Dayton Audio Titanic Mk III Subwoofer Kit Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Titanic MK III kit is a good smart design that is very easy to put together. I could really crank up the volume on this sub without the same fear that I have with my current subwoofers or other vented systems of bottoming out or overstressing. For under $750, you get a 15 inch subwoofer in a small cabinet, a 1000 watt amplifier and very good performance. For any handyman searching for a great sub at a great price, you should take a hard look at the Dayton Titanic MK III.

Discuss "Dayton Audio Titanic Mk III Subwoofer Kit Review" here. Read the article.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
While the price tag doesn't necessarily scream DIY value, I can absolutely see the value in this unit as opposed to a manufacturer built unit. I've always wondered about the Dayton Titanic drivers and almost always read positive feedback on them. This looks like a very simple kit to assemble and for someone that needs a small footprint and still wants a good hitting sub for movies, this looks to be a definite contender... -TD

annunaki

annunaki

I did one of these for my parents using the 500 watt amplifier. It performs very well in their 5000ft^3 room. It has usable in-room response to about 22hz. When set hot it can easily be too much for their room.

Watch for sales on these kits as they do present a very good value for someone unable to construct a full DIY system on their own.

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
What was the max SPL of this driver? The box size limits the excursion of the driver to safe levels which I think is cool but how loud does it play? Is there enough xmax on this driver to boost the low end with some EQ if needed?

An enjoyable review to say the least.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
I believe this is the driver they use in this kit. It's FR is 19Hz, FS is just under 20Hz and it's power handling is 800w RMS, so I'd think it could handle a bit of boost, though I wouldn't go crazy. Xmax is 20.5 mm, which isn't amazing for a 15", but is pretty decent.

I'd say this would work fine for most in any room under 3500 cu. ft., unless your a huge bass head... -TD

A

allargon

Audioholic General
While the price tag doesn't necessarily scream DIY value, I can absolutely see the value in this unit as opposed to a manufacturer built unit. I've always wondered about the Dayton Titanic drivers and almost always read positive feedback on them. This looks like a very simple kit to assemble and for someone that needs a small footprint and still wants a good hitting sub for movies, this looks to be a definite contender... -TD
A DIY'er saves about $150 over a built unit. I saw one of these assembled go for just over $300 on E-bay. I wanted it, but my gf put a limit on my electronics spending, until I show up with some jewelry.

Matt34

Matt34

I think a pair of these in a "2-channel" setup would be killer.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
I think a pair of these in a "2-channel" setup would be killer.
Agreed, though I think the Titanic drivers would be better suited for movie soundtrack usage with their emphasis on SPL as opposed to critical music listening... -TD

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
A DIY'er saves about $150 over a built unit. I saw one of these assembled go for just over $300 on E-bay. I wanted it, but my gf put a limit on my electronics spending, until I show up with some jewelry.
Daaaayum, that would be a hell of a deal.

Hmm, would a candy necklace qualify as jewelry? :D -TD

Matt34

Matt34

Agreed, though I think the Titanic drivers would be better suited for movie soundtrack usage with their emphasis on SPL as opposed to critical music listening... -TD

Your right, I was thinking they used the HF driver for these.

annunaki

annunaki

The Titanic Mk III driver is quite linear for the most part. It is no W7, W6v2, or Kappa Perfect VQ but it does a good job. Use of some EQ on the low end would be aceptable if the driver stays within mechanical tolorances.

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
seems kinda expinsive for what it is. for that kind of money i would get an hsu or an svs

annunaki

annunaki

A HSU or SVS takes up a fair bit more space. With the Dayton and an EQ one gets similar response and output with less space.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
How 'bout a "Pearl Necklace"? :p

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Nah, she already got one of those. Oops! Probably shouldn't have told him that... :eek:

A

allargon

Audioholic General
How does this puppy compare to the AV123 MFW-15? The MFW-15 is vented whereas this one is sealed. The MFW-15 is much cheaper as well.

I just snagged one of these on Audiogon. (I got some jewelry to keep me out of the doghouse as well.) The consensus on reviews is that the cabinet sucks, but the driver and amp are solid.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
I will say that it drops like a rock around 30-35 Hz (perhaps 37 according to the review.) I haven't really tried placing it in a corner or into a new cabinet ;) yet. I just did a few test tones off a free Audio DVD I got online. No SPL meter needed. (I have one!) I will see if I can make the Parametric EQ compensate. However, I'm 99% sure it just needs to go into a vented tempest cabinet.

Yeah, I adjusted the parametric EQ a bit. It won't do anything below 25 Hz. Blech! I need two of these (drivers!) for my space anyway.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
I'm sure you'd get all the depth you'd want with a larger, vented cabinet w/this driver... -TD

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
How does this puppy compare to the AV123 MFW-15? The MFW-15 is vented whereas this one is sealed. The MFW-15 is much cheaper as well.

I just snagged one of these on Audiogon. (I got some jewelry to keep me out of the doghouse as well.) The consensus on reviews is that the cabinet sucks, but the driver and amp are solid.
The sealed cabinet is a big compromise for drivers, and with most drivers, it means substantial impairment vs. other designs that are ported. There are exceptions of course. Take a super woofer, like a JL W7 or TC Sounds TC3000 or ULTRA LMS, and it will excel even in sealed systems, due to the insane excursion, motor linearity and power handling ability these units possess. But, 99.99% of all woofers do not come close to the characteristics of these super woofers. The Titanic is a good quality unit, but like most, suffers highly when compared to a vented design. Use it in a vented design, and it will radically improve in performance.

-Chris

S

Smigletat

Audiophyte
TC SOunds LMS Ultra 5400 15" Subwoofer

I am still interested in the Ultra sub. I really want a subwoofer that is gonna be able to handle 4,000 RMS watts with a 4" coil, so I am leaning toward the Ultra 5400. PM me chris and let me know what you can get me 1-for?
Thanks Chris!:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis