Westinghouse TX-42F430S LCD Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Westinghouse is known (by those that know them) for making LCDs at a very reasonable price. But price isn't everything in the world of displays and picture quality has to take precedence. The TX-42F430S is a 42" LCD whose street price leaves people wondering if it is too good to be true. In this case, that certainly seems to be the case.

Discuss "Westinghouse TX-42F430S LCD Review" here. Read the article.

S

s52e368

Full Audioholic
ill agree with you on the picture of these newer versions of the tx series.
i have one of the first gen tx47 and have nothing but good things to say about it and the picture is great. BUT my coworker recently bought a newer tx47 with a much different OSD and calibration settings (less accurate, for non tech savvy). the word on the street is Westy is building these newer units with cheaper parts compared to when they first came out and i can vouch for that first hand.

birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
These must be the ones I saw yesterday at Costco for $699.....

Get what you pay for?

These particular displays have the feel of a computer monitor more than a home theater display. Tom reviewed their current top of the line, btw. Doesn't bode well. We'll see what they do in the next go-around.

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
It makes me sad to see the old names that used to mean something (Westinghouse, Sansui, Maytag, Zenith, etc.) being bought up by these third-rate schlock merchants and passed off as quality goods. Guess they think no one will notice that the real companies are long gone, but the crap they're peddling only makes a mockery of what was once a quality brand.:(

Was that grumpy enough?:confused:

A

allargon

Audioholic General
I agree with most of what Tom wrote. I have a w32w6 in my bedroom. It exhibits a lot of the poor de-interlacing and random lockups mentioned in the article. It's also starting to suffer backlight bleed. However, Tom was a bit sloppy in using fill to take out the yellow line. That's why the overscan setting exists. I often use the overscan setting because my girlfriend hates the squiggly white closed captioning line at the top of SD broadcasts. Other than that nitpick, Tom's review was pretty much spot on of what I've experienced with my previous generation Westy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis