IBM Hooks Up Rural Area for Broadband, Ham Radio Leery

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
One of the big impediments to serious implementation of downloadable HD content has always been broadband availability. Most of the pundits against streaming media use this as their primary criterion. IBM has taken up the mantel of "broadband over power lines" that has been tried many times in the past and failed. This could be the solution to getting broadband to people that not only don't have access, but live in areas where the big broadband providers will not spend the money to build the infrastructure because of the lack of population density.

Discuss "IBM Hooks Up Rural Area for Broadband, Ham Radio Leery" here. Read the article.

H

HudMaster23

Audioholic Intern
Oh man,i guess us hams and public safty gonna have to fight again with bpl(broad band over power lines).:eek::mad:

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

I've been a ham since Feb.1999, current callsign K4SCI. Broadband over powerlines has the potential to destroy the HF bands used for long range communications. I have about $10,000 invested in radio gear, and you can bet your fanny I'll help the ARRL (American Radio Relay League) fight this if it causes interference.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
As a rural resident who makes his living on the internet, I hope they are successful.

KC9R

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis