Axiom Audio Epic Midi 400 Speakers Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Axiom Audio's Epic Midi system is a great "home theater-in-a-box killer" that starts at just $1338 and is built around the small M2 (v2) speakers. To get the most out of it, however, you'd want to opt for the much more sophisticated and powerful EP400 subwoofer - a $600+ premium that lands the system among stiff competition in the ~$2000 5.1 home theater speaker market. While expensive, the EP400 was the most impressive part of this system and stole the show as it certainly outperformed the expectations we had for what an 8-inch subwoofer could do.

Discuss "Axiom Audio Epic Midi 400 Speakers Review" here. Read the article.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Clint, how do you think a 3rd M2 would perform as the centre channel as opposed to the VP100 in that configuration?

I am deciding whether to get a 3rd M3 or the VP100 for the matching centre for my M3's and QS4's. Any further input on the VP100 would be very helpful.

A third M2 would probably be OK provide you were sitting close enough. That center channel isn't stunning enough for me to insist people get it in smaller rooms. Try to mount all three front speakers vertically. That wasn't possible in this room.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
A third M2 would probably be OK provide you were sitting close enough. That center channel isn't stunning enough for me to insist people get it in smaller rooms. Try to mount all three front speakers vertically. That wasn't possible in this room.
I would not be able to place the M3 as a centre standing up (it would have to go on its side).

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I would not be able to place the M3 as a centre standing up (it would have to go on its side).
I am not a fan of placing MT type 2 way speakers on their sides due to lobing issues. It can work if you don't sit too far off axis but the same argument can be made for a phantom center as well. I suggest using a dedicated center if you can otherwise placing a bookshelf vertically mounted as intended.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
Great review, thanks!

Clint, how do you think a 3rd M2 would perform as the centre channel as opposed to the VP100 in that configuration?

I am deciding whether to get a 3rd M3 or the VP100 for the matching centre for my M3's and QS4's. Any further input on the VP100 would be very helpful.
\

FWIW, I have a VP100. I've been reasonably happy. However, it doesn't seem to compete with my M60's and I usually have to turn the center channel level trim up during movies so I can hear the dialog clearly (even after level matching with a SPL meter). I'm looking into using Axiom's Trade-up program to get myself a VP150 instead. With the trade it's only $199.00.

How do you like your QS4's? I currently have some pretty mediocre surrounds, and I've been thinking of eventually getting QS4's or 8's. I do listen to quite a bit of multi-channel music as well as movies.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Great review, thanks!

\

FWIW, I have a VP100. I've been reasonably happy. However, it doesn't seem to compete with my M60's and I usually have to turn the center channel level trim up during movies so I can hear the dialog clearly (even after level matching with a SPL meter). I'm looking into using Axiom's Trade-up program to get myself a VP150 instead. With the trade it's only $199.00.

How do you like your QS4's? I currently have some pretty mediocre surrounds, and I've been thinking of eventually getting QS4's or 8's. I do listen to quite a bit of multi-channel music as well as movies.
I might end up going with the VP150 (I know I will be eventually upgrading to the m60's or 80's in time). It will probably be overkill with M3's. I'll shoot Axiom an email on their advice as well.

I have the QS4's in a 13ft *15ft room. They do an excellent job filling the room with lush, accurate surround effects. I love them:). The sound they provide is not easily localized either. Just like Clint said in the review, the QS4 are easy to drive. I can easily push those speakers on an entry level Denon 688. If you have a larger room and are running the M60's for the little price difference between the the 2 models go with the QS8's:):D:cool:.
BTW, I mounted the QS4 with the standard T-Bracket that comes with them.

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
When the EP400 first came out it was ported, However I am not sure when or why they decided to give the port the boot.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
When the EP400 first came out it was ported, However I am not sure when or why they decided to give the port the boot.
probably so it could play lower without port noise issues.

J

joabraun

Enthusiast
Great timing as I am just about to take the plunge. I was considering the epic midi 400 system but after reading great things about the M22 I was considering thier grand master system. My room is 1900 square ft and I like movies but music is slightly higher on my list of priorities.

How about an Epic Midi 400 system with M22 fronts instead of the M2s?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Great timing as I am just about to take the plunge. I was considering the epic midi 400 system but after reading great things about the M22 I was considering thier grand master system. My room is 1900 square ft and I like movies but music is slightly higher on my list of priorities.

That is a wise upgrade if you've got the $$$ to do it. Somewhere down the road you may also want to add an additional sub for better bass response across all listening seats. Good luck.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I am not a fan of placing MT type 2 way speakers on their sides due to lobing issues. It can work if you don't sit too far off axis but the same argument can be made for a phantom center as well. I suggest using a dedicated center if you can otherwise placing a bookshelf vertically mounted as intended.
I thought the lobbing issues existed win any Mt or MTM arragne on it's side, more specifically, with an MTM.

SheepStar

F

fredk

Audioholic General
joabraun. I agree with Gene on the M22. When I listened to the M22+ sub vs the M60 I found very little difference between the two, better bass with the sub excepted.

With the M22 I think you will get a great system for music.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I thought the lobbing issues existed win any Mt or MTM arragne on it's side, more specifically, with an MTM.

SheepStar
Its much worse placing a 2 way MT sideways than a MTM. Also lobing issues of a properly designed MTM are grossly overstated and although are measurable, they are rarely audible if you sit within 20-30 deg off axis from the speaker.

J

joabraun

Enthusiast
joabraun. I agree with Gene on the M22. When I listened to the M22+ sub vs the M60 I found very little difference between the two, better bass with the sub excepted.

With the M22 I think you will get a great system for music.
FredK,
Thanks for the input. Looking forward to getting the HT/Music room setup. Now if Denon would just start shipping those 2309s or 2809s.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja

If you end up going with this system I would love to hear your impressions of the M22 when/if you get them:). Good luck!

the grunt

the grunt

Audioholic
gene said:
Its much worse placing a 2 way MT sideways than a MTM. Also lobing issues of a properly designed MTM are grossly overstated and although are measurable, they are rarely audible if you sit within 20-30 deg off axis from the speaker.
I experienced this with the VP150 and M22s. I never noticed any lobing with the VP150 for the two years I used it (changed to a M80 center to match the mains). I briefly tried 2 M22s on their sides above the TV and the lobing was terrible. Used as designed, standing up, the M22s sound fantastic.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis