New Oppo BDP S83 Blu-Ray player!!!

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Looks like the new Oppo Blu-Ray player is at CEDIA here is a

Audioholics Sneak Peek

link to photo's over at AVS

No idea of price an the pics are a little grainy. He must have been taking them with a hidden camera.:)

I really like the looks of that player and it may even be a true universal player with SACD and DVD-Audio. It does have 7.1 multichannel and an ethernet connection. Accounding to the OP it is 1.3 and profile 2.0.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the heads up!

As for the pictures, they look like mine do half of the time. Okay, most of the time...

J

jamie2112

Banned
Finally! I have been waiting to see this ....glad its finally coming to the marketplace.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That's what I've been waiting for :) Based on the pic, only has 5.1 analog out.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
You mean I'll finally be able to use one player to play BR, DVD, DVD-A and SACD.....awesome! I see the SACD and DVD-A logo's on the front, that makes me happy! :D:D

Looks like it has an Anchor Bay VRS chip.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It seems like this demo is coming from Anchor Bay or some such and we have yet to hear any 'official' announcement from Oppo on this. It's really disappointing that they didn't use this huge event to really put a focus on this player, even if it was through the Anchor Bay booth.

7.1 analog out, stereo out, digital coax/optical, composite, component, HDMI, control (of some sort) along with DVD-A & SACD playback...

It's what it LOOKS like it does, but there's just not a great way to tell and the only photos I've seen so far (AVS), are pretty weak to say the least. I'd love to see a few hi-res pics along with some real stats and maybe an estimated MSRP to go along with it.

Oh yeah, and a release date!

That - and the Sony 400 Disc BD changer specs would be nice.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Oh man, this is what I been waiting for. Thanks so very much for the info.

Cheers,

Phil

D

davelee98

Audioholic Intern
J

JackT

Audioholic
I will buy that player.

A little off-topic: Wouldn't it be nice if players with nice video processors could function as video processors for external video sources? I know that would mean more cost because more types of video would have to be handled, but if it basically has the DVDO processor anyway.....

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Me too man! Me too. Glad I've held out.
Woah, a new avatar! Almost didn't recognize ya. :)

With all the talk that Oppo gets around here, and the positive customer reviews elsewhere, I'm pretty excited about this unit, too.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
This just caused me to put on hold my plans to accommodate a Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD. This Oppo looks like THE player for me! As long as it decodes all of the audio formats and doesn't take nearly two minutes to boot up I'm sold!

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Woah, a new avatar! Almost didn't recognize ya. :)

With all the talk that Oppo gets around here, and the positive customer reviews elsewhere, I'm pretty excited about this unit, too.
Had to pull out the team colors:).

F

fresno1232001

Enthusiast
You see a DVD-A logo? I don't- can't

I see a total of two pretty poor photos of this player here on Audioholics. I can't see any DVD-A logo front or back. Are you sure you see DVD-A?? I shall be over-joyed if you do, but maybe you are seeing photos here that I can't see.

The Specs, if you click on that, says support for SACD and HDCD. Does HDCD mean DVD-A?? Really? Oppos current flagship, the upscaling dv-983h supports both SACD and DVD-A, so it would seem wierd to me that they would elect to support one but not the other in this player. One guy keeps producing (absolutely, utterly fantastic) DVD-A disks, Dr. Mark Waldrep at www.aixrecords.com. He goes to all the trade shows. Hard to believe he does not know the folks at Oppo. Why would they cut him out? I own ~30 of his DVD-As, and if this player will play them, I shall buy TWO of these.

And if it does play DVD-A, it will be the first BlueRay player to do so! In the Audioholics comments, it says "we are surprised, and in a good way, that it supports SACD". If is does not support DVD-A, I am very surprised you did not say you are surprised and disappointed that it does not. And if it does support DVD-A, I am surprised that you mention its supporting SACD and don't mention that it supports DVD-A too. You at Audioholics have heard of DVD-A, right? Just kidding, since I know damn well you have. So what is up with the comment that this supports SACD and no comment either way about DVD-A?

I bought a Panny S-97 DVD and DVD-A player largely based on how well it did in a shootout Audioholics did on DVD players. Being a Panasonic, it does not support SACD, and so I own zero SACDs.

Does this unit support DVD-A? I see no logos anywhere to suggest that it does.

:confused:
You mean I'll finally be able to use one player to play BR, DVD, DVD-A and SACD.....awesome! I see the SACD and DVD-A logo's on the front, that makes me happy! :D:D

Looks like it has an Anchor Bay VRS chip.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I can't say for certain from the pictures that it's DVD-Audio, either. The only part that I can read is "DVD", and I think that the DVD-Audio and DVD-Video symbols are identical except for the words "Audio" and "Video" that appear below them.

It would be nice to get confirmation, but I'm sure that Clint and the gang will hook us up long before this player becomes available.

EDIT: Another site reports that the DVD-A symbol is visible on the front. I'm still looking around for other photos that are any better than the ones provided here already.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Man, this is like looking at pictures of big foot. Is it a man in a suit? Is it an unknown species? Can't tell, the photos are too blurry. :D

Some more that look like they say "video" to me (well, the back panel one does). I'm showing them just to keep the suspense going. :) Still looking for better ones.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hmmm, further down in that AVS thread is a post that says that there is no DVD-A logo on the front. There are more pictures, but because I'm not a member, I can't view them.

Okay, enough of this. Time to go watch some more TV. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis