Pioneer Elite SC-07 A/V Receiver Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Pioneer SC-07 A/V receiver is armed with all of the latest decoding and processing, making it a capable product for next generation high definition audio and video. Although the SC-07 didn't fare well on the bench when tested with 4-ohm loads, it proved to hold up quite well on real world 4-ohm speaker systems driving musical content instead of continuous test tones and only gave up some of its composure as the volume levels were increased. I found MCACC to be quite a useful tool and ease of setup and operation of the SC-07 were strong points in a sea of overly complex A/V receivers. If you're a Pioneer fan, you will probably be quite satisfied with this receiver from a performance and operational standpoint. Although it isn't class leading, it can serve well in an upscale home theater system if used within its design limits.

Discuss "Pioneer Elite SC-07 A/V Receiver Review" here. Read the article.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
The SC-07 was a bit limited in crossover options with the following increments: 50, 80, 100, 150, 200Hz.
Ive never understood why their upper level avrs lack more control over this?

Driving 4-ohm loads was an entirely different story. The SC-07 simply fell apart when running full bandwidth (20Hz to 20kHz) continuous power measurements. As I tested at frequencies above 5kHz with only 1 channel driven, the internal cooling fan would instantly come on right before the receiver would go into gross distortion and shut down at levels above 100 watts. With two-channels driven, I was able to squeeze out a clean 150wpc at less than 0.5% THD. Anything higher would again run the amps into gross distortion and shut off the receiver. I was a bit perplexed in how the receiver managed to better cope with 2 channels driven over 1 and could only surmise that it had something to do with symmetrical load balancing on the power supply. How this receiver was awarded the THX Ultra2 rating was a bit perplexing to me.
I beleive ive read a couple of articles that stated class d measuements would be skewed if interpruted the same way as tradtional class a/b is there any truth to that. (iirc it had to do with harmonic vs inharmoic dist) Its does seem strange that the ULTRA2 rating was acheived>

Although the SC-07 didn't fare well on the bench when tested with 4-ohm loads, it proved to hold up quite well on real world 4-ohm speaker systems driving musical content instead of continuous test tones and only gave up some of its composure as the volume levels were increased. As a result, I'd cautiously recommend using this receiver with highly efficient 4-ohm speakers.
Would you recommend it for use with 4ohm speakers?

The SC-07 has DLNA media client with FLAC support for those wishing to stream music from a PC or other Internet source.
Did you get a chance to compare this version to the one on the 94?

A

alexsound

Audioholic
Disappointing. The VSX-94TXH seems to be a better overall receiver that this one is, and it was cheaper.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I beleive ive read a couple of articles that stated class d measuements would be skewed if interpruted the same way as tradtional class a/b is there any truth to that. (iirc it had to do with harmonic vs inharmoic dist) Its does seem strange that the ULTRA2 rating was acheived>
Without a precondition filter, I could not accurately do an FFT distortion analysis for the reasons stated in my review. The inability of this receiver to drive a 4 ohm load continuously at full bandwidth is independent of this issue and a result of one or all three reasons I stated in the review.

Would you recommend it for use with 4ohm speakers?
Conditionally

Its does seem strange that the ULTRA2 rating was acheived>
THX doesn't do full bandwidth continuous power tests.

THX certification for amplifiers only guarantees that amplifier voltage and current are sufficient to play any and all program material through a THX Certified speaker (capable of 105dB peaks, minimum 3.2 ohm nominal impedance, minimum 89dB sensitivity) to 105dB peaks in a 3,000 cubic foot room (for Ultra2).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What about upgradeability?

I recently tried a Pioneer Elite DV-58AV SACD/DVD-A player, which needed a firmware update. I called customer support and they said I had to SHIP the unit to Pioneer for the firmware!!!

For a freaking simple firmware?

Oppo had the same issues (some music tracks skipping) and they fixed it with a firmware you can just download on the website.

But Pioneer requires the unit to be shipped?

I have no respect for Pioneer.

TABCON

TABCON

Audioholic
I just purchased this receiver to replace the TWO Integra 8.9's I had to return due to defects.
They were to replace my old Denon 4806.

I bought it at Best Buy for $1,799.99.

It's a gorgeous piece of equipment, but not as heavy as the Denon or the Integra's. Do "ICE" amps weigh less?

I was disappointed to find out that you cannot upconvert hdmi signals to 1080p, but that didn't stop me from buying it. I felt that at this price point, it was a great deal.

I have it connected to the Axiom Epic 80 4ohm home theatre speakers and so far it does just fine.
The front speakers are bi-amped and sound great. I've noticed different sounds in soundtracks I never heard before with my old Denon.

I haven't really cranked it way up yet, but at moderate to high levels I did not notice any clipping or anything else unusual. I'm going to test it later at some higher levels to see how it does.

What would be the best method to test this receivers amp at higher loads? Settings, duration, levels, content...etc?

If it does not perform as it should, I'll just return it.

Incidently, the Integra did not do well with the 4 ohm load at all, that is the one that actually played surround sound. One of the reviews I read about the 8.9 is that it cuts wattage from 140 to 60 for 4ohm loads to protect the circuit.
Pretty lame "feature", especially since they make no mention of it in any of their literature.

ONE more thing please, do you guys have any recommendations, besides Integra or Onkyo, should I return this unit? I'd really like to have something made to drive 4 ohm loads and that does video upscaling.

Thanks!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
If it does not perform as it should, I'll just return it.

Incidently, the Integra did not do well with the 4 ohm load at all, that is the one that actually played surround sound. One of the reviews I read about the 8.9 is that it cuts wattage from 140 to 60 for 4ohm loads to protect the circuit.
Pretty lame "feature", especially since they make no mention of it in any of their literature.
If you're happy with its performance, why change it? Bench tests are usually much harder than real world test conditions.

The current protection circuit on the Integra tripped during ACD test which isn't a very realistic test anyways. That is a really good receiver as well and in real world should deliver decent power output.

If you don't feel the Pio amp is straining and you like it, I wouldn't fix something that isn't broken.

Currently there are NO products on the market that I know of that can take 1080p from component video and pass it thru HDMI as 1080p. So that comment in my review also applies to the Yamaha RX-Z7 and $7500 Denon AVP Pre/Pro!

ONE more thing please, do you guys have any recommendations, besides Integra or Onkyo, should I return this unit? I'd really like to have something made to drive 4 ohm loads and that does video upscaling.
The Yamaha RX-Z7

R

rowlf

Audiophyte
omnidirectional mic with a long nose

Gene,

I own the sc-05 (sc-07's sister) but would like to get the best sound from it given that I do not have the ear or currently have the technical ability to tweak it like yourself. You mentioned an omnidirectional mic with a long nose to potentailly acheive more accurate calibration. Could you recommend one?

Rowlf

TABCON

TABCON

Audioholic
I just finished the Pioneer calibration using my old Denon 4806 microphone and the results were quite different. I don't know if they're better or not, just different. The prominent difference between using the cheap little plastic Pioneer mic and the Denon mic, were levels. With the Pioneer mic, most of the speaker levels were set between -3.0 and -5.0. The Denon set most of the levels around 0.0. Does this mean that the Denon mic is not as sensitive?Distances were all within a couple of inches of one another. Both settings sound fine and I don't think the use of a better mic, unless your talking professional grade stuff, will make much of a difference.

I must say that after playing a little bit of Mr. & Mrs. Smith at fairly high levels, the Pioneer didn't blink and the sound was great. I had to adjust the center speaker down a little. It was just too bright and loud. Both setups set the center to "Large", but I think it needs to be set to small. I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

For the most part, I'm very satisfied with the Pioneer so far. Besides, I'm over the high end stuff. Six months to a year from now, most of it will be obsolete anyway...lol.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Mics are calibrated for specific applications, you can't just use Denon mic on a Pio AVR and expect it to be properly calibrated.
I just finished the Pioneer calibration using my old Denon 4806 microphone and the results were quite different. I don't know if they're better or not, just different. QUOTE]

krabapple

krabapple

Banned
It's curious that this model doesn't offer multi-point MCACC; my older
74txvi does.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
It's curious that this model doesn't offer multi-point MCACC; my older
74txvi does.
Hmm, I didn't see it as an option and I sent this review to Pioneer for tech peer prior to publishing and they didn't say anything of the sort.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I own the sc-05 (sc-07's sister) but would like to get the best sound from it given that I do not have the ear or currently have the technical ability to tweak it like yourself. You mentioned an omnidirectional mic with a long nose to potentailly acheive more accurate calibration. Could you recommend one?

Rowlf
Not unless you can update the Pioneer with that specific mic's calibration file and also match the preamp drive level. Denon is the only one I know that allows for external mics other than the factory one that ships with the receiver.

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
Gene,

Did you calibrate all the MCACC eq's? Symmetry, All channels adjust and Front Align? Or simply just the default "symmetry". Also, what about the 3 position standing wave calibration?
From my experience with my SC-05, I found that I prefer "front align" over the other two. I felt the other two modes made for a dull muddy sound with the EQ engaged.

Thanks

TABCON

TABCON

Audioholic
Gene-

You state in your review of this receiver that it is not a "class leader".

If class is defined by price, what would you consider a "class leader" in the $1,800 to $2,000 price range?

I looked fairly long and hard at several brands in this price range, even bringing home the 2 Integra units. Based on specs, features and most importantly price, the Pioneer was the closest thing I could find to a class leader.

It's gets a little confusing out there. While making comparisons of the various receivers I considered from Denon, Pioneer, NAD, Yamaha, Marantz, Sony, etc., each had something that usually made it stand out fro the other. For instance, Denon has Wifi cabability, a nice feature, but not a deciding factor for me.

It's all give and take, and no two or three of them had identical features or specs. So, for me, it was a matter of selecting the unit with those features and specs that best suited my requirements.

So again, based solely on your scientific review guidelines, what is the class leader in this price range?

BTW, thanks for all the great reviews and features you've written here over the years.
This site, your in depth reviews, and the great forums are what got me started in the AV world in the first place.

D

derek44

Enthusiast
Not sure what is best Pioneer SC 07 or?

I have been thinking about the buying a new A/V receiver. I would be interested in knowing which one of these 4 receivers below would give me the best audio for home theater and music and the best picture quality given my set up. Or is there another receiver in this price range that i should be considering? I was leaning towards the Pioneer, but now I'm not sure after reading this review. Here is my set up, I have everything hooked up via HDMI.

62" 1080pm DLP Mitsubishi
panasonic blu ray
kilpsh L/R speaker/center/surround
martin logan descent i sub
HD cable/DVR box

Pioneer SC 07

Denon 4308

Integra DTR 9.9

Marantz AV 8003

thanks for your help!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
You state in your review of this receiver that it is not a "class leader".

If class is defined by price, what would you consider a "class leader" in the $1,800 to $2,000 price range?

I looked fairly long and hard at several brands in this price range, even bringing home the 2 Integra units. Based on specs, features and most importantly price, the Pioneer was the closest thing I could find to a class leader.

It's gets a little confusing out there. While making comparisons of the various receivers I considered from Denon, Pioneer, NAD, Yamaha, Marantz, Sony, etc., each had something that usually made it stand out fro the other. For instance, Denon has Wifi cabability, a nice feature, but not a deciding factor for me.

It's all give and take, and no two or three of them had identical features or specs. So, for me, it was a matter of selecting the unit with those features and specs that best suited my requirements.

So again, based solely on your scientific review guidelines, what is the class leader in this price range?

BTW, thanks for all the great reviews and features you've written here over the years.
This site, your in depth reviews, and the great forums are what got me started in the AV world in the first place.
For a few hundred more, I think the Yamaha RX-Z7 is a better product from a performance and feature standpoint. I'd also imagine the RX-V3900 is nearly as good as the Z7 for less money than the SC-07. There are some that prefer the simplicity of the Pioneer and the "signature sound" of the ICE amps however.

I also feel the Denon AVR-3808CI is another great value based on past products they've consistantly delivered in this price class.

That being said, I don't always purchase "class leading" products myself. Hence why I drive an Acura TL instead of a BMW 328i :)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I have been thinking about the buying a new A/V receiver. I would be interested in knowing which one of these 4 receivers below would give me the best audio for home theater and music and the best picture quality given my set up. Or is there another receiver in this price range that i should be considering? I was leaning towards the Pioneer, but now I'm not sure after reading this review. Here is my set up, I have everything hooked up via HDMI.

62" 1080pm DLP Mitsubishi
panasonic blu ray
kilpsh L/R speaker/center/surround
martin logan descent i sub
HD cable/DVR box
I'd lean towards the Denon 4308CI or Yamaha RX-Z7 even though its not on your list. The Z7 is the most impressive receiver I have tested this year by far!

D

derek44

Enthusiast
Gene is your review of the Yamaha on this forum?

Gene,

thanks for your reply, I searched for a review on the yamaha rx z7 and didn't find that. is it posted anywhere?

thanks again!

derek

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene,

thanks for your reply, I searched for a review on the yamaha rx z7 and didn't find that. is it posted anywhere?

thanks again!

derek
not yet, its a work in progress :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis