Seymour AV ICE Block Monoblocks

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Seymour AV was showing off their ICE Block amps at the Audioholics State of the CE Union event. They had two of their new Ice Block amplifiers on display. Both were the 1000w models (which retail for $1299) in the brushed stainless steel and black pearl blue five-coat glossy paint. The monoblocks come in 200w, 500w, or 1000w models and run from $899 to $1299. They are exactly half-standard width, allowing for a pair to fit on a standard shelf. Because they are ICEpower amps, they run extremely cool (and efficiently around 80% versus ~20% for a Class A and ~50% for A/B) so you can stack them if needed.

Discuss "Seymour AV ICE Block Monoblocks" here. Read the article.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Thanks for the thread. Those baby's are very sleek and stylish. I like them alot. 1000 watts for $1200 that not so bad at all....

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm with Jamie - thanks for the article. I like seeing what's out there for the new ICE modules. Cool running and lightweight. Two pluses in my book!

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
The price in the AH summary at the top of the article and the amp's web page list the price as $999-$1399, which is different from the text of the article at $899-$1299. Is that an AH SOTU discount price?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I really like the looks of those and they have the Ben & Jerry's (or at least Jerry's) stamp of approval.

S

Sherardp

Audioholic
Those look very nice. I just wish the price of Red Dragons would come down. Gotta love the ICE. These are an excellent value along with those offered from D-Sonic and Wyred4Sound.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
The price in the AH summary at the top of the article and the amp's web page list the price as $999-$1399, which is different from the text of the article at $899-$1299. Is that an AH SOTU discount price?

Actually, it is the store discount. I meant to specify that. I'll go back and edit.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
These class D, G, H and other high efficiency types of amplifiers are the way to go, I think. Now that they have reduced their distortion levels to below audible, there is no reason not use these more efficient designs. They are lighter, cheaper and more energy efficient. The pro audio world is turning to them as well. I use a class H amp myself for driving my public address system. I think this kind of product represents a meaningful improvement in audio wrought by technology.

itschris

itschris

Nice amps but hate odd form factors. Those are not standard width from what I can tell. It's not a huge deal, but when you have nice equipment, you sometimes like to display it in a nice cablnet and create that cool look of stacked equipment. I just don't get the odd sizing. Just my 2 cents.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Question. On the store page for these, the last photo shown for the black models (under "Photos" on the product description pages)...what is that? It almost looks like an image of a perforated black skin that allows the lighting to show through.

Just curious. Thanks.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I just placed a 10lb bag of ice on my Emo. I now have the biggest, heaviest ICE amp out there!

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Question. On the store page for these, the last photo shown for the black models (under "Photos" on the product description pages)...what is that? It almost looks like an image of a perforated black skin that allows the lighting to show through.

Just curious. Thanks.

If that's the one you are talking about its just a finish option description from Seymour AV.com:

Black pearl blue finish option Our newest top plate finish, a five-coat glossy black automotive clear coat paint with very subtle blue pearl flake. It's glossy, glass-smooth, automotive tough and deeply black with the blue pearl only visible under direct lighting. Credit goes to Jim and Nick for their efforts in creating this beautiful finish.
How else do I know? Well, I have been to his house and played with them! They look even better in person.

I just placed a 10lb bag of ice on my Emo. I now have the biggest, heaviest ICE amp out there!
Finally something good to say about the Emo, I think :p!

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Nice amps but hate odd form factors. Those are not standard width from what I can tell. It's not a huge deal, but when you have nice equipment, you sometimes like to display it in a nice cablnet and create that cool look of stacked equipment. I just don't get the odd sizing. Just my 2 cents.
When you put 2 of them side by side they are a standard component width. Not that it would work out with a 7 channel system. I guess you would just have to get 8 to even it up.:rolleyes::D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Another two questions:

1. These don't appear to have a power trigger. Are they just left on all of the time? If so, does anyone know what their idle power draw is?

2. Who would ever buy the 200W version, when you can get 500W for only $100 more? :D

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Another two questions:

1. These don't appear to have a power trigger. Are they just left on all of the time? If so, does anyone know what their idle power draw is?

2. Who would ever buy the 200W version, when you can get 500W for only $100 more? :D
I don't believe they have a trigger, just an on/off switch. Idle power draw:

200 watt amp: 7.5w
500 watt amp: 9w
1000 watt amp: 15.8w

This is from Seymour AV product page: http://www.seymourav.com/amps.asp

I have no idea about your second question. I have heard he is working on multi channel amps, but don't know when they are planned!

BTW I will alert him to this thread. He can probably answer questions better than I.

Edit: Just emailed Chris from Seymour AV. He should get into this thread soon enough, I think :).

majorloser

majorloser

Chris was telling me at the show that they are meant to be left on all of the time. In the near future they are planning on coming out with a multi-channel version that will have remote trigger capabilities.

As far as size, I believe putting two of these amps side-by-side is the same as a normal component width.

chriscmore

chriscmore

Junior Audioholic
- They are exactly 8.5" wide, so two side by side are a standard 17" wide component. Only one person has so far actually done 7 channels (it wasn't Fabio), and they're placing 4 on the rack shelf and the front three next to each speaker. They did 500w for the fronts and 200w for the rears.

- They sound best if left on all the time, and since the idle current is so low, I chose to nix a trigger input. They can of course be switched off, and after about 20 minutes start sounding like they should.

- There will be a 7-channel integrated amp released likely in Spring. The board is currently still in B&O's engineering group. It will have a 12v trigger input.

- The black pearl blue looks either regular black in ambient room lighting, and ranging from sparkly blue to flaming blue depending on how direct and intense the light is. The base coat is black, and the first glossy clear coat has the blue pearl flecks.

- I had one person tell me that they heard B&O was cranking up their prices. I just got a shipment of boards last week at normal cost, so as far as I know the costs are holding ok. As the dollar has strengthened against the Euro, I think they'll hold.

Cheers,
Chris

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
...after about 20 minutes start sounding like they should.
Thanks for all the info, Chris! I would appreciate some more insight on the statement quoted above. If it's explained on your website, feel free to just direct me there.

Thanks, again.

chriscmore

chriscmore

Junior Audioholic
The 200w and 500w sound a bit different than the 1000w. The former uses one pair of transitors in the output stage (one for V+, one for V-), and the 1000w uses two pair. The 200w sounds the sweetest in my opinion, as long as you either have sensitive enough speakers, keep the volume down, or are using a bi-amp configuration or otherwise crossed over to a sub. I use the 200w myself in a bi-amp config for the mids/highs. But for most speakers and normal listening, the 500w is my overall favorite because of its increased headroom. Those are the models I've sent out for review.

The 1000w is unique in its woofer control and dynamic capabilities. For irresponsible impedance curves, crazy dynamic sound levels, or where you're on the edge of needing or not needing a subwoofer, the 1000w is special.

Cheers,
Chris

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis