Upscaling is your Friend?

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Gefen, Toshiba, DVDO... they all want to sell you on the joys of upscaling. Some of them incorporate their technology into their displays or dvd players (Toshiba) while the others want you to purchase a standalone box. The technology is valid - we know this from many, many tests but do you really need it? This year at CEDIA we explore some of the scalers that are out there and what they mean to you.

Discuss "Upscaling is your Friend?" here. Read the article.

O

ohio

Junior Audioholic
I see upscaling as soon to be dead, not only as a standalone but even in high end receivers. It's easier and cheaper to upgrade your sources, which are converging to HD anyway. What would you use them for? Incremental improvement from 720p or 1080i to 1080p? Most displays have embedded scalers that can do that pretty well, and they're getting better.

Hmmm, $700 scaler for my DVD player so it looks as good as BD at best, or $300 BD player? Hard choice...

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I see upscaling as soon to be dead, not only as a standalone but even in high end receivers. It's easier and cheaper to upgrade your sources, which are converging to HD anyway. What would you use them for? Incremental improvement from 720p or 1080i to 1080p? Most displays have embedded scalers that can do that pretty well, and they're getting better.

Hmmm, $700 scaler for my DVD player so it looks as good as BD at best, or $300 BD player? Hard choice...
I agree. MY Olevia 747i has a built in scaler and my DVD player upconverts too. The picture looks good from 6 feet away and pretty much flawless from the second row.

SheepStar

A

autoboy

Audioholic
Upscaling is too important as a marketing buzz word to ever disappear from products. It will only get worse as more and more products come out that "upscale." We will all be tasked with having to fix every setup you encounter from being upscaled 3 times before it reaches your eyes.

Who knows, maybe some will even try to upscale 1080p to 2160i at 180hz and people will be clamoring for it. As this current US election shows us, the foolish are quick to act while the wise are left to clean up the mess they leave.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
I see upscaling as soon to be dead, not only as a standalone but even in high end receivers. It's easier and cheaper to upgrade your sources, which are converging to HD anyway.
Really? There are hundreds (if not thousands) of channels that are SD only right now. My local Univision station broadcasts in ATSC (digital) but not SD. Whenever I see someone posting that scalers and video processors aren't necessary I know that person watches mostly movies and not much TV-TV.

My gf still watches plenty of stuff on Oxygen, E and Style that's not available in HD. Yeah those are major channels that will eventually be HD, but they don't even have simulcast upconvert channels right now. Most upscaling DVD players (although my Philips recorder will) won't do much with a cable signal. Therefore, I still see a need for a scaler (My display does a horrible job.) when I want to watch "Iron Chef America" in proper 4:3 on Food Network SD rather than the stretch-o-vision version on Food Network HD.

Rogozhin

Rogozhin

Audioholic
Really? There are hundreds (if not thousands) of channels that are SD only right now. My local Univision station broadcasts in ATSC (digital) but not SD. Whenever I see someone posting that scalers and video processors aren't necessary I know that person watches mostly movies and not much TV-TV.

My gf still watches plenty of stuff on Oxygen, E and Style that's not available in HD. Yeah those are major channels that will eventually be HD, but they don't even have simulcast upconvert channels right now. Most upscaling DVD players (although my Philips recorder will) won't do much with a cable signal. Therefore, I still see a need for a scaler (My display does a horrible job.) when I want to watch "Iron Chef America" in proper 4:3 on Food Network SD rather than the stretch-o-vision version on Food Network HD.
I have the same problem, though all of my video games that she won't play are beatific. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis