Wal-Mart Encourages Piracy

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
When Wal-Mart started offering DRM free music in February 2008, it was heralded as a triumph over DRM. Now, consumers took a hit over the weekend from Wal-Mart who is shutting down their DRM music servers. Over the weekend, Wal-Mart issued an email to that effect. Their solution? Encourage their customers to "steal" their own music.

Discuss "Wal-Mart Encourages Piracy" here. Read the article.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Come on! You saying "encouraging customers to "steal" their music is a little much. Is readership going down for you?? Geez. This recommendation makes perfect sense. What else are they supposed to do? I guess they could provide non-DRM copies of previously purchased tracks to their customers. Regardless, they are not really stealing.

Pat

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
How is them recommending you burn the DRM songs (that you paid for) to a CD stealing? That article was way over the top.

jinjuku

jinjuku

To Gus & PatnShan:

I believe they are referring to this quote by a Sony/BMG attorney on cross from a RIAA attorney:

When asked by the RIAA's lead counsel whether it was wrong for consumers to make copies of CDs they have purchased, Jennifer Pariser replied in the negative. "When an individual makes a copy of a song for himself, I suppose we can say he stole a song," said Pariser. Making "a copy" of a song you own is just "a nice way of saying 'steals just one copy'," according to Pariser.

This is excerpted from ArsTechnica

Just thought you would like to know the nebulous context that the headline is most likely coming from.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
jinjuku is right - I agree that I wouldn't define it as stealing but the RIAA would. Technically, they could (and might) go after Wal-Mart for their suggestion. They've sued grandmothers, I don't know what would stop them other than fear of better lawyers on Wal-Mart's side. I figured most of our readers would be familiar with the RIAA stance on copying content. I should have explained that better.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
As far as I'm concerned any and all forms of DRM and copy protection encourage stealing. It makes unpaid/illegal usage and "ownership" easier in many cases than trying to be legitimate.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
jinjuku is right - I agree that I wouldn't define it as stealing but the RIAA would. Technically, they could (and might) go after Wal-Mart for their suggestion. They've sued grandmothers, I don't know what would stop them other than fear of better lawyers on Wal-Mart's side. I figured most of our readers would be familiar with the RIAA stance on copying content. I should have explained that better.
That was one comment by one Sony/BMG attorney.

It was NOT an official statement by the RIAA, nor is it an official position of any recording company.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I think the debate has been muddied enough. Inflammatory language doesn't help. IANAL but the statement that backing up media one has paid for is not stealing under US copyright law.

I hope that people getting hosed by DRM will be more wary next time and vote with their dollars for DRM free products. Also, the MAFIAA should learn that you can shear a sheep many times but you can only skin him once.

Jim

J

jamie2112

Banned
OK OK everybody send me your wally world bought discs and I will record them.....:eek::eek::D

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I don't believe I've ever bought a CD at wally world. In general I avoid that store even though I live right near one. Can't recall the last time I've been.

jinjuku

jinjuku

That was one comment by one Sony/BMG attorney.

It was NOT an official statement by the RIAA, nor is it an official position of any recording company.
It's patently obvious what RIAA/MPAA think of people trans-coding, for very valid reasons, content they have purchased.

What I don't like is the RIAA/MPAA push to criminalize such behavior. That way they can get the government to kick down your door for them.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
And the RIAA isn't stealing from the artists!!!????:eek::rolleyes:

That is one group I would like to diabnded forever and for the betterment of the music industry as a whole. What a crock of sh?t!!

W

westcott

Audioholic General
I do not know which is more evil, Wal Mart or DRM.

Well, I do NOT do business with either and I encourage others to do the same!!!!

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
Burning DRM'd songs to a CD so you can play them back in the future, is NOT the same as the Sony/BMG witness who said that ripping songs FROM a CD is "stealing."

This article was poorly written.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis