A Primer on Trademarks

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Intellectual property is a matter that regularly plays into the lives of audiophiles. The most prevalent example is, of course, the copyrights in the music we enjoy. However, the ever-litigious Monster Cable reminds us of another area of intellectual property – trademarks. Trademarks, copyrights and patents are frequently confused for one another, as are the rights that each is designed to protect. Understanding the fundamentals of trademark will help prevent potential problems with famous mark owners as well as help smaller shops defend their own rights.

Discuss "A Primer on Trademarks" here. Read the article.

H

hodedofome

Audioholic Intern
Not to take away from a good article or anything, but when did this website become more about lawsuits than reviewing audio and video products? I see 3 or 4 articles about the MPAA/MonsterCable/RIAA for every article about new products/reviews.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Not to take away from a good article or anything, but when did this website become more about lawsuits than reviewing audio and video products? I see 3 or 4 articles about the MPAA/MonsterCable/RIAA for every article about new products/reviews.
since Monster has gone on a campaign to sue anyone using the word "Monster" in their business, we decided it was time for a Primer on Trademarks. When they stop suing, we will stop writing about it so my advice is to get used to it :D

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
since Monster has gone on a campaign to sue anyone using the word "Monster" in their business, we decided it was time for a Primer on Trademarks. When they stop suing, we will stop writing about it so my advice is to get used to it :D
Thanks Gene....
some things we may like and some things we may not enjoy so much, I think it is anyways a good read for people to get up to speed on this, perhaps some people around here are also doing their own small shops... so this is good things

I figure, perhaps.... the more people that know the hard facts behind this, the easier it will be to fight companies like Monster cable and the likes, so this is very important stuff....

There was a Scottish guy over here that had to close down his burger shop because his name coincidentally was "Mc Donald", so since when can you not name a shop using your own name, I absolutely hate when these things happen....

Which is why I will never ever buy any Sony :eek: or Monster cable :eek: product ever in my lifetime, and if somebody buy anything like this for me I will reject it :D

Actually, there are laws in EU now which means that if you, as a consumer, is stopped at customs with a fake Rolex watch or Loius Vuitton bags bought in Greece, you, the consumer, may get in excess of $ 15,000 fines because it's illegal to bring products across the borders that break trademark laws. It's not he who sell the goods that gets the fine but the consumer. This is really horrible but how the trademark laws are practiced and forced into regulation by big companies.

There was actually a story about one lady that got fined with $ 18,000 for one single fake Prada product at.... I think it was Spanish customs?? I believe this went all the way to supreme court and I'm not sure about the outcome.

You as US residents will face the same law regulations whenever you travel too

This is EU, may come to US too......

So yes, be very scared about this.

Indeed, this is very very important !

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Well, this section is called The Steam Vent for a good reason, no?
And, many of us have other interests and what is going on the the world around us besides audio.

So, this is a perfect place to discuss such topics, don't you agree?
Also, it is on a voluntary basis to participate;):D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis