Blu-ray Prognosis: Samsung gives Five Years to Live, BDA says Life Eternal

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) founding member and hardware manufacturer Samsung doesn’t see much of a lifespan for the nascent Blu-ray optical disc format, but the format’s cheerleaders over at the BDA claim the optical disc is as ubiquitous as paper and predictably give the format a long, healthy life.

Discuss "Blu-ray Prognosis: Samsung gives Five Years to Live, BDA says Life Eternal" here. Read the article.

A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
One thing that has come up recently regarding downloads- someone has to provide the bandwidth. How much "space" will a 1080p movie with lossless, or even regular dolby digital audio, take up for a download?

Comcast just sent out notices that users are limited to 250GB per month for downloading. What is that, about 8-12 hi-def movies? If internet providers decide to go that route, it could be counter productive to go all downloadable content for movies, unless they would be treated differently as opposed to 'other' downloading.

Personally, I like my discs. I must be getting old.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
One thing that has come up recently regarding downloads- someone has to provide the bandwidth. How much "space" will a 1080p movie with lossless, or even regular dolby digital audio, take up for a download?
My thoughts too. Any bandwidth taken up for movie DLs will directly affect our bandwidth for internet/computers as well, correct?

Comcast just sent out notices that users are limited to 250GB per month for downloading. What is that, about 8-12 hi-def movies? If internet providers decide to go that route, it could be counter productive to go all downloadable content for movies, unless they would be treated differently as opposed to 'other' downloading.
Well, with lossless, I would expect definitely less than 8-12 all things being equal with lossless. I've been paying attention to the proportion of 25 GB discs to 50 gb discs, and IIRC its always been about split even, but the larger discs have climbing very slowly over the last while. Right now at BD stats it is :

BD25 276 46.46 %
BD50 318 53.54 %

Personally, I like my discs. I must be getting old.
I hear ya.

Ok, I have nothing against DL's. As long as they don't give us worse quality to fit in any bandwidth. If optical discs are the only way to get the best PQ and AQ, that's what I'll stick with.

And how much are they going to charge us for a DL? And that's just for a rental right? because if we want to "own" it, how much more will that just be?

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
There seems to be a wide spread misconception that downloading music is the defacto standard now. In reality, CD sales are still substantially higher than download sales.

Are CD sales declining? Yes. Are downloads on the rise? Yes.

But we are far FAR away from downloads having actually replaced CD sales. CDs are still the defacto standard and they will continue to be so for quite some time yet.

When we attempt to apply this same pattern to movies, it is even less likely that downloads will replace physical media. That is because movies are substantially different from music CDs. A typical music CD contains around 10-12 individual songs. In many cases, a consumer may only want 1 or 2 of those songs. Downloading those 1 or 2 songs from the internet rather than buying the whole CD is an attractive proposition because the cost is significantly lower this way. The size of those 1 or 2 song files is also quite small, so it is fast and easy to download.

But it is rare that a person would only want to download 1/10th of a movie. If a person wishes to watch a movie, they would most often want to download the entire 1.5 - 2 hour movie. So there is no obvious savings in terms of price and the file size is large, meaning longer download times and a need for far more hard drive storage space.

If the very compelling features of music downloads cannot even be enough to convince consumers at large to replace CD buying habits, it is even less likely that physical media for movies will be replaced by downloads.

The day may eventually come when downloads or streaming replaced physical media, but that day is most certainly far more than 5 years away.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Nice first post. Pretty good argument, IMO.

What I wonder is how long would it take to DL the ee versions of LOTR, all three when they are out on BD, replete with DTS-MA 6.1. Like . . . a week? More?! I hope would my computer or whatever I use doesn't flip out during that week. I have no idea, but I'm just curious.

Or the Godfather series. Or anything really.

H

Highbar

Senior Audioholic
Why do people keep comparing music downloads to video downloads??? That is my question. You can get a decent 320kps VBR file of any music off the net purchased or not for around 6MBs per song. That's great, a whole cd and we're talking no more then 100MB. At that a 160GB Ipod can hold enough music to keep anyone happy. On the other hand just one 1080p HD audio movie is 20GB if not more without the extras you get on a BD disk. That same Ipod only holds 8 movies at most. If we are to go to an entirely downloadable format we are talking 100TB drives and endless bandwidth to meet the same situation. Neither of which I see anytime in the future. I like knowing that when I buy something I own, IE having a disk in hand. Yeah sure I'll buy music off Itunes... only when it's something I really want and it's not available on cd, which alot of indie and non main stream bands do. But movies, I'll always want that disk, I'm looking to move to BD and don't want to have to worry about DLing a file every time I want to watch a movie "I own". I'm sorry that's not buying it to me that's renting. I see there being disks for quite a few years to come. If it's BD or the next best DISK I don't know, but there will always be physical media.

That's just my take on it.

T

D

Drag0nFly

Enthusiast
This is the content industry's wet dream.
They'll be able to charge you for the initial download, the bandwidth spent, a fee for every time you watch the movie, and whatever other aspects they can think of; and all the while they can block it using proprietary DRM schemes for whatever reason.

And while the bandwidth is certainly improving, why would anyone want to have to rely on an Internet connection to be able to enjoy movies?

Network congestion? Tough luck. Service outage? Get used to it. Content server down? Hey, we're not perfect.

I am NOT a believer of renting whatsoever. I'd like to know when I fork out the cash for something it is for me to do with as I damn well please, how often I please and wherever I please.

This whole argument about CD vs. video downloads is as the previous poster made clear completely ludicrous, as most iPod'ers will only want to download 2 or 3 tracks off any given CD in most cases, and we're here talking about only a tiny fraction of the 20-50gB required for a Blu-Ray feature.

The industry already had its chance to be able to sell consumers a format with excellent quality and better copy protection (better as in not cracked after 10 yrs.); it was called SACD.

But apparently the geniuses thought the thing would market itself, and it never gained much traction. :rolleyes:

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
The point about the very large file size of a BD quality movie with lossless audio has been mentioned several times and that brings up the great fear that I have. Which is that Blu-ray will end up being the best quality we EVER see in our homes in our life time, but that it will still fail and the defacto standard will wind up being something of lesser quality.

I personally think it is a very real possibility.

If movie downloads or streaming are to become a genuinely viable replacement for physical media, the file sizes and bitrates are going to have to be much much lower than on Blu-ray. There's really just no way around that. Even if we completely remove the idea of local storage from the equation, we'd be talking about everyone out there streaming absurd amounts of data!

So the only way that internet distribution could ever take place is with much smaller files and much lower bitrates. And that is exactly what we're already seeing! The most popular movie downloads and streams are NOT high definition resolution (I'm talking 1280 x 720 here) and certainly not lossless audio. No, the most popular movie downloads are less than DVD quality with highly compressed stereo sound. We're talking the bit torrent stuff here - that's the bulk of movie downloads right now.

And even when you go to a system like Apple TV or Vudu, the absolute highest quality even available from those services is 720p resolution and DD+ sound. But not high bitrate DD+ sound. It's the other end of what DD+ offers, which is 320 kbps regular DD quality in an even smaller file size and even lower bitrate.

The biggest problem is that the mass public seems perfectly content with less than DVD quality. Very few people are requesting, let alone demanding, Blu-ray. It's obvious that the public at large are more than happy with DVD and when they can get a bit torrent, less than DVD quality copy for free, they're perfectly happy with that!

Those of us here, online and in forums, we care about quality, so we have it in our minds that downloads would offer the same or something close to Blu-ray quality. The sad reality is that that is just not the case. The popular downloads have absolutely nothing to do with quality and everything to do with being able to watch a movie for free via a bit torrent download.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
They were actually giving LCD 5 years before OLED takes over and Pocket Lint has made an entire meat-up of the article.

Congrats to Audioholics for once again blindly posting misinformation.

DavidW

DavidW

Audioholics Contributing Writer
They were actually giving LCD 5 years before OLED takes over and Pocket Lint has made an entire meat-up of the article.

Congrats to Audioholics for once again blindly posting misinformation.
I am not sure why exactly you believe that Pocket Lint cocked-up the article, as you say, seeing that the article was based on an interview that they conducted with Mr. Griffiths.

While the article has certain logical discontinuities as it moves through conversation topics that generate some ambiguity, a careful reading will reveal that:

Mr. Griffiths was talking about Blu-ray and not OLED when he gave his 5 years to live prediction.

Samsung intends to make the best of its present Blu-ray investment and capitalize as best it can while the market for Blu-ray remains relevant.

Mr. Griffiths is suggesting that OLED televisions appear to be a strong contender for the next big product, replacing LCD, and therefore a more viable long term technology for the company to pursue to profitability.

Samsung is actively pursuing web connectivity for its televisions as evidenced by the recent partnering with Yahoo and that they are looking to make the television the central hub in a bid to displace the PC from that role.​

The last item strongly suggests that Samsung is looking to internet content as the future technology that replaces Blu-ray and actually intends to do what it can to help that along by providing a direct link between TV and the internet without a PC intermediary.

I don’t see any misinformation, and if it is, you are the only one aware of it.

Wall Street Journal Digital Network, All Thing Digital: The Andy Griffiths Show: Blu-Ray R.I.P.
DailyTech: Samsung: Blu-ray has 5 Years Left, OLED HD on the Way
IGN: Samsung Gives Blu-ray 5 More Years
PC World: Blu-ray Only Has 5 Years Left, Says Samsung UK Exec
Ubergizmo: Samsung sees Blu-Ray dead in 5 years?
Gizmodo: Samsung: Blu-ray Will Be Dead in Five Years
Crunch Gear: Samsung exec says Blu-ray likely won’t last more than five years
TVPredictions: Samsung Exec: Blu-ray Has 5 Years Left

Seems that reading the article as Mr. Griffiths saying Blu-ray has five years is a fairly common reading.

Last edited:
F

fredk

Audioholic General
All other issues aside, the biggest reason I see for Bluray not getting much traction is screen size vs. wow factor.

Even though the trend is towards bigger screens, 32" is currently the most popular and even with that trending up as larger sizes get cheaper, I doubt that anything larger than 50" will become comonplace in the near future.

I have watched exactly one High def (WM? format) movie on my 50" 1080 set and was not overly wowed by the increase in picture qulaity. Keep in mind that I am using the onboard video of a PC for scaling so I am not even getting the best quality out DVDs I watch.

Now, If Bluray players were within 10-20% of the cost of their DVD rivals and media was similarly priced, I would think that the upgrade was worth it.

I think I lay somewhere between your average Joe and videophiles. Your average Joe is not going to buy a $500+ player and pay double for movies just to watch something that is maybe somewhat better on a 42" screen and no better on a 32" screen.

Bluray suffers from poor timing (screen size, bandwidht issues), poor marketing and foolish corporate (over) competition.

If, in 10 years the average screen size creaps over say 42" and the cost of the technology comes down, we will see widespread adoption of an HD format. Otherwise, meh...

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'm confused...
http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/17399/18423/samsung-blu-ray-5-years-left.phtml

This is where the original story seems to come from, yet except for the banner headline which says "We believe it has 5 years left, I certainly wouldn't give it 10", there is not any mention of Blu-ray within the article other than saying they can't keep up with production.

In fact, the article does talk about how OLED will be pushed by Samsung in (they believe) 2010, and that it will replace LCD.

Seems to me the 'it' which is referenced in the tag line doesn't reference Blu-ray, but is referencing LCD as a technology. The definition of 'it' within that article is a long way from clearly defined, and there is no reference at all to the full interview whatsoever. Likewise, Blu-ray, as a highly profitably product is definitely going to likely end in just a few years as prices hit commodity levels, and production hits full stride. Instead of making significant profits on Blu-ray, Samsung will find the product profitability lifespan to be short.

Yet, that is a long way from the format being 'obsolete', or having any replacements.

D

Dave Moritz

Audiophyte
While I do see movie downloads catching on and becoming a larger part of the market. I do not see it replacing physical media in the near future. I still feel that the infrastructure is not good enough yet to support video download. There also needs to be a improvement in the download speed area to support movies being downloaded. I would not be against downloading a movie or renting a movie via a online service to see if I like it enough to buy it on Blu-ray or on what ever ends up taking Blu-ray's place. I think that most people for the foreseeable future are going to want physical copies of a movie and especially from a collectors stand point. I would defiantly not trust a hard drive to safely hold my movie collection if that was the primary delivery system! I realize that downloading movies and having them on a media server can be very convenient. But when your media server looses a hard drive and you can not walk to the shelf an pick up the movie and play it in another room, whats the point. Not everyone is going to want to run raid 5 configurations of hard drives to make sure there movie collection does not vanish with the hard drive. I think there is something to be said about owning physical media and having the art work and now having 1080p video and lossless audio to go with it. I feel that it is going to take some time before movie downloads become a big threat and when people start loosing movies because there hard drive took a dump. Those people will most likely move right back to physical media. I look at it from the stand point of the hassle of downloading every movie that was lost on a bad hard drive, what a pain!

For now I will continue to support Blu-ray and get my HD content via satellite service. Maybe one day I will add HD downloads to supplement watching movies via satellite. But physical media will for the foreseeable future will continue to dominate my home theater!

I also just want to add that Samsung is on crack!

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
I am not sure why exactly you believe that Pocket Lint cocked-up the article, as you say, seeing that the article was based on an interview that they conducted with Mr. Griffiths.

While the article has certain logical discontinuities as it moves through conversation topics that generate some ambiguity, a careful reading will reveal that:

Mr. Griffiths was talking about Blu-ray and not OLED when he gave his 5 years to live prediction.

Samsung intends to make the best of its present Blu-ray investment and capitalize as best it can while the market for Blu-ray remains relevant.

Mr. Griffiths is suggesting that OLED televisions appear to be a strong contender for the next big product, replacing LCD, and therefore a more viable long term technology for the company to pursue to profitability.

Samsung is actively pursuing web connectivity for its televisions as evidenced by the recent partnering with Yahoo and that they are looking to make the television the central hub in a bid to displace the PC from that role.​

The last item strongly suggests that Samsung is looking to internet content as the future technology that replaces Blu-ray and actually intends to do what it can to help that along by providing a direct link between TV and the internet without a PC intermediary.

I don’t see any misinformation, and if it is, you are the only one aware of it.

Wall Street Journal Digital Network, All Thing Digital: The Andy Griffiths Show: Blu-Ray R.I.P.
DailyTech: Samsung: Blu-ray has 5 Years Left, OLED HD on the Way
IGN: Samsung Gives Blu-ray 5 More Years
PC World: Blu-ray Only Has 5 Years Left, Says Samsung UK Exec
Ubergizmo: Samsung sees Blu-Ray dead in 5 years?
Gizmodo: Samsung: Blu-ray Will Be Dead in Five Years
Crunch Gear: Samsung exec says Blu-ray likely won’t last more than five years
TVPredictions: Samsung Exec: Blu-ray Has 5 Years Left

Seems that reading the article as Mr. Griffiths saying Blu-ray has five years is a fairly common reading.
David, you really are naive if you think that all those sites copying the article verbatim is some sort of proof that Andy Griffiths actually said, "Blu-ray has 5 years left", which he very definitely did not.

Just writing that article without the title and [] part would have received about 1% of the traffic...and about 1% of the repeat coverage.

This is more fabricated news intended to stir up consumer apathy towards Blu-ray. By now, there are plenty of "technology analysts" that look like complete plonkers. If you think Rob Enderle isn't somewhere seriously evaluating the reasons why he shouldn't drop the toaster in the bathtub...you're dead wrong.

:eek:;)

Rather than bank on Blu-ray, Samsung is backing the OLED technology they’ve been working on
Oh, so Samsung are suddenly exiting the Blu-ray market, the mobile phone market, the home appliance market, the audio market, the camera and camcorder market, the computer market, printer market, etc., etc., etc.

If they had substituted "LCD" or "plasma" for the word Blu-ray, the sentence might actually make sense. As it stands, yes, it's a complete meat-up.

Seems odd that Samsung would continue to pay fees to be on the BDA's board of directors for a media they think only has a 7 year lifespan.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If they had substituted "LCD" or "plasma" for the word Blu-ray, the sentence might actually make sense. As it stands, yes, it's a complete meat-up.
What's kind of weird Doby, is right at the end I really felt that the reference almost certainly was for Blu-ray, but the context was completely wrong.

For a major CE manufacturer like Samsung, the profitability of a product like Blu-ray goes out the door when it hits major production levels from Korean companies. When we see everyone and their brother making $100 profile 2.0 players, then what's really in it for Samsung to spend R&D dollars on developing incredible new players which can't cost much more than that?

So, if someone who is in charge of Samsung's profitability forcast were to look at Blu-ray, they would definitely say that the format only has 5 years left, maybe 10. But, they aren't at all talking about what the context would imply. In fact, it would mean just the opposite. It would mean that Blu-ray had hit such high adoption levels that everyone and their brother would own one.

5-10 years? When taken from that point of view, it's hardly a bad thing.

DavidW

DavidW

David, you really are naive if you think that all those sites copying the article verbatim is some sort of proof that Andy Griffiths actually said, "Blu-ray has 5 years left", which he very definitely did not.
Unless you were personally at the interview, I do not think you have a basis to say what Mr. Griffiths definitely did or did not say.

Nor do the other articles prove what he did say or did not say, my point was that this interpretation of the article is quite common.

You are entitled to your own opinion as to the interpretation but no ones opinion will change what the man actually said and the only people who have firsthand proof of that are Mr. Griffiths and the interviewer from Pocket Lint.

Its unfortunate that the article was relatively light on text from the actual interview and had some logical issues with jumping around that allow for the potential for ambiguity that you are latching onto.

The article appears to be highly condensed and it looks like the quote in question involved use of a pronoun that was replaced with the appropriate noun in [] from the context of the surrounding discussion. Doing such is common practice for any situation where a direct quote contains a pronoun and it does not mean that the quote was tampered with, just clarified.

Therefore, without any other direct witness to what was said, we only have the interviewer to rely on for applying the correct noun and it seems that he chose [Blu-ray] as that noun.

If in fact, Mr. Griffiths did not mean Blu-ray, I imagine its up to Mr. Griffiths to clear that up. As far as I know, he has not come forward to call this out as an error in reporting the interview. So unless he comes forward to refute what was printed, there is no other interpretation.

Oh, so Samsung are suddenly exiting the Blu-ray market, the mobile phone market, the home appliance market, the audio market, the camera and camcorder market, the computer market, printer market, etc., etc., etc.

Seems odd that Samsung would continue to pay fees to be on the BDA's board of directors for a media they think only has a 7 year lifespan.
No where does the article say that Samsung is exiting any other market including Blu-ray. What it does say is that they think OLED may be the next big product to make money on.

The article actually says that Samsung expects Blu-ray to do well in the short term and plans on making money on it while they can but they do not expect to be doing so 5-10 years down the road.

You may not like to hear what was printed in the Pocket-lint article, but unless Mr. Griffiths refutes the article, it would seem to be in fact what he said.

Good day.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Unless you were personally at the interview, I do not think you have a basis to say what Mr. Griffiths definitely did or did not say.
"Persuing the Truth in Audio & Video..."

That's what it says at the top of the site, at the top of every page when I am here. No offense, but a second grader would read that and not have a clue what exactly is being discussed, a journalism major should look at the 'interview' and toss it out the window.

The issue is the same no matter how it is read - there is nothing clear, defined, or specific about what is being spoken of, and when I Googled Andy Griffiths Samsung, one of the first hits proclaims how Blu-ray will be dead because OLED will replace it.

Is it beginning to sink in just how poorly written the original article was?

Then how can this site possibly be persuing truth when it reprints such a lousy piece of junk journalism while maintaining the headline tag, and not exploring further why a VP would make such a statement but include Audioholics personal take...
"Samsung doesn’t see much of a lifespan for the nascent Blu-ray optical disc format"

A VP is likely interested in a bottom line, and a large CE like Samsung sees major revenue from highest dollar products, and newest trends with minimal competition from cut-rate import companies. LCD is not the hot product for them anymore, it is now Blu-ray. OLED is likely the one to replace Blu-ray as the hot product.

Yet, the entire article is so poor, it only becomes newsworthy when taken out of context.

You see, if there is going to be a replacement for Blu-ray in the next five years which Samsung will be a part of, they pretty desperately need to be a part of it now. The real headache is that it can't be downloads because of the incredible failure of the Internet infrastructure and the increasing handicapping of residential Internet connections by ISPs.

ISPs are making HD DD a no show to the party, and nothing else physical is likely to line up at the door.

Even worse, the mention of DRM was put forth, which existed with VHS and has only gotten stronger since those days, but still can by bypassed... Until we go entirely to downloads and REQUIRED Internet connections, with live DRM update, checking, and status capabilities. Blu-ray is an open book in comparison to what will come along.

But, it's once again a definitive for Blu-ray to exist "not as the market chosen preferred format for movies and music" despite 350% annual growth.

At what point does Audioholics start to believe that the BDA, with the worlds top CEs involved, actually has a clue what they are talking about?

DavidW

DavidW

"Persuing the Truth in Audio & Video..."

That's what it says at the top of the site, at the top of every page when I am here. No offense, but a second grader would read that and not have a clue what exactly is being discussed, a journalism major should look at the 'interview' and toss it out the window.
That would be Pursuing, but truth is subjective and Googling other misinterpretations does not prove anything, so believe what you want, but the article clearly shows Mr. Griffiths speaking about Blu-ray despite a subsequent logical discontinuity that suggested to some that he thinks OLED will be Blu-ray's replacement.

Neither Mr. Griifiths nor Samsung have refuted what was printed by Pocket-Lint about the content of the original interview concerning Blu-ray's lifespan. So, unless they do, that is the only truth we have.

And as you can well imagine if Griffiths was speaking out of turn about company views, a large corporation like Samsung would very likely disown his statements publicly.

The issue is the same no matter how it is read - there is nothing clear, defined, or specific about what is being spoken of, and when I Googled Andy Griffiths Samsung, one of the first hits proclaims how Blu-ray will be dead because OLED will replace it.

Is it beginning to sink in just how poorly written the original article was?
The article was not particularly well written, but it is readable. If second grade reading comprehension skills are insufficient, I might suggest taking the next educational step and attend third grade.

What is interesting is that many of the articles I previously listed seem to have been aware of the logical discontinuity as well and clearly understood that Griffiths was not citing OLED as a direct replacement for Blu-ray.

Perhaps try reading beyond the first hit from Google.

A VP is likely interested in a bottom line, and a large CE like Samsung sees major revenue from highest dollar products, and newest trends with minimal competition from cut-rate import companies. LCD is not the hot product for them anymore, it is now Blu-ray. OLED is likely the one to replace Blu-ray as the hot product.
If one spends some time taking economics courses, one will find that there is actually opportunity to make more money by growing a market with lower prices than by trying to make maximum marginal profits but leaving a market small/nitch. A company with a monopoly position does not necessarily make more money than the same company would in a competitive market if the competition grows the market, but the fear of losing to the competition keeps companies aiming for monopolies.

This gets into the market elasticity of demand curves which are not really linear or even just slightly curved as shown in elementary texts, but if there is a disproportionate increase in demand when crossing below a certain price threshold, more total revenue can be made by increased unit sales that produces greater profits than keeping prices higher with a correspondingly higher profit margin.

Samsung will still make money when prices drop and demand increases, they seem to have managed well enough on low price DVD players, just like everyone else.

At what point does Audioholics start to believe that the BDA, with the worlds top CEs involved, actually has a clue what they are talking about?
There are many others besides Audioholics who feel that Blu-ray may have been a stop gap measure.

Even Sony is starting to push downloadable content through their best selling Blu-ray player, the PS3.

If that does not bring some irony to this whole conversation, nothing will.

It is a logical fallacy to assume that large corporations know what they are doing because they have gotten large. Rarely are these corporations still run by the visionaries who grew them in the first place. They are now run by caretakers with MBAs, often without any technical knowledge about the products the companies actually manufacture.

For a look at corporate wisdom about markets:

• We can look to the large corporations who form the RIAA who still have not figured out how to survive in the digital age and everyone has become a pirate, according to them.
  • We can look to our giant financial corporations who so bollixed the mortgage markets that the entire banking system is now so deeply in jeopardy that the government is going to spend $700 billion of yours, mine, and every other American's tax dollars to keep it from collapsing.
  • The American auto industry seems to have miscalculated about the market a bit as well.

I could go on, but companies come and go, including large companies.

The guys who run financial corporations like Lehman Brothers and Bears Stearns could probably buy some of these CE manufacturers, whole, with their yearly bonuses, but look at what's left of the financial markets after suffering their wisdom.

As for Audioholics' views about the viability of Blu-ray in the long term, I will let the other writers and articles speak for themselves.

Personally, I collect physical media and prefer it myself, but I don't see it surviving as the dominant medium in the future when faced with downloading. There are a lot of non-consumer electronics companies with vested interests in developing the market for digital distribution as fast as they can.

How long that will take has yet to be determined, but your opinion on the matter is no more or less valid than that of anyone else; what will happen will happen.

And when it does, if the MPAA shows as much foresight as the RIAA, they will fight the transition all the way, creating pirates out of would be consumers along the way as they cling to the past of selling shiny plastic discs and refusing to supply customers with the products and services they want in the way that they want them.

That is my opinion, you are welcome to yours, but without prescience, who ever happens to have guessed right about the future outcome, it doesn't make their guess right, just lucky.

Good day to you as well.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis