Copyright Royalty Agencies Go After Pirates: Preschools and Community Centers

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
When one thinks of a pirate, what’s the first thing to come to mind? Why, villainous children at preschools and community centers of course. The latest chapter in over zealous abuse of copyright fee collection is occurring in the UK where two groups, the Motion Picture Licensing Company (MPLC) representing Hollywood studios and the Performing Rights Society (PRS) representing composers and music publishers, are going after children at preschools in Ireland and charity based community centers in Scotland, respectively.

Discuss "Copyright Royalty Agencies Go After Pirates: Preschools and Community Centers" here. Read the article.

dorokusai

dorokusai

Full Audioholic
Is this really a suprise? I don't know where I sit on the fence on this issue yet but man o' day.....don't we have bigger things to worry about?

I would like to see the direct flowchart of this abuse in regards to the current economic state of Hollywood or the Music industry. They will continue to rake in millions.

The physical, B&M theatre levels are getting hit hard but hey man, I can watch a better movie at home now. Sorry, and I often do. I waited for Iron Man....and I'm a comic book fan! Turn up, or TUNE the sound, lower your prices on BS and maybe you'll survive.

Mark

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Is this really a suprise? I don't know where I sit on the fence on this issue yet but man o' day.....don't we have bigger things to worry about?

I would like to see the direct flowchart of this abuse in regards to the current economic state of Hollywood or the Music industry. They will continue to rake in millions.

The physical, B&M theatre levels are getting hit hard but hey man, I can watch a better movie at home now. Sorry, and I often do. I waited for Iron Man....and I'm a comic book fan! Turn up, or TUNE the sound, lower your prices on BS and maybe you'll survive.

Mark
Nod. They need to adjust to the market though. And quit putting out rubbish. If they can't find artists that can make a whole album, then they should go back to singles.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I honestly thought this was a really early April Fool's Day news article at first....

This is simply absurd. Shake down for playing some radio or a kids show episode on occasion for some kids? OMG.

I really need to see these current content distributors/organizations go completely bankrupt and crumble. Don't worry about not getting movies or music, it will always be in steady demand - just from different distribution systems/networks. This entertainment form is in too big of a demand for it to cease.

-Chris

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
I honestly thought this was a really early April Fool's Day news article at first....

This is simply absurd. Shake down for playing some radio or a kids show episode on occasion for some kids? OMG.

I really need to see these current content distributors/organizations go completely bankrupt and crumble. Don't worry about not getting movies or music, it will always be in steady demand - just from different distribution systems/networks. This entertainment form is in too big of a demand for it to cease.

-Chris
Werd. It would probably get better. I mean, how much music are you listening too off a major label now days anyways?

J

jamie2112

Banned
Dying companies will pull out all the stops. I think the RIAA sueing the grandpa for his grandsons downloads is a bunch of crap. I really cannot even grasp the story here....In my opinion the record companies are going to pay just like the mortgage companies did. And the record industry has been shady for decades.Karma is a bit** ...I love that artists are releasing music on their own lables. The MPLC and PRS are fighting a losing battle and this is their last stand...going after kids schools:eek: thats really stooping low.I am in complete shock over how entertainment companies can do this....

jinjuku

jinjuku

While I understand defending one's creative works, there is such a thing as discretion.

I can partially see this from the contents owners view since I own a software development company. The least that the copy right holders can do is work out a reduced fee or giving license.

Should pre-schools and such be holding public displays en-mass? Probably not. We sponsor a movie at the yearly summer fest and it costs $150 for the non-profit to obtain the rights for public performance.

A broad coverage, low cost license for selected works in the MPAA library would be equinimical and not give the royalty body a black eye.

Pick your battles for pete's sake.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
"Corporations have been enthroned…. An era of corruption in high places will follow and the money power will endeavor to prolong its reign by working on the prejudices of the people… until wealth is aggregated in a few hands… and the Republic is destroyed."

-Abraham Lincoln

jinjuku

jinjuku

"Corporations have been enthroned…. An era of corruption in high places will follow and the money power will endeavor to prolong its reign by working on the prejudices of the people… until wealth is aggregated in a few hands… and the Republic is destroyed."

-Abraham Lincoln
That's obvious...

jinjuku

jinjuku

Yes, but you'd think we'd learn something after 100 years.
We don't learn our lessons from stuff that happened a year ago. Guess what? Now that gas has been down to sub $2.50 truck and SUV sales have started inching back up.

This country is full of idiots that don't learn their lessons.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
When will the "licensing idiots" stop this madness

This thing, is just more horrible than horrible is, how much greed is it possible to show, Companies and organizations disclosing such attitudes and business practices must come to an end, we as consumers have the power to make that happen, if there are many enough opposing such things :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

jinjuku

jinjuku

When will the "licensing idiots" stop this madness

This thing, is just more horrible than horrible is, how much greed is it possible to show, Companies and organizations disclosing such attitudes and business practices must come to an end, we as consumers have the power to make that happen, if there are many enough opposing such things :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
They won't go out of business anytime soon. They have the law and consumers right were the want them. Money well spent on our congressional leaders I would say.

Think about this: The first few years of this decade lending requirements for home mortgages are eased up on. Hundreds of thousands of people are given home loans that shouldn't have gotten them.

Next: Change the bankruptcy laws...

Has the ring of a conspiracy theory, no?

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
They won't go out of business anytime soon. They have the law and consumers right were the want them. Money well spent on our congressional leaders I would say.
No I don't think that's going to happen too, but at least it's our obligation as consumers to say that we don't accept these things... And consumers may make a difference, what happens if enough of consumers get the idea and stop buying products from a given company......

M

mudrummer99

Senior Audioholic
This quite possibly is the worst thing I have ever heard. Not because because they are over stepping what would be considered common courtesy, but because someone at the top thinks this is ok. This is precisely what has been happening to our economy. People without morals or scruples have been running just about every aspect of our country. People that put more value into getting their next million than they do about taking care of their customers/employees/etc. Our country was founded on the ideals that if people work hard enough they can accomplish anything. Now it seems that people have learned that if they walk on those that work hard enough, they really can accomplish anything, and that is simply wrong. This may not be a good thing that is happening, but this is not the underlying problem, it is just an ugly symptom.

We all know the figures, XX% of the wealth is owned by X% of the population. This is the way things work. The ridiculously rich stay that way and it (quite literally) takes an act of congress to change that. Since many of those people are in the X%, that really isn't going to happen. But what could happen is not making life rougher on Joe 6P just so you can buy that 4th Ferrari. I am not a very religious person, but I sincerely believe in Kharma and all of the people will answer for their wrong doings at some point, Enron being a decent example. Yes, this rant has many tangents, mainly since I believe there are simply too problems to narrow it down to just a few key issues plaguing this country. I'll end there or I'll go on all night. Thanks for reading.

Mike

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
We don't learn our lessons from stuff that happened a year ago. Guess what? Now that gas has been down to sub $2.50 truck and SUV sales have started inching back up.

This country is full of idiots that don't learn their lessons.
The public has been well brainwashed into consumerism, shop until you drop, then when the pain is gone, resume the activity:eek:

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
The public has been well brainwashed into consumerism, shop until you drop, then when the pain is gone, resume the activity:eek:
Well of course, that's what all commercials are about, if you want a good happy life you will have to buy all of these really expensive things, but you won't get more happy....

The best things I ever experienced never cost me anything......

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis