Record Companies Open Pandora's Box

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Regardless of what you think about Pandora, the message from the record companies is clear: Get too successful and we'll shut you down. The "winners" here are NOT the record companies. It will take them a few years after they crush the last of the online radio stations before they figure out how much revenue they lost and then try to recreate Pandora - probably poorly. The winners are the pirates and the P2P filesharers.

Discuss "Record Companies Open Pandora's Box" here. Read the article.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Thats sad to hear. The record companies are going too far...Again

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thats sad to hear. The record companies are going to far...Again
They are suicidal.:D
Can't you see? It's all part of the lizards plan. If Iraq wasn't enough of an eye opener, then this surely should be. Those shape-shifting bastards aren't going to take my planet without a fight!

Ahhhh. Padded walls. So comfy. And this white jacket is strangely soothing.

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
I was thinking about it the other day...

What makes me buy a cd? The answer, usually I will hear a number of songs on the radio and like them and will then buy the cd. So the radio is to record companies as to what commercials are to everyone else...

Only I actually do buy things based on what I hear on the radio. Commercials do not persuade me to buy anything..

rplotkin

Audiophyte
Pandora gets me to buy music

Over the past year (our first with a Pandora subscription), my wife and I have purchased 15 albums (most on CD) because of what we've heard on it. Prior to that, our purchasing was one or two albums a year (at most). Recording industry really needs to screw their collective head on straight; I can't be the only one who's buying more now.

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
This is stupid. Quite a few of my friends stopped or drastically reduced illegal downloading once they discovered Pandora as a replacement (predicated by the rate at which people were getting caught at my college). You would think that record companies would support legal avenues of music distribution. But I guess if they were rational they wouldn't sue their consumer base.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
The record companies have been their own worst enemy for as long as I can remember. Apparently nothing has changed.

Our marketplace is now down to a single independent store that sells records and CD's. We used to have 4 of them. I wonder how long before there are none.

This kind of stuff makes me want to start stealing music to be honest...lol. Whatever it takes to get them to understand the relationships between choice, selection and increased profits.

They need some kind of message, cause apparently they aren't getting it.

kay

kay

Audioholic
I'm still buying CDs...

One other point they are missing entirely is that the world is now a global marketplace. In the country where I currently reside - South Africa - there is no legal way of purchasing music online. iTunes and Amazon MP3 for instance refuse to sell locally, citing licensing restrictions.

I am increasingly turning to Last.fm to discover new music, sample it there or via P2P, and buy the (DRM-free) CD online if I like it. I get cool interactivity, maximum quality, and a physical object in the end. Mostly clean conscience too although the file sharing step is obviously illegal ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis