Stranger Than Fiction Special Edition: Blu-ray Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Will Ferrel stars in Stranger Than Fiction, back on Blu-ray again, wrapped up in the very-attractive holiday packaging of "Special Edition." Or rather, wrapped in Sony's attempt to slide another hand into your wallet with a film that many were surprised to see on Blu-ray in the first place – it's certainly not an audio or video masterpiece, and it wasn't exactly a blockbuster release that everyone was looking to snap up.

Discuss "Stranger Than Fiction Special Edition: Blu-ray Preview" here. Read the article.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
This movie was surprisingly good. It was unexpected, and a fairly big departure from Ferrel's normal "stupid humor" movies. I loved Emma Thomsan's character also. Not exactly a blockbuster movie, but I found it to be very entertaining. Fortunately I didn't buy it the first time around because it was a bit pricey, but I may pick up this SE version (or maybe a hopefully cheap copy of the first release).

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
This movie was surprisingly good. It was unexpected, and a fairly big departure from Ferrel's normal "stupid humor" movies. I loved Emma Thomsan's character also. Not exactly a blockbuster movie, but I found it to be very entertaining. Fortunately I didn't buy it the first time around because it was a bit pricey, but I may pick up this SE version (or maybe a hopefully cheap copy of the first release).
It's okay, this website just has a huge hate-on for Blu Ray. You'll learn to tune it out.

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Like the Toshiba XDE commercials I heard on the radio over the weekend? LOL. "Get an upscaling player for *near*HD quality from your DVDs".

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
It's okay, this website just has a huge hate-on for Blu Ray. You'll learn to tune it out.

SheepStar
Whew! This conversation just went right over my head.

Garcia says - "the movie was surprisingly good" and that he'll get the Special Edition.

Sheep answers back about a "hate Blu-ray here"

To which Garcia answers ...

j_garcia said:
Like the Toshiba XDE commercials I heard on the radio over the weekend? LOL. "Get an upscaling player for *near*HD quality from your DVDs".
Were you guys talking to each other?

I gotta do some digging in the forums or something, there are some serious inside jokes I'm not getting.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My first comment was about the movie itself. Sheep is commenting on the fact that Blu is not in high praise here and mine was in response to that regarding XDE, Toishiba's follow up BD competition now that HD DVD is dead. Not exactly inside jokes, but things that you would need to be up on to find humor in maybe?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Whew! This conversation just went right over my head.

Garcia says - "the movie was surprisingly good" and that he'll get the Special Edition.

Sheep answers back about a "hate Blu-ray here"

To which Garcia answers ...

Were you guys talking to each other?

I gotta do some digging in the forums or something, there are some serious inside jokes I'm not getting.
What JG said. I have never seen one article from you guys about the new formats that doesn't bash Blu ray. No one likes a sore loser.

SheepStar

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Well your tag line slandering Sony for wanting to release a fairly good movie on Blu Ray was a pretty big tip.

SheepStar
That would be libel actually. If it were a malicious attempt to defame Sony.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
I have never seen one article from you guys about the new formats that doesn't bash Blu ray. No one likes a sore loser.

SheepStar
Dude... does someone have a case of the Mondays? ;)

If you actually read beyond the tag-line you'd see the review criticizes a blatant double-dip with almost nothing to offer over the original disc released in '06. But it's high praise for the film and the disc's quality if you don't already own it.

This MirrorMask review is a recommendation of a great diamond in the rough Blu-ray disc.

This article grades studios on Blu-ray releases giving high praise to consistently good performer - including Sony.

Here a Sony Blu-ray player is actually recommended over a budget no-brand player.

If you're referring to views express during the format war... you're barking up some very old news. A retread of audio/video history would belong in a different thread.

I have personally championed Blu-ray as the best way (today) to view high-def movies with high-resolution multi-channel audio.

But that's just my personal opinion. It shouldn't deter anyone from enjoying media any way they see fit.

Don't worry, Sheep - smile and be happy! :) Everything is all-right. There are no sore losers here, nobody lost anything.

Alissa

Alissa

Enthusiast
I <3 Blu-ray

Well your tag line slandering Sony for wanting to release a fairly good movie on Blu Ray was a pretty big tip.

SheepStar
Hey now...my carefully use of the word "many" should save me from slander and libel charges! As in "many" people found stranger than fiction was a surprise on Blu-ray.

If anything I would applaud Sony for putting out this film, and any other that might appeal to a broader audience than the action demographic.

But there are many reasons stated in my review for why there was no need for a Special Edition re-release. I say, put some effort into it if you're going to release something under Special Edition. One or two more featurettes and some boring deleted scenes doesn't cut it, and that's got nothing to do with format.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't feel the review was anti-Sony, but the general "feel" around here has previously been less than favorable towards BD; I do see that changing to some extent though :) I agree, there was no reason for them to double dip this one.

I personally feel a tingle up my leg every time a BD disc goes on sale for less than $20 or a player dips below $200. Prices are coming down and that's awesome.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
The Sony somethingoranother 55 player (7.1 analog out) player was on sale for $360 here. Still, I can't buy one until I know the price on the Oppo.

SheepStar

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis