Sound Advice / Tweeter Stores Shut Down in a Dumbed Down Marketplace

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
After two filings for bankruptcy in less than one year, all 94 Tweeter / Sound Advice stores have officially closed down as of today. This marks the end of an era for a company I once respected and even admired as an example of how a true audiophile store should operate, at least until Tweeter took them over and ran them into the ground. With the loss of so many mainstream Hi-Fi shops you're left with chain department stores where you can buy cubed speakers and overpriced Monster cables from a pimply-faced teenager while simultaneously shopping for a new dishwasher. The death of these stores in my opinion elevates the trend of the Dumbing Down of Audio.

Discuss "Sound Advice / Tweeter Stores Shut Down in a Dumbed Down Marketplace" here. Read the article.

SpeedDemon

SpeedDemon

Audioholics Resident Expert
A sad day indeed on what was once a GREAT audio retailer. It took Tweeter 7 years to dismantle what took over 25 to build...they should all be shot! Who knows... maybe there's life for Sound Advice after this mess and some how it resurects back to become something meaningfull again. Let's hope so because as each day passes, there are less and less places to actually hear, see, feel and purchase quality products. Speed.

A

alexsound

Audioholic
After two filings for bankruptcy in less than one year, all 94 Tweeter / Sound Advice stores have officially closed down as of today. This marks the end of an era for a company I once respected and even admired as an example of how a true audiophile store should operate, at least until Tweeter took them over and ran them into the ground. With the loss of so many mainstream Hi-Fi shops you're left with chain department stores where you can buy cubed speakers and overpriced Monster cables from a pimply-faced teenager while simultaneously shopping for a new dishwasher. The death of these stores in my opinion elevates the trend of the Dumbing Down of Audio.

Discuss "Sound Advice / Tweeter Stores Shut Down in a Dumbed Down Marketplace" here. Read the article.

I've been doing business off and on with SA for about 20 years including the old Audio Garage stores they used to have. It is a very sad day to see these guys go. I bought my first car stereo from them, my 1st real TV, my 1st and only S-VHS VCR, which I still have, and a laser disc player. My first surround receiver came from these guys. Man, I did a lot of business with them. Sad, sad day.

sleepysurf

sleepysurf

Junior Audioholic
I've been doing business off and on with SA for about 20 years including the old Audio Garage stores they used to have. It is a very sad day to see these guys go. I bought my first car stereo from them, my 1st real TV, my 1st and only S-VHS VCR, which I still have, and a laser disc player. My first surround receiver came from these guys. Man, I did a lot of business with them. Sad, sad day.
I agree it's sad to see them gone. In ~1989 I bought a pair of Apogee Acoustics Stages from Sound Advice (pre-Tweeter days), and thus began my foray into high end audio. I bought a lot of other gear from them after Tweeters took over, but they've been in a downward spiral ever since.

One can only hope they might yet be resurrected, at least in FL.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Likewise. I even bought speakers from them (buy one get one 50% off) which they allowed me to tradeup a year later. Try doing that at Best Buy.

jinjuku

jinjuku

In today's world when the only thing a potential customer calls to ask about is price, the dedicated Hi-End shop is dead.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
It's definitely a shame to see places like that go out of business. Looks like a lot of things were handled very poorly, especially after reading the below article.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10111831-1.html

One of my friends uncle used to own a local chain called Audio Video Systems, then Tweeter bought him out, and now that his no comete clause is up he has opened a new store dedicated to custom home theater and I'm glad to see that Tweeter won't be any competition to him, but I did enjoy going to Tweeter even if it was just too look around. They did however do a good job of car audio installation for me, and even though their prices were steep, they did stand behind their work.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I was in a Tweeter not long ago and the very attentive sales dude explained that even though a lot of stores were being closed, his store remained because it was making money. The closing really sucks for those employees who did like their jobs.

Reading the article I got side tracked by Un-Sound Advice About Cables and all I could think of was Mazer dropping acid and selling wire. :D

I had something to say about the Dumbing Down of Audio article too but the Mazer visual proved to be too much. Good reading for those of us without degrees in electro acoustic geekery. :p :)

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Excellent article, but don't you think the role of internet sales killing b and m retail stores was a bit underplayed?
I felt it was a perfect example of the whole American business model which seems to be very short sighted. In the town where I live, they built a large Ace Hardware store in 1990. Locals claimed they were going to put the two mom and pop's out of business, and they did it in 5 years. The folks at Ace claimed it was competition, survival of the fittest, and letting the market decide. Home Depot opened up a block away three years ago...........and the folks at Ace are singing a whole different tune now as they are slowly strangled.
I see it happening with online stuff too. Authorized sellers are trying to compete with "unauthorized" sellers who offer the gear at 50% less. I'm not sure where it will end........maybe like in the futuristic Demolition Man where Taco Bell owns everything...

I guess people will tolerate crappy service for the cheapest price....

P

PhilCohen

Audioholic
"Sound Advice" has for some years catered to a sucker market who were unaware that Sound Advice was regularly charging 15% over(actual) list price on Televisions, by stating fictitiously high list prices.

Audio equipment was de-emphasized at their stores, and the days when Sound Advice would have any local exclusives on high end audio brands was over.

Why would a knowledgeable consumer pay 15% over list for a television, when they could go to Sears or Best Buy and get the same T.V. at the manufacturers suggested price or even get the set at a discount at Circuit City?(or better yet, buy from an online discounter such as Amazon)

In my 42 years of experience buying electronic home entertainment equipment, I had much better luck with repairs done by factory authorized repair shops than repairs done by salon dealers such as Sound Advice, yet salon dealers usually cite their in-house repair shops as justification for their high prices. I'm not interested in paying for a dealer's fancy interior decorating and wasteful use of excessively large store space. Those aren't the things that I take home.

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
We didn't have Tweeters/Sound Advice on the west coast, but we did have Good Guys, who went belly-up a couple of years ago. They carried a good range of stuff, too, from entry-level electronics like Pioneer, Yamaha, & Denon to Carver, Meridian, Music Hall, & other "higher end" stuff. Too bad we're now left with BB & CC (until they're gone, too) Sad...:(

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
Ooh but BB sells Martin Logan stuff now! That makes them good right ;)?

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
When did that start?
At least the BBs in Colorado that have added the "Magnolia Home Theater" sections have been doing it for a year (maybe more?). They are only authorized to sell Design Series, though. Amazon can sell this series as well (since June) apparently, so I would guess there is some level of "selling out" going on here.

Sorry about inadvertently hijacking the thread!!

Last edited:
MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
Pre-Tweeter / Post Tweeter

Growing up just outsde Chicago, a local store called United Audio Center was just a 10-15 minute bike ride away. I loved popping into that store on some occasions to look around. At the time I was mostly interested in car stereos and buying audio cassette tapes when I visited stores period. At United Audio Center I would briefly look into their HiFi selection of receivers and listen to whatever tunes were playing through them.

Then came the day when Dad said he'd go shopping with me to buy a receiver. This would begin to replace my Sears brand all in one system. Such a nice birthday preset that bulky thing was years before and the receiver was and a very nice birthday present to upgrade. Two things I read in middle school. Car magazines and stereo magazines. Although United Audio Center was a favored place to go, it wasn't my primary place. I went to the bigger chain stores and think how cool all those graphic equalizers looked on the receivers they sold. Having 5 was cool and some had seven on them. Dad and I perused and demoed many of them and me doing so with a very close ear.

I decided I wanted to give United Audio Center a try. Having only looked briefly on their receivers for a couple of years with my nonfrequent visits to their store. Giving their gear a closer look, I was stunned by the fact that their receivers had no graphic equalizers. NONE!!!:eek: But having the sound quality of many other receivers sporting eqalizers on my mind, I gave a listen to a Yamaha. SOLD!!! I was taken into to warmth of the sound that receiver produced. I later bought Polk Audio shelf speakers from that store to further replace my once loved Sears all in one system. Although my Yaham's amplifier crapped out a years ago (about 25 years after I bought it) I still have my Polks running. (Boy have they really slid down in quality over the years; but I digress - another thread for another time).

My family moved further north and I was thrilled to have spotted another United Audio Center store on the way to Dad's work. When Tweeter bought them out, it didn't bother me. Nothing changed in the store. But then I was ready to buy a home theater system. Not having read stereo magazines since high school, I had no clue what Dolby Digital, DTS, etc. meant. I went to the local Tweeter store and, it totally sucked. My sales rep was a complete snob, always down talking any and all products NOT sold by Tweeter and not knowing diddly squat about things like using a separate amp to power two surround back speakers. I was nterested in the (then) new DVD-Audio format and he only grinned sourly and told me that he just likes stereo for music. I think that's fine; but I *WANTED* surround music in my house. He didn't help. I ended up buying the Denon 3801 receiver mainly because t was the only model I found that offered 7.1 surround as opposed to 5.1 or 6.1. Then Crutchfield proudly announced they would begin to sell Denon products about 6 months after my two visits with Mr. Badmouthelitesalesdork from Tweeter.:mad:

Anyhow, when Tweeter replaced Boston Accoustics with Polk, that was a bad sign for me. And Focus speakers (is that what they're called?), well, never did it for me. Tweeter had good televisions (I've yet ot get a high def. one) ad receivers; but things were clearly dwindling.

So I'm not shocked by Tweeters' demise; but it is sad that their downfall took some great stores with them.

Last edited:
MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
Geno #11

'More Cowbell'.

LOL. Dude, that's a hilarious skit.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I have a problem with the title of the thread. I've never seen a Tweeter store in my life but I can tell you that, if the "dumb downed" public stopped buying what they sold, it wasn't due to the intelligence of customers. It was due to the value of what the retailer did in the eyes of those customers. I don't know what caused their demise but I do know that the public was only a reflection of what the company's management did. It wasn't a conspiracy based on the stupidiy of the public. Don't insult the public. You can point the blame at the company itself, for whatever reason.

J

jopela

Audioholic Intern
I don't think it is fair to put all of the blame on Tweeter. Yes sound advice sold great audio products for 25 years, but look at the market place 25 years ago. There were the cheap scratchy sounding paper cone speakers and then the high end market. Things can be made so cheaply now that to an untrained ear a $200 HTIB speaker set can sound close to a $4000 speaker set or at least good enough for someone to buy. I was one of those people 5 years ago. The middle market has really stepped up it's game that only true audiophiles see the need to buy anything beyond what is at the big box stores. Then you have BOSE brainwashing another large segment of the market place. And not to start a BOSE war again, but their speakers do not sound that bad in a smaller room at moderate volume, and at their high pricepoint they have become the upper-middle market leader since consumers to not take the time to research other options and want instant gradification.

I had a friend over the other night and he commented on why I purchased such big clunky 'old-style' (floorstanding) speakers.

The market consumer has changed and there is less and less need for the high end market. Stores need to play to the market to stay alive.

Last edited:
Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Great story Gene, I can tell the outlet really meant something to you. I bet many of us can narrow down our formative hi-fi experiences to a particular store, friend, father, older brother. You mentioned your brother's gear at the party at SOTU. Great story, reminds me of my experiences with my dad's hi-fi equipment. I was never allowed to touch it... hehe, the forbidden nature must have been what turned me into an audioholic.

I'd never seen Tweeter or Sound Advice. But I get the idea.

Things have clearly changed in electronics and in retail. I remember the rise of the 'warehouse' type store in the 80s. Then the rise of cheap, easily replcable electronics that really kicked in during my time as the traveling TV repair man back in the early 90s.

I went to people's houses who owned the same TV set for the better part of 20 years. When they bought that floor model Quazar they were really making an investment in their livingroom's future. It was cost effective to have some clown like me come over and swap out modules to keep it running.

R

ragged

Senior Audioholic
Great, now I'm stuck going to Grammophone in Columbia MD if I want to see the good stuff.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis