find it in most of these displays. The industry has made 120Hz synonymous with frame interpolation. Very few companies are doing any blanking (Panasonic is one company that is the exception) because it reduces light output as a result. Samsung does both interpolation AND blanking, but you can actually turn one, the other, or both off.

240Hz was simply a joke at the Sony booth. A horrendous demo that did them no good in my opinion.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
120Hz is significant since it is the lowest refresh that allows 60i and 24P to be shown correctly. Only God knows what the heck we need 240Hz for.
Because this is America and more is better.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord

too bad JL did not display their home subs

omg, giant analog meters

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis