Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player - Update

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
We got our hands on some information about the pending release of Oppo Digital's universal Blu-ray player, due late December or early January to a handful of "guinea pig" early adopters/beta testers. That's right, we said "Universal" Blu-ray player. Except for Denon's ultra-high-end $3800 DVD-A1UDCI, this is the first universal BD player that will hit the market able to play DVDs, CDs, SACDs and DVD-Audio discs. And the best part is that it will hit the streets at a price somewhere between $499 and $599. Oh, and it will include Anchor Bay's VRS video processing... and do 1080p/24Hz output for both DVD and Blu-ray. And... and...

Discuss "Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player - Update" here. Read the article.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
JMO but they've missed the boat! Outside of a few hardcore A/V nuts this will be welcomed news, but for most of us we've already taken the plunge into realm of BR.:)

T

talannar

Junior Audioholic
For those of us who don't want to upgrade their processor/receiver was there any information about the player having analog audio outs?

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Count me in!

Right now, I've an Oppo for DVD, SACD and DVD-Audio while I use my PS3 for Blu-ray. I love the PS3, but it does have some distracting fan noise (it's one of the original 80GB models - the ones that still had PS2 backwards compatibility - the newest ones are very quiet, but these older ones had some fan noise).

The BDP-83 will be a nice solution so that all of my non-game disc playing can happen using one universal player and I can move my PS3 out of my theater and into my games' room and be able to watch Blu-ray in there too if I ever get the urge :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For those of us who don't want to upgrade their processor/receiver was there any information about the player having analog audio outs?
You might want to actually read the article and the 7+ page thread on it here. Yes it has internal decoding and analog outs, which is why it is such a big deal.

I got the email on this player yesterday too. I could swing the $499, but $599 is pushing it for my liking when I can get a Panny or Sony for half that, even though they won't have the same kind of capability (SACD, DVD-A when they add it)

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'll just stick with my $399 PS3 as I don't care about dvd-a or SACD but it does look like a nice player.

H

hodedofome

Audioholic Intern
I just ordered a Panasonic BDP-35 which from what I've read has pretty dang good upconversion itself. However, I'm sure this will be cream of the crop and will give the overpriced Denon a run for it's money. For those folks who want high end but feel paying thousands of dollars for a flippin' player this should be the real deal. A little out of my price range personally, as I just bought a player and 6 free discs for $200.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

If it really decodes everything and has high rez analog output I'd seriously check it out. I've got a lot of SACD & DVD-A discs and it would be great to have one player for every round silver disc I own.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
JMO but they've missed the boat! Outside of a few hardcore A/V nuts this will be welcomed news, but for most of us we've already taken the plunge into realm of BR.:)
I haven't taken the plunge. Maybe I'm not a hardcore nut. I'd like to say that I waited because I'm smart but that's not the truth. It's tough justifying the cost. I guess I would be more hardcore if I had more money.

Now that my dream of an affordable universal player has come true the waking reality is that it will come down in price before I buy it. I'm not singin' the blues or nothin'. I'm happy to know what this thing is and what it will do.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i'd hit it for 399 :D (ok, maybe 299)

but not at 499.

i'm not THAT excited to see "DTS-HD" on my receiver display

K

krajnik

Audiophyte
Is anyone aware of whether this player will be able to upscale DVD over the component video output? I'm currently in Tokyo, and waiting till I move back to the states in a couple years to upgrade my display to HDMI. I do have a PS3 for Bluray, but I'd love to be able to up-convert my current DVD collection. (And as far as i know, most up-converting players only output the higher-rez over HDMI... If anyone knows of one that supports component, I'd love to hear about it.)

S

satish536

Audioholic
Is this player going to be region free for blu ray playback ?

I believe some panasonic blu ray players support region free blu ray, can someone confirm this ?

Its a worldwide market come on Oppo ........ :rolleyes:

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
And as far as i know, most up-converting players only output the higher-rez over HDMI... If anyone knows of one that supports component, I'd love to hear about it.)
Some months back I asked that same question and the answer was no. Furthermore there was no way to successfully convert HDMI to component. Even HDMI to DVI wouldn't work because of the lack of HDCP compliance on my TV at the time. However from what I understand your TV is already doing what you want the player to do, probably better than most players can.

Seems like you are already where you want to be. :)

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I believe some panasonic blu ray players support region free blu ray, can someone confirm this ?
The BD35 and 55 are region A only.
It's possible there's an unlock code, but I haven't heard of one as of yet.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
i'd hit it for 399
So would I. Well, $399 Canadian, which could be anywhere between $700 and $399 US depending on marketplace whims

Edit: OK, maybe I wouldn't pay $700 CDN, sigh...

Last edited:
A

allargon

Audioholic General
i'd hit it for 399 :D (ok, maybe 299)

but not at 499.

i'm not THAT excited to see "DTS-HD" on my receiver display
You can see DTS-HD on your player for $99 or less in the form of a used/refurb'd Samsung BD-P1400 or for a little bit more one of the Funai clones.

This player is for people who either want a universal (sans HD DVD) player, want killer upscaling (not to be dismissed) or NEED multichannel analog outputs. For the multichannel crowd that want internal DTS-HD MA decoding, the only other choices are much pricier Denon, Pioneer, Marantz and Cambridge Audio systems or the Panny DMP-BD55. (The Samsung BD-P25xx does not internally decode DTS-HD MA)

I am definitely no Oppo or Blu-Ray cheerleader, but I don't think the price is out of line at all.

Here's its 7.1 multichannel analog output competition:

Oppo player -- SACD/DVD-A? playback, nonpareil SD DVD playback
Panny DMP-BD 55 -- fast loading (for a standalone), decent SD DVD performance, relatively bug free (for a standalone) operation, DIVX playback
Samsung BD-P25xx -- NO DTS-HD HR/MA internal decoding, EXCELLENT upscaling via Reon, Netflix bitstreaming, questionable DACs
Sony BDP-S550 -- DTS-HD MA decoding after firmware update?, questionable SD DVD performance
Denon/Marantz -- profile 1.1 only, $2k, EXCELLENT upscaling via Realta, still doesn't internally decode DD+ (A $99 Toshiba HD-A2 could do this last year!)
Denon -- $4k, SACD/DVD-A, EXCELLENT upscaling
Pioneer -- profile 1.1 only, $800, reportedly good upscaling
Yamaha -- profile 1.1 only, $1000
Onkyo -- profile 1.1 only, no DTS-HD MA decoding?, $800
Panny DMP-BD10AK -- profile 1.0, sloooooooow, HORRIBLE SD DVD upscaling, plays DVD-A's, no DTS-HD MA decoding, cheap...about $100 used on e-bay

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Mike, you won't see DTS-HD pop up on your receiver if you use the analog outs :D

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Somebody made mention of the prices lowering, but has Oppo ever lowered their prices on a player after it's been released? I don't remember reading that they ever had. So it's likely that their $499 is staying right where it is for quite some time. It is the player that I want, but that price tag, particularly the Canadian price tag, is always gonna be yikes. :(

I'm still gonna want it, of course. :rolleyes:

cheers,
supervij

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis