Vizio SV470XVT 47-inch LCD

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Vizio has always intrigued me. And their top of the line SV470XVT 47-inch LCD TV is no exception. It's the brand I get asked about the most - probably because it's available in a majority of big box stores like SAMs, Costco and Sears. Heck, even Dell sells them online. So it's almost a monthly (sometimes weekly) event where I'll get a call from somebody asking me about the latest Vizio deal they found while they were shopping for lawn gnomes and 5 pound bags of white rice. Vizio has quickly made its mark on consumers. My job, as I see it, was to see if that mark should extend to those readers who grace the pages of our magazine.

Discuss "Vizio SV470XVT 47-inch LCD" here. Read the article.

jnmfox

jnmfox

Audioholic
Hairspray???

DVD: Hairspray
I really liked this movie and it was certainly giving the Vizio's pastellarometer a good workout!
"Clint, please report to the front desk to turn in your man card as soon as possible, thank you."

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
i would guess that the 46" tv is probably the most popular size these days (or at least near the top) from looking at the big box websites. and even though it drives reviewers and videophiles crazy, the number one selling point for most consumers is going to be price. so why do so many reviewers ignore the 'entry level' flat screens? i cannot find one shootout online of 46" lcd/plasma's between $1100 and $1500 (well ok, there's ONE that compares a measly 2 sets) but i bet i could find AT LEAST 10 sets in that price point between all the big box stores. i would love to see an entry level shootout or at least more sets reviewed, especially considering this set didn't exactly embarrass itself in any way. thanx for this review!

B

babyblues89

Audiophyte
I agree. I've always been a fan of Vizio because of their price. They're cheaper than those big brands like Sony, and the quality and sound are still great. Especially with their new XVT line, with 120hz, it seems as Vizio is always on top of the game. I was comparing Vizio and Sony and the closest price I could find to the 47"XVT was the 46" Sony Bravia, and that was a few thousand dollars more! And if only Vizio got more recognition, like Sony and Sharp and Samsung do.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I agree. I've always been a fan of Vizio because of their price. They're cheaper than those big brands like Sony, and the quality and sound are still great. Especially with their new XVT line, with 120hz, it seems as Vizio is always on top of the game. I was comparing Vizio and Sony and the closest price I could find to the 47"XVT was the 46" Sony Bravia, and that was a few thousand dollars more! And if only Vizio got more recognition, like Sony and Sharp and Samsung do.
I have not heard a tv with a descent sound since the pioneer PRO-610 rptv, and that wasnt all that. Vizo has its place, but to say they are on top of the game is a little silly;)

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
I have not heard a tv with a descent sound since the pioneer PRO-610 rptv, and that wasnt all that. Vizo has its place, but to say they are on top of the game is a little silly;)
But relatively speaking no TV 2 inches thick is going to sound as good as some of the giant cabinets we used to have just because of the space available to create a well designed acoustic chamber. I do miss that big tv sound actually coming out of the TV though sometimes. I have to turn up my LCD pretty darn loud just to hear it if I choose to watch tv without the receiver on.

R

Reaver80

Audiophyte
They have a 50inch plasma version of the XVT coming out too. I wonder how it will compare to the LCD versions.

L

LukeR

Audiophyte
I'm interested to see about the 50" plasma too. The have it on vizio.com and with the HQV and SRS TruSurround HD it could be really amazing especially at the prices they are posting. Lemme know if you go for it.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
I can't believe people on an audioholics forum are even mentioning TV speakers as an option. Vizio's are good for the price, but a calibrated Vizio is no match for a calibrated Sony XBR, Panny plasma or Pioneer plasma. I doubt if a Vizio will even beat a Toshiba. However, Vizio's are good for the price. Plus, they beat those overrated Philips on features.

T

tmankiller72

Audiophyte
Hello, I just wanted to say that I own this TV ,picked it up for $999 at you guessed it Costco. It delivers a good picture with very good contrast ratio and color . Black levels aren't up to par with Sony XBR's or Samsungs . For the price it is a very good buy ....with that said it is no where near my calibrated Panasonic 58px 600u plasma ...mind you this is a larger screen that is "only" 768p being compared to a smaller 1080p screen and the Panny plasma still looks much cleaner and more natural.

G

gobats

Enthusiast
I totally agree. They shave on after sale customer support. To me that is part of the sale. The majors, specifically Panasonic do just that with their products. Five years off existance is hardly a bench mark of endurance. If Vizio abandons the entry level market, someone else will seize that opportunity.

G

gobats

Enthusiast
Sorry, I placed my response at the wrong place. It should have gone to bandphan. I agree with your review. I also think that if Vizio endures; recognition will come. It does appear that they have a corner on the entry level market. No one knows what the shelf life of Plasma and/or LCD is ,unlike CRT, Time will be the measure.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis