Metallica 'Death Magnetic' Sounds Better on Guitar Hero III

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Metallica is possibly the greatest rock band to do everything it can to alienate fans. The latest stain on the controversial metal act’s karma comes from questionable recording tactics on its latest album Death Magnetic. Hailed as Metallica’s best work in years, it’s simultaneously derided for featuring studio work consistent of an over-compressed TV ad.

Discuss "Metallica Death Magnetic Sounds Better on Guitar Hero III" here. Read the article.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Another Metallica and Rick Rubin bashing thread....yeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaa

If you look at Metallica and Rick Rubin's recent past, there is no real surprises here. Rick Rubin name has been brought up in the loudness wars before, one of his most notable works besides this mess is the Red Hot Chilli Peppers Californication album. Like Death Magnetic, due to the excessive compression in the remastering it suffered severe clipping.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
definitely going to check out and compare the GH3 rip for myself.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I own a bunch of Metallica CD's and they've never been known for their sound quality as is the case with most rock music. These are what I call car audio CD's b/c they are acceptable sounding in a car, but not my home theater :confused:

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
These are what I call car audio CD's b/c they are acceptable sounding in a car, but not my home theater :confused:
The irony in all this is Metallica actually has tailored this album to sound better on downloadable devices like ipods and little cube computer speakers than on a actual home theatre system. For a band that was so against Napster and downloadable music in general, you would think they would stray far far away from anything to do with this market...Metallica has become nothing but a laughing stock IMO.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
The irony in all this is Metallica actually has tailored this album to sound better on downloadable devices like ipods and little cube computer speakers than on a actual home theatre system. For a band that was so against Napster and downloadable ...
Intersting point Minus... kinda mind bloggling actually.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Compressed music makes Sheep St.Angry. I never really liked Metallica anyway, so I'm not at a loss from this.

SheepStar

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I can confirm the Guitar Hero rip sounds much better, and is quieter than the retail version. Probably not an album I will listen to that much anyway.

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
In The News

Congrats to Audioholics for being the newsbearer of loudness suckiness.

This just hit the press (as far as I know).

[EXCERPT]

Has the ritualistic cranking up of the volume of music tracks finally reached a tipping point? Now many of the fans of heavy metal outfit Metallica are complaining that the band's latest effort, Death Magnetic, is too simply loud. And yes, that's a bad thing.
Upon reading this I immediately lapsed into memory lane where Audioholics wrote:

Metallica is possibly the greatest rock band to do everything it can to alienate fans. The latest stain on the controversial metal act’s karma comes from questionable recording tactics on its latest album Death Magnetic.
Congrats to Audioholics for breaking news into the news world. Let's face it, the "mainstream" (is Yahoo "mainstream":confused:) media is just too slow to keep up.:eek:

Article

S

sploo

Full Audioholic
I've just picked up a copy of this on CD, and wow, I see what the fuss is about.

In terms of musical style, it's a very welcome return to the "Master of Puppets" and "...And Justice for All" era (easily my favourite Metal Licker albums). But, jeez, the sound quality...

The clipping and distortion are so high it's really unpleasant on the ears. If I'd gone into a music shop and listened to it on a pair of headphones, I'd have assumed the 'phones were damaged.

I saw a very good post on another forum, where a guy noted that a rock album should make you want to turn the volume up, whereas this one makes you want to turn it down. Surely that completely defeats the point of trying to make it loud during the production process.

Less "Master of Puppets" and more "Mastered by Muppets".

EDIT: Sign that petition! http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/re-mix-or-remaster-death-magnetic.html

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis