Sanyo PLV-Z60 LCD Projector Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
It's been a little over two years since we played with Sanyo's last projector offering. Indeed, the company took a short break in their recent string of annual product releases to bring consumers a new 720p home theater projector in the affordable PLV-Z60. The new projector is an incremental update to the PLV-Z5... which was an incremental release to the PLV-Z4. To be honest, our first impression is that somebody took the Z5, painted the chassis black, and threw a new release party for the Z60. While that's our honest first impression, a more complete evaluation will involve some serious Audioholics-style reviewing and lots of test material.

Discuss "Sanyo PLV-Z60 LCD Projector Review" here. Read the article.

C

crashkup

Audiophyte
Sanyo PLV-Z60 and Screen size

I read a review that cautioned that at the brightness level this projector works at the screen should not be too big. However it did not say how big is too big. so I am wondering, as i consider buying a PLV-60, is my 10 ft. wide screen too big?

If anyone can illuminate me, that would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Danny

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
100" is about the recommended max size under dark home theater conditions.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I read a review that cautioned that at the brightness level this projector works at the screen should not be too big. However it did not say how big is too big. so I am wondering, as i consider buying a PLV-60, is my 10 ft. wide screen too big?

Thanks,

Danny
If you want to test the waters of going big as you can, you might look into high gain screens, retroreflective, particularly the one I use, DaLite High Power. It takes more thought and/or compromises in taking advantage of the properties:

- you will want the PJ as close to the viewers' head as possible
- you will want to keep all viewers within a 20 degree viewing cone

When directly on-axis, the gain will actually be over 300%. It's rated as 2.8x, but I think or guess that in most scenarios something like 2x will be had. However, I also guess that a 10 ft wide screen is more than twice the viewing surface of a 100" screen.

Ok, nm, slightly less than double:

http://tvcalculator.com/index.html?45a7092fbf774c799862cf4bf623be1e

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

Thanks,

Danny
You would probably okay if you had a Carada Brilliant White screen

picture_shooter

picture_shooter

Full Audioholic
I saw this projector in action couple weeks or so back. I really like it, this is coming from a fan that used to own Optima :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis